Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 7,205 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a relocation to the Boston area and would be reverse commuting to a job in Waltham. I'm wondering if you folks have any recommendations on neighborhoods to consider that would allow for a reasonable commute to Waltham (about 30 minutes by car during peak rush hour) while meeting some of my other criteria. My preference would be to live in a walkable community closer to the city that offers lots of restaurants, pubs, parks, yoga/fitness studios. I'm a single professional in my mid-thirties so I'd like to avoid the undergrad neighborhoods. I'd probably want to keep my rent to $2500/month or less as well. Thanks for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,666,685 times
Which is higher priority walkable greenspace or cute business district as you won't find both in any of the towns near Waltham? The best fit I can think of for what you are looking for would be Arlington.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:21 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,065,564 times
I would check out West Newton. It has a very cute business district with a number of great restaurants and pubs. Plus, a wonderful independent theater that shows "art" films. Lots of parks/playgrounds in the area and extremely easy access to both Boston and Waltham from that area. I'm not sure what $2500/month gets you there though as I don't generally deal with rentals.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:44 PM

17 posts, read 37,040 times
I would look around Fresh Pond and Huron Village. The former will give you green space you crave while the latter will provide the walkable business district. There are some grad students but it's largely devoid of undergraduates. You should consistently be able to do around 30 minutes during rush hour since you won't need any highways.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 AM

546 posts, read 1,379,960 times
Waltham itself may be a great place. I lived there for a while and it was great. After reading your post, I believe that parts of Waltham would fit for you and that would be much less of a commute which means more time doing better things than working.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 PM

3,692 posts, read 7,450,081 times
I'm not sure Waltham really qualifies as a "reverse commute" from any location. It's proximity to routes 128, 2 and 20 mean that you are pretty convenient to many locations but you also encounter traffic in all directions.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM

546 posts, read 1,379,960 times
gf2020, my comments were meant to suggest Waltham itself as a place to live in lieu of a commute as it may fit the requirements of what2d369. Less commute, more personal time. I should have been clearer.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,185,771 times
I would look into Central Square in Cambridge, or Porter Square & Davis Square on the Cambridge/Somerville line. These neighborhoods are more walkable, vibrant, and well-connected to the city than the previous recommendations, although you will also probably get less for your money here. There are some undergraduates living in all of these neighborhoods, but they do not dominate in the same way that they do in, say, Harvard Square or Allston-Brighton. These are very "leafy" parts of the city with lots of small parks scattered about. Central is close to the river, while Davis is bisected by a bike trail that links up with the Minuteman Trail (and Spy Pond etc.). Porter isn't too far from Daheny Park and Fresh Pond.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,337,410 times
I used to do a reverse commute from Porter Square to Waltham. It's not too bad, but it can exceed 30 minutes if you are driving home between 4:30-7:30 PM due to a backup of traffic on Rt 2 and Alewife Brook Parkway. On a bad day its takes an hour sometimes, but average is probably 30-40. The drive from Porter to Waltham in the morning is not as bad, under 30 minutes.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 37,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
I used to do a reverse commute from Porter Square to Waltham. It's not too bad, but it can exceed 30 minutes if you are driving home between 4:30-7:30 PM due to a backup of traffic on Rt 2 and Alewife Brook Parkway. On a bad day its takes an hour sometimes, but average is probably 30-40. The drive from Porter to Waltham in the morning is not as bad, under 30 minutes.
This is correct, which is one of the reasons why I recommended Fresh Pond rather than the usual Red Line neighborhoods. It's quite difficult to do a 30 hour commute with these congested neighborhoods. For Fresh Pond, one can easily get off route 2 before the Alewife backup and take the relatively quiet side streets in Belmont (if one even takes route 2 from Waltham which is not a given). Trying to make that left turn onto Alewife Brook Parkway during rush hour and navigating the streets of East Arlington and West Somerville is road rage waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston