Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 16,779 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am considering a job in Woonsocket, Rhode Island and I am more interested in living in Boston than Providence. If I were to make this move, what areas of Boston would be good to live? I have looked on Google Maps for ideas about driving time from various towns in Boston (Brookline, Cambridge, Newton, Somerville, etc.) but it hasn't been very helpful since it doesn't have a "calculate commute during rush hour" button.

I am looking for a fairly urban environment in which I have access to public transportation and can easily walk places. As I am a female in my mid-20s and would be living alone, safety is a concern.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavideo View Post
Hey everyone. I am considering a job in Woonsocket, Rhode Island and I am more interested in living in Boston than Providence. If I were to make this move, what areas of Boston would be good to live? I have looked on Google Maps for ideas about driving time from various towns in Boston (Brookline, Cambridge, Newton, Somerville, etc.) but it hasn't been very helpful since it doesn't have a "calculate commute during rush hour" button.

I am looking for a fairly urban environment in which I have access to public transportation and can easily walk places. As I am a female in my mid-20s and would be living alone, safety is a concern.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
It's difficult to respond, since you're including many suburbs in your definition of Boston. So, I don't know where you think "not Boston" begins. That said, I would suggest that you look at a town like Norwood. It's far enough out that you could pretty easily get to Woonsocket. It has ready access to Boston via commuter rail and has a really nice town center with a lot of shops and restaurants (many of them ethnic). You would also be pretty safe walking around Norwood. If you took the back roads through Norfolk, you'd be in Woonsocket in no time. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston