Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 11:00 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,932 times

Advertisements

Found it so interesting and how much its stations looks like Chicago's L elevated still in use. The trains are in good shape here no rust and look good too.

Really, seems like it would've been a asset today? Even watching it and living though that era.... this does not seem outdated. People are people. Just as comments say. Kids are in their 40s now and one women saying she just turned 60s would be 90s today.

Boston accents also. There is a thread going about Iconic transit systems of the US and Canada. If the EL was still in Boston.... it would probably be on a iconic list today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtV8U2gjg0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 09:23 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
I would argue that technically speaking the red line from say north quincy to umass is a bit elevated granted it isn't always that high. It does go over the neponset river
https://tinyurl.com/858f5599

Old 03-24-2021, 09:25 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
The stations were just too old and worn. Rickety and couldn't handle the velocity of modern train well. Or so that's what I heard. Never mind the darkening of the street underneath. For a brief period, it led to economic decline in the areas where it was taken down. Immediately spurred to gentrification to the west where it was re-installed.

A portion of the Red line and Gren line are still elevated. I rode the elevated Redvline through Dorchester quite often.

Also these trains are still in use and quite rusty! Boston's EL/T Elevated line's last run in 1987 video of riders comments. So nostalgic and same trains used today...-rusty.jpg

Modern Day Elevated Fields Corner + Boston Accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvw-QnrQJBI

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-24-2021 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
I mean technically the GLX will be the most similarish in some spots in Somerville at years end when completed. Will be neat to see...

Old 03-24-2021, 09:48 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
I miss going to The Penalty Box under the the elevated T rails. It was so romantic back then.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Found it so interesting and how much its stations looks like Chicago's L elevated still in use. The trains are in good shape here no rust and look good too.

Really, seems like it would've been a asset today? Even watching it and living though that era.... this does not seem outdated. People are people. Just as comments say. Kids are in their 40s now and one women saying she just turned 60s would be 90s today.

Boston accents also. There is a thread going about Iconic transit systems of the US and Canada. If the EL was still in Boston.... it would probably be on a iconic list today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtV8U2gjg0
Generally speaking, I think we're better off with subways vs. elevated railways. I would argue that Boston's Central Subway tunnel for the Green Line IS Iconic - it's the oldest in North America and the stations are tight, awkward, and quirky.

I think it would have still worked well today as a spur of the current Orange Line. Today's Orange Line is longer than what it was when the Washington St. Elevated was in use, and it serves more people. But chunks of Roxbury got short shrift with the realignment and the Elevated would have better served those areas than the Silverline does today.

Another good look at one of Boston's old elevated routes is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQNSs6SvOA&t=7s. Skip to 8:35 to see the Green Line approaching the old Garden. I'm too young to have any memory of this, but I work in that area and can imagine what it would look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I would argue that technically speaking the red line from say north quincy to umass is a bit elevated granted it isn't always that high. It does go over the neponset river
https://tinyurl.com/858f5599
Boston has a better, existing elevated railway that's actually getting longer. The Green Line Viaduct between Science Park and Lechmere has been around forever. The GLX project is more than doubling that elevated section, extending it to at least the Brickbottom area of Somerville. Like Science Park, Lechmere will also be an elevated station (the platform and elevator shaft are pretty close to finished).
This is an old video and it's changed a bit since 2014, but it gives you an idea. That'll be about a mile or so of consistent elevated rail.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
The difference between the old Orange line elevated rail and all of today's is that the old Orange line was elevated over city streets. AFAIK, all the "elevated" lines run in right of ways.

One fear when the Orange line came down was that the area would bring in developers and urban pioneers to gentrify the area. That's exactly what happened - for better or worse.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:30 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Platforms were not long enough at some stations for six car trains on the old Washington Street El so I am told and the entire edifice was in very poor condition anyways. Els had lost popularity by the 1970's-80's. New York retained a few but gave up many more as well.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:11 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
There can be advantages and disadvantages of elevation just as with power lines.

Ever go to western NY? nearly all lines are above the ground. why? because it freezes earlier and means you can do more work above. Down south it's nearly all underground, that way you can't see it.

Some argued for EL's when winter storms hit since it would have less snow. But just general maintenance alone on a EL would be harder. How exactly are you going to get a group of mechanics on a EL should something break down?

Old 03-26-2021, 12:24 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Platforms were not long enough at some stations for six car trains on the old Washington Street El so I am told and the entire edifice was in very poor condition anyways. Els had lost popularity by the 1970's-80's. New York retained a few but gave up many more as well.
I heard that too, that the stations were too short.

But as you can sort of see in the video, and I've seen in other videos the conditions of the Orange line El we're very poor by the 1980s. The ornate and dated architecture and fixtures must have served to further complicate things like maintenance, let alone substantive repairs. Even the layout is much more simple now-as are the materials used. MBTA stations have little to no ornamentation and use straightforward buildings materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston