Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:08 AM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times

Advertisements

11/22/63 is a fantastic read. King shows a command of the language & storytelling ability that really impresses me.....which is not easy considering the fact that I loathe his childish grasp of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I can't recall the new book name - it's short stories (I'll have to look that up

Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't recall the new book name - it's short stories (I'll have to look that up
Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

I'm about a third of the way through. It's pretty good. I think the first story was a tad over-written and repetitive in parts, but by and large the stories are all very good.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Thanks Mark S. - I ordered it yesterday.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
I wouldn't say he is overrated. he just writes books that appeal to different audiences sometimes. for a segment of the audience, the book will be a miss, while the other segment will love it. that is the motif of his newer stuff. his older stuff really appealed to pretty much everyone. my favorite reads by him were salem's lot and the shining. I still cant figure out which one I like better.

you know what's overrated? those harry potter books, along with 50 shades of gray and the hunger games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
11/22/63 is a fantastic read. King shows a command of the language & storytelling ability that really impresses me.....which is not easy considering the fact that I loathe his childish grasp of politics.
currently reading 11/22/63 right now. that book is hard to put down. it is an awesome read so far. so awesome that I have pretty much cancelled all of my weekend plans with the outside world just so I can read this book.

so far, dr sleep has sucked in comparison. that was the last newer SK book I read before this one.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:33 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I'm not a Stephen King fan, really, but I think he's underrated, actually. He writes very realistically and takes risks from a creative perspective. I actually had to put one of his books down because the description was so graphically real.

Sure, he's had a few hits and a few misses, but it's not due to lack of talent.

His book "On Writing" is a standard for creative writing groups.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:10 PM

I didn't actually want to post in this thread but couldn't find another (I thought there was a thread on his books.... maybe I didn't search enough) - anyway! I still like him (and would love him to do some follow ups of the paperback, Joy Ride I think it was? really liked that) - the movies have never been a hit with me.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Yes, there are a few different threads on Stephen King here in Books forum.

Third volume in Mr. Mercedes trilogy, "End of Watch", is due in mid-2016.
I enjoyed "Finders, Keepers", though the first 1/3 (or so) kinda' bored me,
until he returned to the characters introduced in "Mr. Mercedes" (book 1) with whom I was familiar.

Reserved (there's a waiting list for it at library) new collection of prev. pub. stories, "Bazaar of Bad Dreams".

Whether he is overrated-well, that's a subjective interpretation, rather than an objective fact.
Some folks dig his work a bunch, some loathe his work, others fall somewhere in between-
"overrated" is in the mind/opinion of the individual reader (and readers vary).

Old 11-20-2015, 12:21 AM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I wouldn't say he is overrated. he just writes books that appeal to different audiences sometimes. for a segment of the audience, the book will be a miss, while the other segment will love it. that is the motif of his newer stuff. his older stuff really appealed to pretty much everyone. my favorite reads by him were salem's lot and the shining. I still cant figure out which one I like better.

you know what's overrated? those harry potter books, along with 50 shades of gray and the hunger games.

currently reading 11/22/63 right now. that book is hard to put down. it is an awesome read so far. so awesome that I have pretty much cancelled all of my weekend plans with the outside world just so I can read this book.

so far, dr sleep has sucked in comparison. that was the last newer SK book I read before this one.
I live in New England, like king, and his description of the area really hits home.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 AM

92 posts, read 167,277 times
I was big into King when I was in high school. (20 years ago, so I guess I read his old/middle works?). I read as many of his books as I could. I found him to be hit or miss. Some of his stuff I really liked, such as Misery, Different Seasons, and Christine. I agree with many on here about The Mist. I loved that story! But, for me, the majority of his works I ended up not liking at all.

I always felt like he started off a book really great, but would then lose his way in the middle and then never really know how to end it. Some of his books I felt I was just 'getting through' instead of really reading and enjoying. For example, I read Bag of Bones when it came out. I loved the first few chapters and considered it to be the best book I had ever read from him...I couldn't put the book down. Then, as the story went on, I totally lost interest in it and found the ending to be very dissatisfying. That was the very last book I ever read by him.

I guess I just gave up on him at that point. Too many disappointments for me. Every time I see a new book out by him, I hesitate. Just don't want to be suckered in again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books