Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:45 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. King in my mind has 3 basic periods of writing.

The early stuff. Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Firestarter. All GREAT stories. They still hold up. But the quality of the prose itself was sometimes lacking. He was still learning the craft, and it showed. But fantastic stories nonetheless.

The middle stuff. IT, The Tommyknockers, Christine, Pet Sematary, The Talisman, Thinner. This is the era where Stephen King lost me. I couldn't get into the stories. Just overblown and occasionally even turgid. I later found out this was the point where we was a full-on drunk and addict, and it showed. Then he got cleaned up, and had his brush with death. That seemed to reinvigorate his writing.
I read...tried to read King in his early days. They simply weren't my kind of stories. I was never into horror and while I tried a few of these, I didn't finish one of them.
Being a bookseller for many years cured me of the belief that books I read and loved or hated should be held in the same regard by others. Everybody has different tastes when it comes to literature and fiction.

I think it's just like the food we eat. What one person chows down on is sometimes really disgusting to me and while I might give it a taste, there's no way I can go beyond that one taste sometimes...and this applies to authors. Some of them just leave a bad taste in my mind's eye, and I don't want it there. Books are a very personal taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 02:21 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,955 times
Well someone that has written books across four plus decades of time is doing something right when they're still collecting a paycheck from it.

I've read just about everything he's put out and still anxiously await the next installment.

So, over-rated it is huh? Just aren't that many in his league, so I don't see it.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:35 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. King in my mind has 3 basic periods of writing.

The early stuff. Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Firestarter. All GREAT stories. They still hold up. But the quality of the prose itself was sometimes lacking. He was still learning the craft, and it showed. But fantastic stories nonetheless.

The middle stuff. IT, The Tommyknockers, Christine, Pet Sematary, The Talisman, Thinner. This is the era where Stephen King lost me. I couldn't get into the stories. Just overblown and occasionally even turgid. I later found out this was the point where we was a full-on drunk and addict, and it showed. Then he got cleaned up, and had his brush with death. That seemed to reinvigorate his writing.

The later stuff. Bag of Bones (best ghost story I've ever read), The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Duma Key, Lisey's Story, 11/22/63, Joyland, Doctor Sleep. I LOOOVE his recent stuff. At least most of it (I couldn't get into Revival.) He still manages to be scary, but his prose has finally grown up, and it's obvious he cares more about the main characters than the monsters. And no longer is every book about a writer in Maine that things happen to.

And he really isn't just writing the same stories over and over. He is really stretching himself. 11/22/63 is straight up science fiction, but in the vein of The Twilight Zone rather than Star Trek, and it's a very touching, even sentimental story in a lot of ways. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is a great adventure in the vein of Jack London, but with far more psychological depth and horror. Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers read more like Ed McBain than Stephen King. Joyland is almost S.E. Hinton. Bag of Bones is about life, death, and grief, all wrapped in a story about a child custody battle and a decades old curse with a ghost story on top.
I've always considered Pet Sematary a part of his earlier work. It's definitely the best book of his I have read (along with 11/22/63).

My general rule with King is not to read anything he wrote after about 1990. there are a couple of recent exceptions, such as 11/22/63, but I find most of his new stuff to be fairly banal.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,246 times
The Gunslinger was one of the best series I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
I've noticed people who don't like authors like Patterson and King are often the types who love the purple prose naval-gazers, authors who go on and on ad nauseum about the color of the flowers on the tabletop, and leave their characters in perpetual, angsty introspection. They spend all their time thinking up beautiful ways of describing things at the cost of actually having their characters DO something. If I'm looking for weepy poetry, I read a poem.

But that's just me.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I've noticed people who don't like authors like Patterson and King are often the types who love the purple prose naval-gazers, authors who go on and on ad nauseum about the color of the flowers on the tabletop, and leave their characters in perpetual, angsty introspection. They spend all their time thinking up beautiful ways of describing things at the cost of actually having their characters DO something. If I'm looking for weepy poetry, I read a poem.

But that's just me.
I don't like the type of writing you just described OR King or Patterson, whoever the heck Patterson is. But that's just me.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

But that's just me.

No..to be frank, I gave up on Patterson after his 6th or 7th Alex Cross story, when the stories got shorter and shorter, the fonts got bigger, the margins got wider...prices kept getting higher... Not to mention the production lines he has going with co-authors who actually do the writing based on just his outlines.
I prefer Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Robert Crais, Stephen White, Dennis Lehane, Nelson DeMille...all those purple prose authors, you mean?
Or how about sf/fantasy...give George RR Martin or Joe Abercrombie a try, they're real angsty under all that action and violence.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I've always considered Pet Sematary a part of his earlier work. It's definitely the best book of his I have read (along with 11/22/63).
I loved 11/22/63, but I've never been able to finish Pet Sematary. The main characters were so unlikeable. Had the book been about the old man across the road having to put up with his annoying new neighbors, I might have gotten into it.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post

No..to be frank, I gave up on Patterson after his 6th or 7th Alex Cross story, when the stories got shorter and shorter, the fonts got bigger, the margins got wider...prices kept getting higher... Not to mention the production lines he has going with co-authors who actually do the writing based on just his outlines.
James Patterson is not a writer. James Patterson is a manufacturer of product. He is the literary equivalent of a Swanson TV dinner.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:34 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
I gave up on James Patterson about five books into the Alex Cross series. He was always getting DC locations so wrong, I finally could only hate-read him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books