Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 14,878 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Boston in March and are trying to figure out the best neighborhood for us. We are both young professionals and are looking for an area with great restaurants (we are foodies) and within walking distance to a larger supermarket (Shaw's/Star, Trader Joe's, Foodie's, Foodmaster - my wife for whatever reason doesn't like Whole Foods, so we'll count that out). We also have a small dog (15lbs), so a neighborhood that's pet friendly would be ideal. We're hoping to rent a 2 bedroom with ~1,000sq ft for around $3,000. We don't have a car, so parking is a non-issue.

We are thinking South End (which could be a little too expensive), Brookline (around Coolidge Corner) or Central Square/Cambridgeport...completely open to suggestions though.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by yonahboy99; 01-05-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonahboy99 View Post
My wife and I are moving to Boston in March and are trying to figure out the best neighborhood for us. We are both young professionals and are looking for an area with great restaurants (we are foodies) and within walking distance to a larger supermarket (Shaw's/Star, Trader Joe's, Foodie's, Foodmaster - my wife for whatever reason doesn't like Whole Foods, so we'll count that out). We also have a small dog (15lbs), so a neighborhood that's pet friendly would be ideal. We're hoping to rent a 2 bedroom with ~1,000sq ft for around $3,000. We don't have a car, so parking is a non-issue.

We are thinking South End (which could be a little too expensive), Brookline (around Coolidge Corner) or Central Square/Cambridgeport...completely open to suggestions though.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
South End sounds ideal for you. I moved here in October, and there are many excellent restaurants right in the neighborhood. It's walkable to Shaw's (it's about a 10-15 minute walk from my place), and Trader Joe's isn't too far from Shaw's (there's one on Boylston Street in Back Bay).

There are dogs everywhere here. There is a dog park (Peter's Park) and even a dog bakery.

The only issue might be finding an apartment that meets all of your criteria. You might have to settle for less space or for one in an area a bit further away from the heart of the South End to fit within your budget. But it may be doable. A few tips:

1) Sign up for daily MLS listings from a realtor so you can see what comes on the market.

2) Check craigslist multiple times a day, and focus on the for rent by owner apartments. I found my place this way, and with a little luck and paying first and last month's rent and a security deposit up front, got an apartment I wanted very quickly.

3) It is somewhat tougher to find a place that takes dogs. If the ad doesn't specify, ask. Especially if your dog is particularly well-behaved.

4) You probably know this, but the South End is different from South Boston. The two neighborhoods have different atmospheres.

Best of luck, and welcome to Boston. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 14,878 times
Coming from NYC, one thing we won't compromise on is space. We started in NYC with a small (400sq ft) apartment, then stepped it up to a relatively spacious 1br 700sq ft apartment which is where we currently live. I realize we're now looking for a 2br, but we really can't justify moving into a new apartment that's smaller (on a per room basis) than what we have now. Will definitely look on craigslist. Agree that we may have to consider apartments slightly removed from the heart of South End to fit our budget.

If we determine that we can't find anything within our budget in South End, what's the next best place?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
I noticed a site called bostonluxury.com with lots of upscale listings, but unsure if prices are included.

Apartmentguide.com has listings, often with prices. I'll often pick up their monthly free booklet just to browse listings out of curiosity.

1330 Boylston Street (own web site) and adjacent Trilogy apts. are modern but very $$$ in the Fenway, close to Shaw's supermarket and with 15 minutes' walk to Trader Joe's and WFM.

Archstone properties has several costly complexes in and around Boston. I know their Cambridge building allows some pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston