Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,664 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

We are contemplating accepting a position at Umass boston but we really don't know the towns near the University. Can we buy a decent home near the university or will we have to live in expensive Boston? Is Quincy a nice place to live? Thank you for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:39 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Quincy is ok...I've rented there for over 6 years now. Some areas are very blue collar, others middle class and Irish. As other posts on the "Boston" forum have mentioned, you'll find a very large Chinese population in N. Quincy and other sections. Not sure when they first descended here en masse. Many have opened restaurants, bakeries, tailors, etc. Some parts of Quincy at Marina Bay, Wollaston Hill and pockets off Furnace Brook Parkway as well as Squantum are pleasant.

The city just opened a new High School across from the YMCA, near the main library. So far, the three branch libraries are still in opration.

One still hears what I consider a thick Boston accent here,

I think South Quincy has an Italian Festival in the summer; not sure how many Italians are left here, though.

Great bus and subway access to Boston. Some parts of Quincy are near beaches. Quincy Shore Drive is lovely when the sun sets or rises. Some history to the city, esp. with that HBO special a couple years ago on John Quincy Adams. There's even a trolley tour in season highlighting certain points of interest. John Hancock is buried off of Hancock Street if I'm not mistaken.

Today was the holiday parade with Santa's appearance. Around Flag Day, the city has a parade and nice fireworks.

Some people don't like Quincy while others do.

Not many blacks here. More of a recent Indian population.

$350,000 gets you a bungalow (3 BR?) with a small yard and houses all around. You'll find fancy condos and rentals nowadays, unlike years ago.

As I mentioned, check the archives on the adjacent Boston forum for more Quincy info.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
Quincy has been discussed quite a bit on these boards (plug in "Quincy" in the search function). I lived in Quincy for a few years and I think it has some pretty nice areas. One drawback, however, would be the school system. It's not terrible, but it's not the greatest. So it may be an issue if you have children. Other than that, what is your budget, what kind of area are you looking to live in (urban, suburban, etc.), do you have kids, are you going to be driving to work or do you need access to the T?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston