Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 AM

130 posts, read 832,481 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I'm getting confused and could use a little guidance.

We've got 2 toddlers, so would prefer a more family friendly area, if that exists...

Anyhow, I've read archives, and some posts make JP sound like it's better left alone, and other posts suggest it to people with kids...

What's the scoop? Is it some areas are great, but 2 blocks away it's dangerous? Or ??????

Just trying to tell if we should be looking here or not.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Jamaica Plain is part of City of Boston. It is part of a city. If someone want extreme safety, this is probably not the place. However, compare to other parts of the city, it is not too bad. It offers a lot of green space. West Roxbury (area E-5) is another area in city of Boston to look at.

The following is a good description:
The Friendly and Diverse Community of Jamaica Plain, Boston

Fondly known as "JP" among the locals, this area was originally a "streetcar suburb" that is now a bustling neighborhood with a diverse community. Its population mainly consists of Hispanics that migrated from Dominican Republic and Cuba. Jamaica Plain is also known for its active lesbian and gay community, along with a young population consisting of student renters who go to nearby colleges and universities. Full of Spanish flavor, this neighborhood boasts a rich blend of different cultures that can be seen in its business establishments and local cuisine. A pedestrian-friendly area, residents and newcomers enjoy spacious and uncluttered streets where many citizens walk or ride a bike to get around. Having a population of about 14,309 residents, Jamaica Plain is near high-quality learning institutions like the Massachusetts College of Art and the Roxbury Community College. The average family income of JP residents amount to a total of $43,863.00, just enough for the neighborhood's affordable cost of living expenses. As for the crime rate, it is higher than the US average but efforts have been made by the local government to curb it down.

Jamaica Plain: Boston Crime

Crime statistics. Jamaica Plain is area E-13 and E-18. Area A is downtown Boston.
http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/police/divisions/pdfs/Crime_stats_10-8-07.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-03-2007, 09:36 PM

130 posts, read 832,481 times
Thanks, Smarty!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 57,163 times
I live in JP, and I really like it. I've never had a problem with crime, and generally the area is pretty quiet and very safe. Jamaica Pond, and the Aboretum are a great place to take the kids in the spring thru fall. I see lots of families around, everyone seems pretty happy.

General rule of thumb for JP, the further you are from Washington street and Forest Hills the better. Also stay out of Roslindale.

Depending on how far away you want to be from the city, I would suggest looking for a place in Watertown or Arlington. They are just close enough to the city to get downtown pretty easily, but far enough away to feel like you aren't in the mad rush of the city. Arlington is especially nice, with cute little homes, nice shops, and lots of neat kid related places. Plus you could probably have a car there and not worry about anything. Arlington I think, is very family friendly area. You can also get to the city via public transportation.

JP can be a great place to live, just keep looking!

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:37 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonmo View Post
I live in JP, and I really like it. I've never had a problem with crime, and generally the area is pretty quiet and very safe. Jamaica Pond, and the Aboretum are a great place to take the kids in the spring thru fall. I see lots of families around, everyone seems pretty happy.

General rule of thumb for JP, the further you are from Washington street and Forest Hills the better. Also stay out of Roslindale.

Good luck!

WHY would you advise them to stay out of Roslindale? have you seen Roslindale Sq. lately? it's actually quite nice (small restaurants, including a sushi place, a nice neighborhood grocery store, lots of other small stores). the houses near the Sq. (on the side streets opposite the commuter rail) are very nice, near the Arboretum, and cheap (about $1200 for a 2 bed last I checked). the commute is great w/ about 6+ buses all going to Forest Hill and the commuter rail stop right there that can whisk you away to Back Bay in less than 30 minutes (and, last I remember, it didn't cost extra to ride b/c it's w/in the Boston zone). I'd recommend rosi Sq. in an instance to any family. I would probably stay away from the parts of Roslindale near Forest Hills and Mattapan, especially the areas near the project on Archdale and the area near the Mt Hope cemetery on the Roslindale/Mattapan border.

as for JP, most of it is quite fine. I'd avoid the areas close to Forest Hills (unless you're across the street from the Arboretum), the areas close to the Jackson Sq. T stop and the Bromely-Heath projects (one of the worse projects in Boston), Mozart Park area, and the areas directly off of Washington St (the closer you are to Huntington Ave/Centre St, the better)

Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 AM

142 posts, read 660,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonmo View Post

Depending on how far away you want to be from the city, I would suggest looking for a place in Watertown or Arlington. They are just close enough to the city to get downtown pretty easily, but far enough away to feel like you aren't in the mad rush of the city. Arlington is especially nice, with cute little homes, nice shops, and lots of neat kid related places. Plus you could probably have a car there and not worry about anything. Arlington I think, is very family friendly area. You can also get to the city via public transportation.

Good luck!
I'd have to second the opinion on Roslindale. While it does have its fair share of problems, it's not a bad place for a young family looking to get established. Roslindale Square is pretty vibrant in comparison to many other areas, and there's a number of families in the area. One of the areas adjacent to Roslindale, West Roxbury, is probably the safest area in the city to live and raise a family. It almost looks and feels like a suburb. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend looking for housing in the Roslindale/West Roxbury area.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM

199 posts, read 800,545 times
yea I'm also puzzled by the "avoid roslindale" suggestion. Roslindale Sq has a neat "main street" feel to it, but it's still very urban. It's close to both the Arnold Arboretum and the Stony Brook reservation, which are terrific urban "green" spaces with very different character to each. Granted, Roslindale is pretty big and it borders Roxbury and Mattapan, but as long as you stay away from those borders (to the east and northeast) you will be fine. Washington St. is only sketchy when you get really close to Forest Hills, and even still it's hardly a "ghetto", though it gets a bit worse if you go further north. The main area to avoid is Columbus Ave/Rt 28 (stay as far west of this as possible). The Bromley-Heath projects at the Jackson Sq. T stop also has a reputation.

but maybe others can shed more light...

Old 12-05-2007, 11:09 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
I wouldn't recommend Jamaica Plain if you have a family. JP is great for young people and young childless couples. You don't want the extra stress of having little kids walking down the wrong side of the tracks. If you have kids, why not try Brookline, Arlington, or Newton. All are pretty close commuting distance to downtown Boston for work and are on the T.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 AM

33 posts, read 250,040 times
I actually got mugged there twice. I would not recommend JP to anyone with kids. It is not a very safe neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
I actually got mugged there twice. I would not recommend JP to anyone with kids. It is not a very safe neighborhood.

I've seen tons of kids in and around JP, esp. with the pond so close by. there's even a great toy store (I think it's called Boinks, wonder if it's still there?) right on Centre. it's not Newton safe, but it's no where near as dangerous as parts of Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan.

JP is up and coming, but isn't all that dangerous in the majoirty of the area. so long as you use common strret sense and avoid the areas previously mentioned, you shouldn't have any trouble there at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston