Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Stephen King. The only books of his I really enjoyed were a couple of his short ones.
Apparently you're not alone (although I loved his 11/22/63, I'll admit that that's the only book of his that I've read).
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...overrated.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Apparently you're not alone (although I loved his 11/22/63, I'll admit that that's the only book of his that I've read).
Yes, pretty much all his new stuff is boring.

Salem's Lot
The Stand
Pet Semetary
The Shining
The Long Walk

Damn good.

I echo the Faulkner = drek comment from earlier.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I've had quite a few I don't like, often for various reasons that sometimes kill what should be a very good story.

a. Venus Prime (a SF series). I read the first one in the series and thought it was great. Good characters, conflict, set the stage. Next four were the same way. Finally the sixth, concluding books comes out and what a let down. The author pretty much just hand waved all the mystery and suspense, pulled out a tired, overused time travel cliché and basically led to everything that happened in the previous books was supposed to happen to get to the sixth book where everything that happened in the previous books was .... on and on. No climax. No catharsis. No resolution. Nothing. So bad that it totally ruined the previous books for me and I felt like I'd wasted not just that time reading them, but the several years worth of suspense waiting for the next story in line. Just felt completely ripped off.

b. Dune. Like all college students in my generation I read this. Just such an incredibly long, overly complex, over written book of nonsense. Dune isn't so much a SF story as the bible for a drug cult. I mean you'd have to be high on "spice" to think it made sense.

c. Faulkner (and for that matter most of the various "required reading" books from high school and college lit classes. Why oh why do so many teachers and professors love these horridly written garbage? If I wrote for my teacher the same way Faulkner wrote, I'd fail the class. But Faulkner is must reading?

d. Another series that has worn out for me is the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. The first books were really great. Tightly written, solid characters. But as the series has gone on, the books have gotten more and more pages in them, but the added pages don't say anything useful to the story. The last book I purchased, I only read two chapters and put it down; I knew if I forced myself to read the whole thing it would just ruin the previous decade worth of reading.
I can understand not liking Faulkner but "horridly written garbage"? Have you ever actually even read any Faulkner? Light in August? As I Lay Dying? Absalom, Absalom!? The Sound and the Fury? Etc.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
OK I have to admit that I LOVED 11/22/63. I couldn't put it down.

I also really liked The Shining, as well as The Stand. Oh, and Hearts in Atlantis. But I agree that many of SK's books can be repetitive or just too weird and sort of silly for my taste.

But 11/22//63 - wow, I was glued to that book from start to finish.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
I was super disappointed with "A Man Called Ove"...I couldn't get through it.

I also hated "The Clan of the Cave Bear".

Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I was super disappointed with "A Man Called Ove"...I couldn't get through it.

I also hated "The Clan of the Cave Bear".
Ove was absolutely TERRIBLE. One of the worst I've read. Really baffled by the hype and the love for that book.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
"Two if by Sea" by Jacquelyn Mitchard. Saw it on the Best Book list in People magazine a few years ago. It's about a man who wife and children perish in the Indonesia tsunami and he find a young boy who is about to die and saves him. The boy appears to have some specialness about him.

Sounded good, however after page 40 I was forcing myself to continue reading it. I gave up at page 194, about half way through. Life is too short to have to read a boring book.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
"Two if by Sea" by Jacquelyn Mitchard. Saw it on the Best Book list in People magazine a few years ago. It's about a man who wife and children perish in the Indonesia tsunami and he find a young boy who is about to die and saves him. The boy appears to have some specialness about him.

Sounded good, however after page 40 I was forcing myself to continue reading it. I gave up at page 194, about half way through. Life is too short to have to read a boring book.
Was this a novel or a memoir? I read a memoir called Wave by a woman whose children, husband, and parents were all killed by the tsunami while the woman and her family were visiting her parents and extended family. It was almost unbearably sad.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:15 AM

745 posts, read 479,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Im not referring to just bad books, but rather books you expected to be good that turned out to be disappointingly bad.

My list would include

Utopia, by Thomas More.

Suffers from 2 issues. First,extremely boring and dry writing. It is basically a dry third person description of life in an imaginary perfect society. They will do this,they will do that. No real characters or story. Second, some of the ideas are simply horrible. People are punished for traveling outside of their living area without permission, up to and including execution if I remember correctly. And not attending lectures by the authorities on how to improve and be a better citizen is grounds for suspicion and punishment. Yet it is regarded as a very influential book and gets high marks from many reviewers. I dont get it. Admittedly I found the book as so bad both in style and content that I gave up part way through, but unless the part I read was some sort of satire and the book completely changed in the parts I quit on, this book being highly regarded baffles me.

Second , The Deerslayer by James Cooper

Even more disappointing than Utopia. While I really didnt know what to expect from Utopia , I truly expected Coopers books to be great stories of life among frontiersmen and Indians in early America. But I have tried twice to get through this one and then on to the others of the series, but it simply gets so boring its unbelievable. And thats a shame, because the plot and characters should make for a great story . Coopers insistence on having Deerslayer talk in his ridiculous accept gets old, especially when he deliberately misspells words that dont change the pronunciation to try and depict a country accent. Envy becomes "invy", as if that matters any. And the girls just drone on and on. I cant for the life of me grasp why Cooper is regarded as a great writer, and its such a disappointment to me because again, these could be such great stories if written better. And yet there are book societies dedicated wholly to discussing Coopers books. It baffles me.
Good Topic! As my reading has increased in my later years, two "classics" that stick out.

1) The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway: This was his first novel and talks about the so-called "lost society" (which I think others, not Hemingway has labeled it). Anyway, it is about bored Americans with too much money living in Europe just after WWI. Their fighting among each other and the dialog just goes on chapter after chapter. I have to ask if people reading this book when it first came out, really enjoyed that. But, I do see why Hemingway is considered one of the greatest (this was my first Hemingway also). His description of traveling from Paris to Spain by bus was very vivid regarding the scenery, etc. And, so was how described the bullfights. I see the value of his travels now, and why it is so important. So, i can't say he's a bad writer, but my disappointment is in the babbling and dialog and the fact it went on so long and it wasn't what I expected.

2) The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald. This would have been better if I read it in 1935 when it was first published and considered shocking, but in modern times, there isn't much too it. I just didn't get it and I didn't see what was so Great about the Gatsby. I think I need to write a paper for my English Teacher on it, I probably have one that's overdue anyway .

Old 04-01-2017, 06:56 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Was this a novel or a memoir? I read a memoir called Wave by a woman whose children, husband, and parents were all killed by the tsunami while the woman and her family were visiting her parents and extended family. It was almost unbearably sad.

No it was fiction - although I think the writer borrowed from some of the true stories she read about. The boy he saved had some special powers or something. I just couldn't finish it so my book mark is halfway through. I'm going to donate it to the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books