Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,160,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Margaritaville is going in the McCormick & Schmick's space, not Margaritas. I think this is the lesser of two evils. Margaritaville is a tacky, touristy, Jimmy Buffet/Florida-Caribbean themed restaurant (which should do fine in Faneuil Hall). Margaritas is a god-awful regional suburban chain of "Mexican" restaurants. While i'm no fan of Margaritaville, I definitely prefer it over Margaritas which would just be a low rent, redundant version of Mija's.
The giant fiberglass Margaritaville blenders as decor are a rather, er, 'fun' touch.

Many years back I was a CO-OP for a Boston design/brand consultancy which worked with the Margaritaville group. Every design review seemed to end with their marketing team chanting "more kitsch". Eventually the then design director, who was a very talented Euro import, grew weary and requested that I abandon all constraint and good taste and quote "drown them in their f____ kitsch". 15 years later I can still walk into a local BBBY or Kohls and see that awful design work captured as commercial product. I loathe that brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 09:34 AM

12,983 posts, read 22,165,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The giant fiberglass Margaritaville blenders as decor are a rather, er, 'fun' touch.

Many years back I was a CO-OP for a Boston design/brand consultancy which worked with the Margaritaville group. Every design review seemed to end with their marketing team chanting "more kitsch". Eventually the then design director, who was a very talented Euro import, grew weary and requested that I abandon all constraint and good taste and quote "drown them in their f____ kitsch". 15 years later I can still walk into a local BBBY or Kohls and see that awful design work captured as commercial product. I loathe that brand.
That sounds absolutely soul crushing.

I hate the kitsch, and I'm not looking forward to seeing it juxtaposed against the centuries old buildings of Faneuil Hall Marketplace. If we have to have a Margaritaville, it seams like the Seaport would have been a more palatable spot (giant blenders, bright Adirondack chairs, and fake illuminated palm trees might even serve to make the value-engineered glass boxes a bit more interesting), but Faneuil Hall seems doomed to be a tourist trap for the foreseeable future. Still, I think I'd take Margaritaville's kitcsch Times Square/Pigeon Forge/Orlando/Vegas atmosphere over the depressing Revere Comfort Inn atmosphere of Margaritas.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:45 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,221,951 times
Quote:
Margaritaville is going in the McCormick & Schmick's space, not Margaritas. I think this is the lesser of two evils. Margaritaville is a tacky, touristy, Jimmy Buffet/Florida-Caribbean themed restaurant (which should do fine in Faneuil Hall). Margaritas is a god-awful regional suburban chain of "Mexican" restaurants. While i'm no fan of Margaritaville, I definitely prefer it over Margaritas which would just be a low rent, redundant version of Mija's.
Thanks for the correction! They all sound alike after awhile.

At least groups and families will be able to gather there and hopefully not pay as much as at the McCormick & Schmick previously there.

Gee, I can't recall what had been there before McCormick, and if it had a patio. At least the McDonald's vacated long ago, across from the cab stand where I think TD Bank is at the corner nowadays.

I do miss the two-level Ghirardelli chocolate store around Quincy Market, but I think it closed pre-Pandemic. Can't recall what's there now.

Even NYC didn't have a Ghirardelli store, at least when I checked online back then.

Another casualty, maybe pandemic related, is Panera Bread on Boylston in the Back Bay. I had walked by numerous times before realizing it was at least tastefully boarded up.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 06-14-2021 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-14-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I found out about Mike's Cambridge one day when I was going to a concert at Sanders and saw people with Mike's boxes. After the concert I found it. I hope to be back when they have concerts again.
I supported Mike's at its newish Assembly Row in Somerville spot several times over the fall and winter. Hopefully I helped keep them in business!

Definitely not the same experience as in the North End, obviously.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 AM

6,831 posts, read 6,101,901 times
Quote:
That sounds absolutely soul crushing.

I hate the kitsch, and I'm not looking forward to seeing it juxtaposed against the centuries old buildings of Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
I think the contrast sounds kind of fun! Quincy Market has been a tourist trap / outdoor mall for half a century. Might as well lean into it at this point.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The Annex should be close to re-opening. It's changed quite a bit on the inside and I'm still seeing frequent activity going on during weekdays when I walk by.

I think you're talking about Greystone on Appleton and Darthmouth? It's been called that for the last year anyway, and if that's the place you're talking about, yeah they're only doing window service. The dining area should be reopening soon though, according to their signs.

Picco had used the open brick area between Tremont/Berkeley/Warren last year for outdoor dining, but they aren't this year. DeLux (no e) also blocked off the street last year and nice to see them doing it again this year.

The real surprise with Giacomo's is that they joined online takeout ordering so you can use a card to pay for dinner. The pandemic forced their hand on cash-only, at least for takeout.

Solas at the Lenox has also re-opened inside dining and glad it has. It's a place I like to hit for a quick dinner on my walk to Fenway.

Five Horses on Columbus also finally reopened.
Okay, yes, it's no longer Appleton Cafe but Greystone. I think I did see the sign but was confused, thinking I was somehow on the wrong block. Hadn't been near there for awhile.

Hmmm...what and where is The Annex? I didn't look it up, but that name escapes me.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:19 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,336,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Okay, yes, it's no longer Appleton Cafe but Greystone. I think I did see the sign but was confused, thinking I was somehow on the wrong block. Hadn't been near there for awhile.

Hmmm...what and where is The Annex? I didn't look it up, but that name escapes me.
On Clarendon, between Appleton and Grey (Warren is next street that's longer than a block). It's just a second Buttery location, but if you live right around there, saves walking over to Shawmut and Union Park.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times
What is Big Night Live like?

Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 PM

1,903 posts, read 1,417,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What is Big Night Live like?
It’s like going to an expensive club in Vegas with bottle service.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:24 PM

1,063 posts, read 712,192 times
I'm just happy the fake Cheers is gone. To me, it was soul crushing to see how they've milked every penny out of that amazing show that went off the air 30 years ago. I hope something better is there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston