Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wilson Rawls. Required reading in my world. To this day I blubber like a baby when I read that book. I grew up much the same as Billy Coleman. I formed relationships with animals very much as he did with the two Redbone hounds. I watched my four legged friends put themselves in harms way to protect me.

"I have to disagree that this story was "disturbing". Painful, yes, but full of hope and unconditional love. It is a brutal lesson on how life changes for us, as human beings, and how growing up blows. A wonderful story, but profoundly sad, yes. Makes Ol' Yeller look like a happily ever after.

Oh my. I don't think it would affect me the way it did then, but, oh boy, was that a book that stood out in my childhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
Misery, Pet Cemetery by King
The Long Walk by Bachman, aka King

Old 07-12-2014, 09:12 AM

461 posts, read 796,954 times
Whatever Joe Hill writes!!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
It's not a traditional scary book, but Still Alice by Lisa Genova disturbed me so much that almost a year after reading it, it still makes me uneasy.

It is about a woman who is narrating her descent into early onset Alzheimer's, and the story is heartbreaking and so scary. It is a frightening disease and the author makes you feel as if you are living the horror along with the main character.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Pet Sematary.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. A brutally realistic look at a man and boy surviving in a completely decimated society. When I go on the "prepper" board here to peruse the posts, I have to laugh at their optimism.

The best part about The Road? My super strait-laced 85-year-old grandmother thought it was a "wonderful" book. She's been dead for about 5 years now, and it still cracks me up how she talked about what a lovely read it was. At the same time, my ex-boyfriend - who had actually ridden with a biker gang in his extremely misspent youth - was brought to hysterical tears by it and called me sobbing to thank me for recommending it.

All of that said, there were sections of Gerald's Game, by Stephen King that I couldn't read.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. A brutally realistic look at a man and boy surviving in a completely decimated society. When I go on the "prepper" board here to peruse the posts, I have to laugh at their optimism.

The best part about The Road? My super strait-laced 85-year-old grandmother thought it was a "wonderful" book. She's been dead for about 5 years now, and it still cracks me up how she talked about what a lovely read it was. At the same time, my ex-boyfriend - who had actually ridden with a biker gang in his extremely misspent youth - was brought to hysterical tears by it and called me sobbing to thank me for recommending it.

All of that said, there were sections of Gerald's Game, by Stephen King that I couldn't read.
I probably drank more water than I ever have in my life when I read Gerald's Game. That poor guy wanted a little bitty sip of water. That was wonderfully written. I like Kings books like that one so much more than the silly monster, or alien or ghost books.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I don't read anything in the horror genre; but one of the most unpleasant novels I've read was "Meridian" by Alice Walker. That was eight years ago and I don't remember all the details, but I thought the characters were despicable.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
IN COLD BLOOD by Truman Capote. It is about the relationship between the writer and two killers who slaughtered innocent lives out of fear. They did not have to, but they did fearing being caught. They also had, already killed one so they decided to kill another. On the run, they even considered killing a person who gave them a lift. It was out of fear with no logic at all.

The disturbing part is the writer took advantage of the two killers, naive attitude towards him.

To make the book worst, the two suspect had an relationship that was almost non-heterosexual. Where one suspect, would be jealous after the more dominant one, especially around women.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I just remembered "The Unit" by Ninni Holmqvist. Women who reach 50 and men who reach 60, and are single with no children, are sent to a spa-like government facility where they "donate" their organs one at a time to more productive members of society until they make their final donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books