Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
I read Bag of Bones when it came out. I loved the first few chapters and considered it to be the best book I had ever read from him...I couldn't put the book down. Then, as the story went on, I totally lost interest in it and found the ending to be very dissatisfying. That was the very last book I ever read by him.
I had the complete opposite reaction. I found the first five or six chapters of BAG OF BONES to be a real slog. Real hard to get through. But once the story started going, I couldn't put it down. I think I read the last 250 pages in one sitting, and it remains one of my favorite King books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
I was big into King when I was in high school. (20 years ago, so I guess I read his old/middle works?). I read as many of his books as I could. I found him to be hit or miss. Some of his stuff I really liked, such as Misery, Different Seasons, and Christine. I agree with many on here about The Mist. I loved that story! But, for me, the majority of his works I ended up not liking at all.

I always felt like he started off a book really great, but would then lose his way in the middle and then never really know how to end it. Some of his books I felt I was just 'getting through' instead of really reading and enjoying. For example, I read Bag of Bones when it came out. I loved the first few chapters and considered it to be the best book I had ever read from him...I couldn't put the book down. Then, as the story went on, I totally lost interest in it and found the ending to be very dissatisfying. That was the very last book I ever read by him.

I guess I just gave up on him at that point. Too many disappointments for me. Every time I see a new book out by him, I hesitate. Just don't want to be suckered in again.
I 100% agree with this.

Last edited by katharsis; 11-20-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
I was big into King when I was in high school. (20 years ago, so I guess I read his old/middle works?). I read as many of his books as I could. I found him to be hit or miss. Some of his stuff I really liked, such as Misery, Different Seasons, and Christine. I agree with many on here about The Mist. I loved that story! But, for me, the majority of his works I ended up not liking at all.

I always felt like he started off a book really great, but would then lose his way in the middle and then never really know how to end it. Some of his books I felt I was just 'getting through' instead of really reading and enjoying. For example, I read Bag of Bones when it came out. I loved the first few chapters and considered it to be the best book I had ever read from him...I couldn't put the book down. Then, as the story went on, I totally lost interest in it and found the ending to be very dissatisfying. That was the very last book I ever read by him.

I guess I just gave up on him at that point. Too many disappointments for me. Every time I see a new book out by him, I hesitate. Just don't want to be suckered in again.
King has a reputation for being prone to unsatisfactory endings to otherwise enjoyable novels.

In his book On Writing he notes that he does not outline his novels before/as he writes them, and so he isn't writing towards a specific ending. He just lets developments lead wherever they lead. He further advises writers that they should not outline. This is a mistake, I think. I'm not saying writers should outline - depending on the writer and the work, it isn't necessarily something one must do - but to say definitively that one should not outline really doesn't make any sense.

King does concede that the one novel he did outline, The Dead Zone, turned out pretty well. He's right - it's one of his better novels. And he often does finish novels well. 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Misery - these ending well, apparently without advance plotting. But a lot of his works do seem to limp to an ending.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

King does concede that the one novel he did outline, The Dead Zone, turned out pretty well. He's right - it's one of his better novels. And he often does finish novels well. 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Misery - these ending well, apparently without advance plotting. But a lot of his works do seem to limp to an ending.
The Dead Zone, The Green Mile, and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption are my three Stephen King works.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:10 PM

446 posts, read 709,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I tend to agree with this statement. His books always start off great but then the ending ruins them completely. I feel he has just been churning out the same stuff. I stopped reading his stuff long ago.
The three stages of reading a Stephen King book:

Stage 1) Hey, this is exciting.

Stage 2) He could still fix this....

Stage 3) Jeez, what a waste of time.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post

Pretty much.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times
I liked most of the King books I have read (and I have read most of them). Some I hated. But love or hate, I always consider them well written. Mr. Mercedes is on my short list of next reads.

I probably won't get much respect for stating this, but one of my all time favorite books is "Hearts in Atlantis".

Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I probably won't get much respect for stating this, but one of my all time favorite books is "Hearts in Atlantis".
I loved the first story: "Low Men in Yellow Coats." None of the other stories in HiA grabbed me.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I just read 11/22/63 and enjoyed every minute of it, which was a pleasant surprise because I am often disappointed in SK books. Not always though - he's sort of hit or miss.

I've just learned that if I lose interest in one of his books, just put it down and move on. With SK things rarely get better once traction is lost, so I cut my losses if the book gets boring or stupid. Enough of his books have held my attention though, for me not to be a SK hater.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:55 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books