Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
DC was the only comic to consider having its characters age. You really didn't see that over in Marvel. You had characters die, but they didn't gradually age.
Back in the 60s it was the opposite - anything could happen to a DC character in the middle of a story, but you could be sure that everything would be back to normal by the last panel. You could take a year's worth of Superman comics and read them in any order. Marvel, on the other hand, had its characters age, grow and change, and the changes in one issue would still be there in the next. You really got a feeling that you were reading the story of the characters' lives. It's really unfortunate that Marvel got away from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The comic book characters that had the most impact on my life was Bucky Bug and his friend Bo.
Your photo album (and username) suggests differently..

Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I haven't read those - but Morrison's run of Animal Man is probably my favorite thing to come out of mainstream comics in the 80s.
I understand the frustration of the purists when the Brits (Moore, Morrison, Gaiman, et al) came in and got all post-modern. But I love that stuff.
Never read Animal Man. I've heard it widely praised. But everything I've read of Morrison I really disliked. I don't mind his post-modern plots and such. I just don't think he's a very good writer. His characters talk to the reader rather than each other, his pacing is clumsy, and his attempt to blend adult themes with downright goofiness just rubs me the wrong way.

Moore's stuff is hit and miss with me. I love V For Vendetta. Watchmen is ok. I think it's good, but very over-praised. V For Vendetta is a much better story, better written, and much better art.

I haven't read much of Gaiman's comics work aside from the Marvel work he did a few years ago (which I liked). But I like his novels very much.

Mark Millar is another one of the "post-modern" Brits. I absolutely adore some of his stuff. But other stuff I loathe. Not much middle ground with Millar. I either love his stuff or hate it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Never read Animal Man. I've heard it widely praised. But everything I've read of Morrison I really disliked. I don't mind his post-modern plots and such. I just don't think he's a very good writer. His characters talk to the reader rather than each other, his pacing is clumsy, and his attempt to blend adult themes with downright goofiness just rubs me the wrong way.
I'm pretty sure you will loathe 'Animal Man' then. Morrison goes completely off the wall. At first he just plays with the idea that the character had been resurrected from a previous time in comics history (which is true) but then he goes so far as to put *himself* in the comic to converse with his character about the meaning of life and reality. You would be disgusted I think.

Quote:
Moore's stuff is hit and miss with me. I love V For Vendetta. Watchmen is ok. I think it's good, but very over-praised. V For Vendetta is a much better story, better written, and much better art.
I mostly like Moore because he is hyper-intellectual. 'From Hell' amounts to a long-winded history lesson as well as a graphic novel. Maybe not great for traditional comic fans and I can see why but that stuff just turns me on. What I really want to read is his run of 'Swamp Thing' - been meaning to get on that for years.

Quote:
I haven't read much of Gaiman's comics work aside from the Marvel work he did a few years ago (which I liked). But I like his novels very much.
After I gave up comics as a kid, 'Sandman' helped pull me back in. Haven't read it in years but I remember loving that series.

Quote:
Mark Millar is another one of the "post-modern" Brits. I absolutely adore some of his stuff. But other stuff I loathe. Not much middle ground with Millar. I either love his stuff or hate it.
Been meaning to read more of him, too. I've been hearing good things but I read 'Civil War' and I remember thinking it was full of cliches. Don't remember much else.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you will loathe 'Animal Man' then. Morrison goes completely off the wall. At first he just plays with the idea that the character had been resurrected from a previous time in comics history (which is true) but then he goes so far as to put *himself* in the comic to converse with his character about the meaning of life and reality. You would be disgusted I think.
Well, you're right. Based on your description, I'm disgusted. Sounds like pretentious dreck.

Quote:
Been meaning to read more of him, too. I've been hearing good things but I read 'Civil War' and I remember thinking it was full of cliches. Don't remember much else.
When Millar is writing a character-driven story, he's awesome. When he's writing a plot-driven story, he's awful. And he's very uneven. When he was doing ULTIMATE X-MEN, the first issue was awful. Poorly written cliche. But then the second issue was awesome.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
I rather enjoyed Rising Stars, well until the last act.
I have liked some of the storylines in X-Men, like The Age of Apocalypse.
There was a graphic comic that was I think an offshoot of Aliens that was good.
I also liked Runaways.
I can't deal with waiting every week or month. I have to wait for trade paperbacks.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I'm a little late, but I finally bought a copy of Alison Bechdel's Fun Home last weekend. I'm 35 pages in, and completely hooked. Really, really well done autobiography.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I rather enjoyed Rising Stars, well until the last act.
I LOVED Rising Stars when it first started. The same with Straczynski's Squadron Supreme. Both GREAT STARTS. But something happened in the last act that seemed to drain all the life out of it. Started with a totally cool bang. Ended on a rather uninteresting whimper.

His run on Amazing Spider-Man was ... well, amazing. One of Spidey's best writers in ages.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy
The comic book characters that had the most impact on my life was Bucky Bug and his friend Bo.

Quote:
Your photo album (and username) suggests differently..
By the time The Freak Brothers came around, I was already one of them, but it was my fascination with Bucky Bug and Bo when I was a little kid that made me love alternative ways of living and using different "found/free" things.

I wish I could have slept in that sardine can four poster bed that Bucky's girlfriend had, and I loved those sewing thread tables they used.

During our Hippie years, we made furniture from cable spools we got from the local utility company.

If Bucky Bug was a lot bigger, he would have loved them.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:39 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Anyone reading The Mighty? This is a very good series...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books