Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,030 times

Advertisements

Wait, I'm confused so I can't give any advice yet. Will you be taking classes at both schools or are are you still deciding between them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM

15 posts, read 19,480 times
Okay great! Thank you so much for all your help Verseau

Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjacjac View Post
Hello everyone! I am female in her mid 20's and I will be moving to Boston next year as a student. I have been to Boston a handful of times and loved everything about it. I am looking into attending Umass Boston and BU. I will also be financially okay and will be getting paid by the VA to attend school since I was in the military for 4 years. I won't have my car and will be using the T. Any advice in what area of Boston I should live? I was looking into Dorchester since it is close to Umass and Allston/Brookline since that is close to BU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjacjac View Post
I'm a pretty laid back individual and I'm focused on getting college done, but I would like to make friends and go out once in a while. I'd like my free time to be away from the university.

Good luck. I was just going to point out to avoid allston all together as it is an Undergrad party mecca. I live near Allston in a quieter part of Brighton but theres still broken beer bottles everywhere, puke on the side walk almost every night, yelling on the streets late at night, and kids who are disrespectful to this neighborhood.

I guess because this isn't home for them they think nothing of littering and trashing the streets. Just take a walk around Harvard Ave in Allston and Commonwealth ave.

Allston/Brighton is expensive and safe practically 24/7. Studios are only 100 bucks less a month than in Brookline and roomies generally pay $700-$850. The only reason people call it a student ghetto is because when the students move back in September the streets are once again trashed, filled with broken glass, and the neighborhood goes to **** again.

If you go to BU, I strongly suggest looking into Fenway area or even better Brookline.

I did look at 2 or 3 roommate situations in Brookline near Washington square. Rent was $800 a month to live in an old, dark building, with an old 1920s style elevator that was not in use in the middle of the stair well.

These places were shared with other students who kept the place disgusting. Dirty kitchens that looked like something out of a third world country boarding house, filthy bathrooms, and living rooms that could easily be featured on shows like clean house.

It's almost hard for me to watch this area once school is back in session. My neighborhood in Brighton is filled with university staff, orthodox Jews, older couples, and retired people. It so nice and calm and almost wholesome. But once classes start in Fall all of the sudden the streets are disgusting and empty cardboard beer can boxes mysteriously appear on these elder's or families lawns and I have to weave my dog around broken glass and vomit.

My theory is that most of the students in Allston/Brighton are from wealthy families tuition at BU is $40,000 and BC $50,000 and don't really have any drive to study so they just party Wednesday-Sunday.

Also, I'm not some puritan uptight person. I was a bartender in Miami for 5 years. I know drunks and work with drunks...this is beyond anything I have ever seen.

I like to go out and be social over some drinks, but this is pretty much non-functional alcoholism that is tolerated because they are students.

If I didn't go to BC I would leave Brighton for Brookline, West Roxbury, JP, or even Fenway area.

I know nothing of UMASS and Dorchester.

I can't wait to graduate
~ A 23 year old undergrad.

Edit: My sources:

I grew up in Brookline near BU and Coolidge Corner

I live in Brighton

The book called "The Price of Affluence" (Its always carried and on display at the BC bookstore) it's very interesting to read as a "non traditional" college student in a traditional college town.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
I love Central Square. It's eclectic and full of shops and interesting places to eat.

If I wasn't going to BC I would consider that part of Cambridge.

Also its walking distance to *gasp8 Harvard Square

Coolidge Corner is the best hands down. You can run all your errands there by foot in a clean, diverse, and generally friendly environment.

There are tons of benches and some greenspace to sit and relax.

There are also two GREAT gyms (expensive, at least $80 a month) in Coolidge.

My rental budget is 1,000 a month as well and I have a vehicle and still have not been able to find a place near Coolidge yet

without a car, you may have better luck. Honestly, CC is so worth it, I would even look into rooming with a young professional or older student like yourself.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM

Wow great info Pear Martini. I was originally supposed to move to Brookline when I first go out of the military in February and when I went to check out places there was puke on the sidewalk. I ended up moving to Denver instead (not because of the puke but things weren't working out in finding a place in time). I do believe in what you were stating and I'm not too fond of that. I like a clean and responsible lifestyle. I don't come from a wealthy family so my intentions are not to abuse my way of paying for my education. I am wanting to get into Umass over BU. I will look into Central Square, even though it's on the other side of the Charles River. Fenway would be great as well!! I was going to ask about gyms. I'd like one to be relatively close to me so I can squeeze in a quick work out. I am dead set on moving to Boston, but as I can see I know my difficulties will be finding people to live with in the right area.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times
Pretty much everything one bedroom I've looked at around central square are around the 1,900-2,000 range.
I'm looking to move to Cambridge area as well, but it seems not sharing rooms will make it hard.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM

When are you making the move to Cambridge?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM

13 posts, read 30,841 times
Just out curiosity, why Umass over BU?

If money wasn't an issue, I would say the South End/ Back Bay, but I agree with everyone here - Cambridge is really fun, lots of young professionals and shouldn't be *too* hard to meet people. Easy commute to Umass too (just hop on the red line), although I'm not sure how far Umass is from the red line stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston