Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,730,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Chasing the scream : the first and last days of the war on drugs / Johann Hari, c2015, Bloomsbury USA, 363.4509 HARI.[/SIZE]
My book club read this a few months ago and everyone was bowled over. We still discuss it even though we red it back in February. I almost can't pick up a newspaper without thinking of that book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,805,300 times
Default Not a pretty picture

& see Should the Lee Circle statue be removed? - More on slavery in the colonies & the US.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Chasing the scream : the first and last days of the war on drugs / Johann Hari, c2015, Bloomsbury USA, 363.4509 HARI.[/SIZE]

Subjects
  • Drug control -- United States -- History.
  • Drug traffic -- United States -- History.
Notes
  • Mount Rushmore. The Black Hand ; Sunshine and weaklings ; The barrel of Harry's gun ; The bullet at the birth -- Ghosts. Souls of mischief ; Hard to be Harry ; Mushrooms -- Angels. State of shame ; Bart Simpson and the Angel of Juárez ; Marisela's long march -- The temple. The grieving mongoose ; Terminal city ; Batman's bad call -- Peace. The drug addicts' uprising ; Snowfall and strengthening ; The Spirit of '74 ; The man in the well ; High noon -- If you are alone.
Summary
  • For the first time, the startling full story of the disastrous war on drugs -- propelled by moving human stories, revolutionary insight into addiction, and fearless international reporting.
  • "January, 2015 will mark a century of the war on drugs in the United States: one hundred years since the first arrests under the Harrison Act. Facing down this anniversary, Johann Hari was witnessing a close relative and an ex-boyfriend bottoming out on cocaine and heroin. But what was the big picture in the war on drugs? Why does it continue, when most people now think it has failed? The reporter set out on a two-year, 20,000-mile journey through the theater of this war--to find out how it began, how it has affected people around the world, and how we can move beyond it. Chasing the Scream is fueled by dramatic personal stories of the people he meets along the way: A transsexual crack dealer in Brooklyn who wanted to know who killed her mother, and a mother in Mexico who spent years tracking her daughter's murderer across the desert. A child smuggled out of the Jewish ghetto during the Holocaust who helped unlock the scientific secrets of addiction. A doctor who pushed the decriminalization in Portugal of all drugs - from cannabis to crack. The title itself comes from a formative story of Harry Anslinger, first commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, sent as a boy to the pharmacy for a neighbor screaming in withdrawal -- an experience which led him to fear drugs without regard to context. Always we come back to the front lines in the U.S., where we instigated the war and exported it around the globe, but where change is also coming. Powerful, propulsive, and persuasive, Chasing the Scream is the page-turning story of a century-long mistake, which shows us the way to a more humane future"-- Provided by publisher.
Length
  • 389 pages ; index, chapter notes - recordings of interviewees available online
A history of the drug wars. & proposals & notes on cancelling the war & treating addiction - undercutting the condition, really. Gripping, very interesting as history & for the personal anecdotes, & the possibilities of a way forward.
Just got this in and it's third on my current list, after The Lost Tudor Princess by Alison Weir and then Tortilla Curtain. I loved Dreamland by the way - have you read that one?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Default So many books,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just got this in and it's third on my current list, after The Lost Tudor Princess by Alison Weir and then Tortilla Curtain. I loved Dreamland by the way - have you read that one?
I'm keeping an eye out for it - our library doesn't seem to own a copy.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:57 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,551,948 times
Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond.
I need to read that. It has been on my TR list for a long time.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:08 AM

Default A tough leader, as the West was closing

Santana : war chief of the Mescalero Apaches / by A. N. Blazer (Almer N.), 1865-1949, author ; edited by A. R. Pruit ; introduction by Jerry D.Thompson, c1999, Dog Soldier Press.

Subjects

• Santana, -- d. 1876.
  • Mescalero Indians -- Biography.
  • Mescalero Indians -- History.
Length - 252pp, maps, photos, index, 2 appendices, chapter notes,

Excellent local history (S. central NM) - the author's father moved to the SW for health reasons, & made a go of it. He befriended Santana, & interceded with the US Army & Bureau of Indian Affairs on the Mescalero's behalf. Santana was able to keep the Mescalero together & reasonably peaceful through turbulent times. Almer, the son, learned Mescalero & English, attended Mescalero rituals &rites, learned the Mescalero's POV & local flora & fauna. Almer wrote on & studied the Mescalero most of his life. Part biography, ethnography, sociology, anthropology.

Last edited by southwest88; 05-31-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 11:02 AM

158 posts, read 107,161 times
[url]https://www.amazon.com/Patrick-J.-Buchanan/e/B001H6O8KY[/url]

ANY of Patrick Buchanan's books are must reads.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:59 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
I'm reading a book about twins~One and the Same: My Life as an Identical Twin and What I've Learned About Everyone's Struggle to Be Singular
by Abigail Pogrebin
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-and-the-same

Really fascinating reading, but also kinda creeps me out! I'm so glad that I wasn't born a twin, nor had any.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:43 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
A Season On The Brink - John Feinstein
This book is getting a bit dated as it's about Bobby Knight and a mid-80's Indiana University basketball season, but it is a great book nonetheless. Book may be out of print but could probably be gotten on ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books