Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,369 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
While going to college in Boston, my son is renting a 8 bedroom house (I haven't seen the place) and is paying a broker's fee of one month's rent. But so are each of the other 7 people living in the same house, for a total broker's fee of $7,200. This sounds like highway robbery and wanted to get some input from people with some more experience in this area than me. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
It should be his share of the 1 month's rent - or 1 month's rent total for the apartment.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 AM

974 posts, read 1,900,439 times
Brokers renting to students are sharks. Boston has tightened rental laws regarding college students. I recommend reviewing the Mayor's guide to help you and your son with this. Eight undergraduates --if they are-- in one house is illegal. Boston tries to protect all its citizens from unscrupulous practices.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/Images_D..._tcm3-9669.pdf

Q: I am a full-time college freshman. Is it legal for me to move into an apartment in Boston with my five friends, all of whom are also full-time undergrads?
A: No, the maximum number of full-time undergraduate college students who may share a dwelling is four (4).

Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,369 times
I looked at the resource and informed my son regarding the number of tenants. I also have the phone number of the agency to call about the broker's fee. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Sounds like a shark taking advantage. having a bunch of "kids" move into a place can be a landlords nightmare you never know who is coming and going. It is best to have one person responsible for the rent instead of having to chase 3-4 or 10.
Good advice from the above posters

Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Room tenants with separate leases are, unfortunately, normal practices up here with college students. Boston cracked down years ago because of the unsafe housing conditions and the negative impact on neighborhoods.

City residents, myself included, prefer to have students housed on campus for our sakes and theirs. They are taken for so much money and the conditions don't improve. Likewise, student off campus behavior can be atrocious. Ask anyone by BC or Northeastern.

As a parent, I don't know if I would want my child living in unsafe off-campus housing-- no fire sprinklers, unsafe porches, fire exits impassable, unknown tenants, etc -- AND paying $12,000 a year for these conditions.

Sure, the broker fee is high but a fee equal to one month's rent is allowed.

My concern would be more about the house's safety--- don't assume it's up to code.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM

289 posts, read 568,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momjon View Post
Hi All,
While going to college in Boston, my son is renting a 8 bedroom house (I haven't seen the place) and is paying a broker's fee of one month's rent. But so are each of the other 7 people living in the same house, for a total broker's fee of $7,200. This sounds like highway robbery and wanted to get some input from people with some more experience in this area than me. Thanks in advance!

I don't anything about the legality, but if the total all eight are paying is $7200, that's $900 apiece, and there's no way anyone is renting an 8 bedroom house for $900 a month. But $7200 a month is **mighty** pricey unless it's a Tom Brady type place complete with the moat. So something is definitely up, somewhere halfway between too much and too little.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM

It's pricey for a group and if you think you're actually getting a real home.

Landlords and brokers package each room in the house (LR, DR, etc.) as a bedroom in order to get at a certain price point parents/ students/ new grads find "affordable" while maximizing their profit. Studios start at $1100 so, by comparison, $700-$900 for a room is affordable for them and their needs.

College rentals are lucrative because most out of town renters aren't "caveat emptor" as they show up Sept 1 with the U-haul van along with 150,000 other college student.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...iversities.pdf

Packards Corner 10 Bed 4 Bath House with 3 Decks & Yard! Parking for 4

MASSIVE 7 BED 2 BATH FOR SEPTEMBER 1ST--ON ASHFORD ST--

Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
I always have tried to find a place to rent where the actual owner, or management company is the one doing all the ads and the whole rental process. It's easier, more straightforward and you don't have to worry about paying a broker fee on top of security and a month or two of rent upfront.

In general, my experiences with rental agents has not been that great. They are just trying to shove people into apartments so the agency can make money. You will have some owners giving their listings to 2, 3, or even 4 agencies. Smart on their part, but bad for the prospective renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: