Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,595 times

Advertisements

Hello - we are moving to Wellesley this summer, and will be living near Babson College. Our two younger children ages 5 and 9 will attend Fiske School, and another will attend the middle school. I would love any information on these schools from parents or others familiar with them. I did notice that the facility at Fiske looked a little dated (from the external pictures), but I also see that it has excellent scores and seems to be a very friendly environment. Any insights on why people choose the multigrade classrooms (or avoid them) would also be helpful. I understand that the middle school does not 'track', except for in math, and wondered how well this has worked. Any comments from individual experience would be great.

Last edited by jnr6h; 05-19-2008 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 77,315 times
I actually attended Fiske, Wellesley Middle School, and Wellesley High School. Although I strongly dislike Wellesley as a community, I must admit that their school system is pretty superior. Although Fiske is a little outdated, they do have a rather new library. The teachers are excellent and the school systems strive to educate the students on diversity (even though there hardly is any in the town!) and special needs/disabilities at a young age. The only thing that some parents are concerned about with Fiske is that the district includes Barton Rd., one of Wellesley's low-income/projects streets. I really didn't mind it, but everyone (children and parents) was very aware of who came from that street and who didn't.

As for the middle school, it is also very good. The school strives to bring academics and college aspirations to the forefront of the students' minds at this point. Also, my class was one of the first to go through the MCAS testing. The teachers spent months preparing us for the tests, which included practice testing, meditation, and provisions of fortified water (I'm not kidding about this!).

All in all, Wellesley spends their tax money well when it comes to public schools. My sister attended private schools all her life, and I honestly think that the education I recieved through Wellesley public schools was comparable if not better than hers! But, be aware that your children will be judged critically by their peers based on your family's financial security. This is something I could not get over about going to school in Wellesley- the children are incredibly materialistic and competitive when it comes to popularity.

Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,595 times
Thanks very much for your response. It is especially helpful to hear from someone who attended these schools. I am (somewhat) surprised at the materialism you felt you encountered among the student population (especially at elementary age!). At the same time, this is probably a broader commentary on our society more generally, rather than just Wellesley. I would think that the college professors' kids (Wellesley and Babson) must also attend these local schools, and we college professors are not in the upper echelons when it comes to income! In any case, thank you for your thoughtful appraisal of your experience.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 77,315 times
I kid you not about the intense materialism being specific to Wellesley! It's possible that it was just my generation (I highly doubt it). I entered the Fiske school in 4th grade and I clearly remember the other kids asking me how much was in my savings account! It must have been their way to assess the newcomer. It was a little confusing to me at that time. Regardless, I made great friends in that school, whom I have kept in touch with to this day.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
Wellesley High School has an awesome principal, BTW. I just hope that the town is able to come up with the funding to update the facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: