Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed the movie version of The Stand... of course this was a mini series (6 or so hours).

I loved the book series DARK TOWER but noting it is only a 2 hour movie tells me they cut a tremendous amount of stuff from it.. I expect I will watch it once it reaches cable outlets but no doubt it will be quite disappointing compared to the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 09:38 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
If you like Stephen King and The Stand is your favourite book then you should like End Tme by Keith Korman. There isn't a Kindle version unfortunately. I came across the book quite by accident and if you didn't know who the author was you would swear it was Stephen King. I read about a hundred pages and he even rambles like Stephen King. Which is a bit of a problem. I didn't finish it because I can hardly see the small type in the paperback version.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Time-Nove...s=keith+korman

I'm not much one for movies so I can't make a comparison.

Last edited by netwit; 08-18-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If you like Stephen King and The Stand is your favourite book then you should like End Tme by Keith Korman. There isn't a Kindle version unfortunately. I came across the book quite by accident and if you didn't know who the author was you would swear it was Stephen King. I read about a hundred pages and he even rambles like Stephen King. Which is a bit of a problem. I didn't finish it because I can hardly see the small type in the paperback version.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Time-Nove...s=keith+korman

I'm not much one for movies so I can't make a comparison.
I will add that to my Goodreads list for sure netwit! Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM

93 posts, read 95,780 times
I never cared for Jack Nicolson's version of the Shining. They made a TV version with Steven Weber that I thought was much more faithful to the book, but still not the book. Loved movie adaptions of The Dead Zone and Carrie, but I haven't seen many of the others. Another poster was correct - you can't translate what's going on inside someone to the screen. Which is why, IMHO, MOST books don't adapt well to being made into movies.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I loved the book series DARK TOWER but noting it is only a 2 hour movie tells me they cut a tremendous amount of stuff from it.. I expect I will watch it once it reaches cable outlets but no doubt it will be quite disappointing compared to the books.
It's a sequel to the book series, which allowed a lot of leeway and is even able to explain the race swap and missing key characters. Makes sense if you've read the last bit of the last book. But I'm also waiting for it to either be a $4 rental or just wait till it hits Netflix.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I enjoyed the movie version of The Stand... of course this was a mini series (6 or so hours).

The Dark Tower movie is not based on the Gunslinger books. Rather, it is a "continuation" of the story -- which, to me, means they just bought the name and the rights to use some of the character names

Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Stand by Me, a movie based on King's The Body was a wonderful movie. I gave up reading King several years ago. A few months back I read Mr. Mercedes which was a fast read and pretty good. I believe a movie is planned.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
It's currently a series - 2 episodes have aired (might just be a DTV channel)

Old 08-18-2017, 07:13 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
I absolutely loved his 11/22/63, and although I know it was adapted to TV film (Hulu), I didn't see it.

‘11/22/63’: James Franco Cast As Lead In Stephen King & J.J. Abrams Hulu Series | Variety

Old 08-18-2017, 11:59 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,506,352 times
I thought the best one was The Dead Zone at the time. All the others were so disappointing and his books were fabulous to me at the time. I know they asked him who he wanted for The Shining and he said Martin Sheen - who, at the time, was drinking and smoking and going all Apocalypse Now and would have been about perfect IMO. I still like The Dead Zone and The Shawshank Redemption.

Really, Misery was a good adaptation, but so uncomfortable to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books