Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM

13 posts, read 26,942 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone more familiar with the city can share some advice. I currently live in the South Shore but want to live closer to work. I work in the Longwood medical area, and also attend classes part time at UMass Boston, so I have to be able to get there with minimal hassle two or three times a week. I see adds for Chestnut Hill and Brighton that are really nice with lots of amenities but I worry that with the location comes a horrible commute. I want to spend $1600 on a 2 BR and don't want to spend more than 15 minutes driving to work. I will have to drive several days a week as I go straight to class after. Jamaica Plain and Dorchester are definite contenders. Roslindale is lovely and West Roxbury is supposed to be nice too, but are they too far for my commute requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Since you need to get to two different locations, you probably want to focus on somewhere that is essentially in between. This leaves out Chestnut Hill and Brighton. I think your best bet would be Jamaica Plain or Roslindale. Both are quite close to LMA (10 to 15 minute drive), and not too much further away from U/Mass. You can use the Jamaica Way/Arborway/Morton St./Gallivan Blvd./Rt. 203 path to connect all of those things together, and keep your driving time to a minimum.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Chestnut Hill wouldn't be TOO bad. There's a shortcut from Longwood to UMass by taking Norfolk St instead of Mass Ave. !5 minutes would be optimistic though. IF ya go the $, South End would be best. Lonwood Fenway or Brookline Village too, but prolly a 1 bdrm not two.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 PM

13 posts, read 26,942 times
Thanks for the info. Focusing on JP mostly I think. Everyone I talk to speaks so highly of it. Gonna have to try to Norfolk St short cut! Thanks!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:48 PM

16 posts, read 35,717 times
Try to find someplace near Forest Hills Station. It is central to JP, Roslindale and Hyde Park.
There is a nice little section - Wyvern St off of Hyde Park Ave that is very convenient to those comuunting to those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston