Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 16,536 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the Boston area and will be working in Newton. I would prefer to live in Boston and reverse commute if it is feasible. I have done some research online, and it seems like living in Back Bay near the Kenmore or Hynes T station wouldn't be a bad reverse commute.

Does anyone have any experience with this commute? I would greatly appreciate any comments on my tentative plan, or suggestions that may work better. Also, is the area nice near the Kenmore T station or would closer to the Hynes station be better? I thought the Kenmore area might be good since it is 1 stop closer to Newton, but I'm not that familiar with the area.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Where in Newton? I'm gathering your job is along the D line. For a reverse commute, the D line is the best bet assuming the job is convenient to it. The commuter rail to Newtonville, West Newton or Auburndale from Back Bay station is not really an option. The first outbound train stopping at those Newton commuter rail stations is at something like 11AM. The schedule heavily favors the commute into Boston, and those Newton stations are bypassed by many trains for some reason.

Between Hynes and Kenmore, I'd probably go for Hynes. Hynes is right on Mass. Av, which is a bustling area with more noise and traffic, but it's a short walk from the blocks of Comm Av or Marlboro that are near Mass. Av., as well as Hereford St and Gloucester St. Those blocks are pricy and have some tiny apts, though. West of Mass. Av., toward the Fens, is a heavily undergrad area.

Kenmore is overrun 81 days a year, if not more, with Red Sox games. Also a lot of Lansdowne St nightlife people around. The main residential blocks near there are dominated by BU and other students, including a healthy dose of frat houses.

You might also consider Brookline Village or Washington Square in Brookline. Although Brookline is a separate town, those areas are not what you'd call suburban. Brookline Village and the area along Beacon St. are quite urban and there are a lot of things to do there. The D line stops at Brookline Village and at Beaconsfield, which is near Washington Square (a stop on the C line). It's closer to Newton and still easily accessible to Boston.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your advice and info on the area. The job is close to the Newton Highlands station on the D line, and there is a shuttle bus to the office. Is the triangle west of Mass. Ave, Beacon to the north, and Commonwealth to the south, mostly college students? Is that Kenmore? I thought that area would be close to the Kenmore station and nice, but still like Back Bay, but I'm not really familiar with it? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Your perception is generally right for the area north of the Pike between Mass. Av. and Charlesgate. West of Charlesgate is definitely Kenmore in my book. That area still looks not too different from the Back Bay but there are more cheap eateries and bars, and more foot traffic. Plus there's a BU dorm at the corner of Beacon and Bay State Rd. The same block (Beacon between Charlesgate W and Raleigh) also has a couple of fraternities as I recall.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
The stretch between Mass Ave and Kenmore Sq is a mix of people. You are very close to BU and holden is correct that several MIT fraternities make their home in the area. I wouldn't discount it entirely, but I'd stay on Comm Ave (side closest to Newbury St) and near Mass Ave to avoid the college crowd.

The area near Hynes and even Copley is great. Not sure how much research you've done, but as a caveat, Back Bay is one of the priciest neighborhoods in Boston so be prepared to pay $$$ to live there.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Default Brookline Village

Check out Brookline - Brookline Village, its an easy commute to Newton "T" Access. "D" Line.
Quaint little "village" :P tho a bit bigger than a 'village' in New Hampshire or Vermont :P

Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
The stretch between Mass Ave and Kenmore Sq is a mix of people. You are very close to BU and holden is correct that several MIT fraternities make their home in the area. I wouldn't discount it entirely, but I'd stay on Comm Ave (side closest to Newbury St) and near Mass Ave to avoid the college crowd.

The area near Hynes and even Copley is great. Not sure how much research you've done, but as a caveat, Back Bay is one of the priciest neighborhoods in Boston so be prepared to pay $$$ to live there.
Money in Bean town in the city is just that, great advice Boston in the city is Money and off the city does cost less.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help! Do you need a car to live in Brookline Village? Or is it like Boston where you can get by with walking and public transportation?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Default I'd suggest a car to be able to check out the region but you dont need one if you dont want

They have Zipcar, you can rent for a Day , pick it up from the curb, or you could rent a car when you needed one, and take the "T" There's the D line right in Brookline Village.
it has lots of services right in the small square there
it doesnt hurt tho to have a car so you can explore the region more :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston