Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2021, 08:59 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am reading The Great Alone - and I believe someone here recommended it. I really, really like it, and then, it's so crazy but a friend of mine, who I had not told what I was reading, gave me another book by the same author to read when I'm done, and she said "Have you read The Great Alone?" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...he-great-alone

Anyway, the author is Kristin Hannah, and the other book is The Nightingale.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ZWx3b65&rank=1

The same woman who gave me The Nightingale also mentioned The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, which I've fiddled around with thinking I needed to read it but I just haven't, so I ordered it and it just came in. We'll see how that one is!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ig9tane&rank=1

The book The Great Alone reminds me a lot of the memoir by Jeannette Halls - The Glass Castle. I loved that book though I believe it is non fiction and The Great Alone is fiction.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e_Glass_Castle
Kristin Hannah is a skilled writer and The Nightingale is one of her best. They are making that book into a movie that comes out next year. Elle and Dakota Fanning will be the actresses for the two sisters, featured in the book. I actually didn't care for The Great Alone, didn't like the plot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 11:10 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 10 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times

Old 11-20-2021, 05:21 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I read the Great Alone a few months ago for book club. I thought it was very worthwhile and well done, but it really depressed the he-- out of me and most in my book club agreed. I think I had read a few books at that time that were less than uplifting. The only other book I read by KH was The Winter Garden which was quite good, but I think several people more familiar with her said it was not a really good one.
I have not read The Nightingale but do mean to. Everyone raves about that one.

Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek
was great. It's absolutely a great read.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:34 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read the Great Alone a few months ago for book club. I thought it was very worthwhile and well done, but it really depressed the he-- out of me and most in my book club agreed.
Yes. I still think about that one. Not a book for the faint of heart.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:36 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Quote:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society is one of my favorite books. I read it several years ago and I thought it was a total delight. Glad you thought so too Firehorse.

I just finished The Golem and the Jinni. It's a lot longer book than I usually would read, but it came highly recommended. I thought it was quite good- very detailed, great intricate plot, and all. It really grabbed me and I was happily absorbed. I think I might have just been a bit tired of it towards the end but it really was a good one. I find this happens often with me so I think it's me and not the book. Still very outstanding book.
Hi Mayvenne,

Even before I read your recommendation on "The Golem and the Jinni" I had put it on my next library order (soon to be picked up). Now I am doubly excited to read it! I believe the next book in the series is "The Hidden Palace" ? (in case you didn't know)

I was ALSO a great fan of "The Great Alone" really loved that one!

Old 11-20-2021, 07:09 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Default The Impossible First: From Fire to Ice—Crossing Antarctica Alone by Colin O'Brady

I just finished reading The Impossible First: From Fire to Ice—Crossing Antarctica Alone by Colin O'Brady.This book was a fantastic page-turner. A solid Goodreads "five stars." Colin O'Brady is best described as a professional adventurer. A Yale graduate and obviously extremely bright, he was immolated in a fire at a Thai beach resort, dancing with burning ropes. After an amazing recovery, he proceeded to win a triathlon in Chicago. After accomplishing a bunch of other milestones, he scaled the Seven Peaks (link).

After that, in the austral summer of 2018-19 (actually he finished December 26, 2018) he set about crossing Antarctica, "solo, unsupported and unassisted" as defined by Antarctic Logistics and Expeditions (ALE), which provides life-preserving monitoring and potential rescue for those attempting an Antarctic crossing. The book alternates between real-time description of the adventure and flashbacks echoing back most of his life. These ranged from descriptions of a family "Ohana" (Hawaiian for blended family gatherings), his meeting his wife Jenna in Samoa, his travel to Thailand and the fateful "burning ropes" conflagration and his recovery, his victory in a triathlon he was unlikely to even complete because of his injuries, his climb up Everest and Mt. McKinley, his temporary split with Jenna to devote his life to triathloning, his reunion with Jenna during a testy trip to Joshua Tree National Monument and drive back to his home in Portland, and his romantic proposal to Jenna atop a mountain in Ecuador. Basically, it's a literary world-travel and Antarctic hiking adventure rolled into one.

There is admittedly some controversy about the book and the author. The February 2020 issue of National Geographic (link) questions his claim to be a first, or to even qualify. See Aaron Teasdale’s exposé in National Geographic. Australian polar explorer Eric Philips, cofounder and president of the International Polar Guides Association is quoted as stating: “This wasn’t some Last Great Polar Journey. Rather, it was a truncated route that was a first in only a very limited way.â€There are two major bases; 1) that Mr. O'Brady (and another adventurer, Louis Rudd, whom Mr. O'Grady was informally racing) took the route which included the use of the Leverett Glacier SPoT “road†("SPoT", for South Pole Overland Traverse); and 2) that Norwegian adventurer Borge Ousland had previously crossed a greater distance in Antarctica, solo and without resupply. Spoiler alert here: Mr. O'Grady later wrote a sixteen-page demand for retraction of the National Geographic piece (link). Reading with an "attorney's set of eyes" (not definitive obviously) I place far more credibility in the O'Brady demand for retraction than in the National Geographic article. The NG piece reads more like a "hit-piece" or worse, click-bate. Its author seems to have an incomprehensible agenda or bias.

Overall, book is a masterful weaving of the story of the epic travel across the ice and flashbacks they transfer the book into a sort of autobiography. You among others have criticized the author for the excessive use of flashbacks; I think a pure and unbroken description of ice travel would be dreadfully boring.

Last edited by jbgusa; 11-20-2021 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 04:17 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I am reading The People We Meet on Vacation I am not sure where it was recommended but I reserved it at the library for my kindle and it became available. It's a very nice, easy read which is quite a change from a lot of the books I have been reading lately. They were all really good books and even if they drew me in, they required a lot more focus.
I will update when I am finished but it did get very good rankhing on Goodreads.
Firehorse, I am curious to see what you think of [BThe Golem and the Jinni.[/b]. As I think of it, just about everyone I know who read it really liked it. (but yeah, this is one that required a lot of focus for me).

Old 11-22-2021, 05:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Kristin Hannah is a skilled writer and The Nightingale is one of her best. They are making that book into a movie that comes out next year. Elle and Dakota Fanning will be the actresses for the two sisters, featured in the book. I actually didn't care for The Great Alone, didn't like the plot.
The Great Alone was interesting to me (I finished it last night). I am not a big fan of cold weather and I was cold the entire time I was reading it! LOL It was sad to me, and emotional, but overall I liked it more than disliked it.

I am reading The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek now but it seems like a quick read and then I will start on The Nightingale. Good to know about the movie coming out.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:28 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society is one of my favorite books. I read it several years ago and I thought it was a total delight. Glad you thought so too Firehorse.

I just finished The Golem and the Jinni. It's a lot longer book than I usually would read, but it came highly recommended. I thought it was quite good- very detailed, great intricate plot, and all. It really grabbed me and I was happily absorbed. I think I might have just been a bit tired of it towards the end but it really was a good one. I find this happens often with me so I think it's me and not the book. Still very outstanding book.

I also liked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. At first I found thepretty confusing and had to retrace who was writing to whom but in the end it was a really great book!

Thank you for your recommendation. Just put The Golem and the Jinni on my TBR list

Old 11-22-2021, 07:04 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Quote:
I am reading The People We Meet on Vacation I am not sure where it was recommended but I reserved it at the library for my kindle and it became available. It's a very nice, easy read which is quite a change from a lot of the books I have been reading lately. They were all really good books and even if they drew me in, they required a lot more focus.
I will update when I am finished but it did get very good rankhing on Goodreads.
Firehorse, I am curious to see what you think of [BThe Golem and the Jinni.[/b]. As I think of it, just about everyone I know who read it really liked it. (but yeah, this is one that required a lot of focus for me).
I will for sure report back when I'm finished! But it sounds like it will be right up my alley! I'm reading one now that required a ton of focus (so I know what you mean) It is "The Accursed" by Carol Joyce Oates and I'm at page 550!

I also have "The People We Meet on Vacation" on my TBR list! Looking forward to an easy read (for a change!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books