Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,600 times

Advertisements

Twilight fan fiction printed in book form does not equal literature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
god this book is horrible. and no its not the sex that bothers me thats probably the only good thing in this book.. I just cant stand the biting the lip and how she uses "Er" and sometime the description of sex is just awful and immature.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Ta-Da!!! Thank you. Like I said, badly written erotica will make me lose my mental hard-on.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hey it's not just for SAHMs with shriveled up marriages! We unemployed bitter single females (bitter from being jobless, not from being single) have a reason to read some trash when we're tired of writing resumes, getting rejected for jobs, etc.

Sometimes a trashy escape via bad fiction fits the bill.
Same for us happily married but working the 9 to 5 (or 8 to 6) shift! This book is pure fun escapism and fantasy. But each to his own. I enjoyed all 3 books!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,396 times
Coming from a background of bdsm, someone who lives the lifestyle it is interesting extreme story. Though most of it can be applied in real life.

As a Dom I do find it interesting that for the last 10 years this was taboo and now might be alot of interested women in this type of lifestyle and adventure.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,161,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Coming from a background of bdsm, someone who lives the lifestyle it is interesting extreme story. Though most of it can be applied in real life.

As a Dom I do find it interesting that for the last 10 years this was taboo and now might be alot of interested women in this type of lifestyle and adventure.
Good news for you, right?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,600 times
This is a long article, but worth it, IMO. At least the scathing reviews of these books are well written & entertaining. Maybe they're good for something other than kindling after all.

The Trouble With Prince Charming Or He Who Trespassed Against Us - The Rumpus.net

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post

How true is it all? I've heard from some people that it wasn't very authentic to the bdsm lifestyle.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Well, okay. First, I know people here disagree with my assertions. That's fine; it's a free country (well at least for now...) But a LOT of people agree with me (you should see all the reps I've gotten on that post!)

If you don't want to believe that what you choose to read says something about you, and affects you, then don't believe it. But you're in denial.

What makes me so vehement about this opinion regarding "Fifty Shades of Grey" is that people are raving about it, gushing about it, and it's taking up a huge amount of conversation time. I have not really heard any woman say "yeah, I read it and it was okay." I instead hear how they "love" it, how they're "obsessed" with it, how they can't wait to get home and read more of it.

Maybe I can explain this in a way that people won't get so offended by:

I like good food. I enjoy trying well made foods made by good chefs in good restaurants. I really love home-made meals made by talented cooks who are just ordinary people I know.

But sometimes I eat Arby's. Is there anything inherently WRONG with Arby's? No, not really. But I don't rave about it and go on & on about my Arby's sandwich. I know it for what it is. I was a little hungry, and in a hurry, and it served a purpose. At the time, it seemed kind of tasty, but it wasn't great.

I would never mistake it for fine food. I would never mistake it for particularly nutritious food. I can admit it was kind of a "trashy" meal. If I chose to get "obsessed" with Arby's sandwiches, or if I chose to talk about my "beef & cheddar" every day, with every one of my friends and acquaintances, that would say something about me as a person.

It would say I like garbage, and don't mind filling myself with it. It would say my tastes are not particularly cultivated.

So if the "fans" of "Grey" just simply said "I read this book that was total trash, but I was in the mood for an inane story with hot sex, and I know it wasn't fine literature" then I could respect that. It would be like me and my Arby's beef & cheddar. But the people who act like this book was well written and good literature are just pathetic. It's like in the 80s and 90s when I knew women who would say how they love to read, and read all the time, but when I asked what they read, they said "Danielle Steele." To some that might be "reading" but to some, it's not.

And I have read excerpts of the book, and I see that it is not particularly well-written. I had to do so in order to make a judgment as to whether I wished to read it. I've read a lot about the books, and literary criticism often says a lot more about books than simply reading the books does.
I am probably putting my foot in my mouth here, because I have not read the books, though I have them.

I think sex is a whole different category of life. You cannot judge it as literature.
It is a itch people have and sometimes a good read can scratch it a bit.
I think a lot of women have tendencies that may go to a submission/dominance side, but have not scratched it.
These books caught on and we know 'everyone' is reading them.
It gives us permission to acknowledge a part of ourselves that heretofore was mostly taboo.

We do not read these books for their literary values. They serve another, more universal and basic, purpose.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Thank you! And you are the exception. Just beware that if you ever decide to jump on the bandwagon and defend the books as "good" it will say something about you. (though you did say they could be "trashy" and not "trash" and I'm not quite sure I get that, or agree with it).

And you must admit it's poorly written, right? I would have so much respect for you if you could admit that. The excerpts I read sounded like they were written by high-school drop-out bloggers.
The AUTHOR says they are not well written, is both surprised and gratified that they have taken off as they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books