Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times

Advertisements

I'm a little disturbed by e-reading. And yet... sometimes I find myself frowning at a paper book because it doesn't have a Search function ("I have to look page by page to find that passage?").

"About how you're reading: there are many ways to do it, some high-tech, some low-tech, some in between. But there are really only five you should consider".

The Right E-Reader For You - WSJ.com

Click the handy flow chart to find your ideal reading-matter delivery device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I'm a little disturbed by e-reading. And yet... sometimes I find myself frowning at a paper book because it doesn't have a Search function ("I have to look page by page to find that passage?").

"About how you're reading: there are many ways to do it, some high-tech, some low-tech, some in between. But there are really only five you should consider".

The Right E-Reader For You - WSJ.com

Click the handy flow chart to find your ideal reading-matter delivery device.
As probably 99 +% of the non-fiction books I read and use are not in any high tech form, for me the question and medium is irrelevant.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,124 times
I have a Nook and I love it. I've read a couple Kindle books on my Ipod Touch as well...prefer the Nook but there are times when I've been out without it and was glad to have something to read on the Touch. The actual Kindle device is fine but I hate the fact that you're limited to Amazon's format only. I've read about 12 books since I got my Nook in July and previously would be lucky to get through 2 a month. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to insinuate that a "real" reader would never read an ebook, though...

Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Have a Kindle. Pretty much only use it if there is a book that's not available at the library and I don't want to wait days to get it from amazon.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I have a Nook and I love it. I've read a couple Kindle books on my Ipod Touch as well...prefer the Nook but there are times when I've been out without it and was glad to have something to read on the Touch. The actual Kindle device is fine but I hate the fact that you're limited to Amazon's format only. I've read about 12 books since I got my Nook in July and previously would be lucky to get through 2 a month. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to insinuate that a "real" reader would never read an ebook, though...
I'd welcome e-versions of encyclopedias, dictionaries, biographies...coffeetable books...with reference links, a good search, graphics, audio, wouldn't that be the greatest thing? I think it's where school textbooks are heading

Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I have a Nook and I love it. I've read a couple Kindle books on my Ipod Touch as well...prefer the Nook but there are times when I've been out without it and was glad to have something to read on the Touch. The actual Kindle device is fine but I hate the fact that you're limited to Amazon's format only.
Kindle isn't limited to only Amazon's format. Although they don't support epub, they do support mobi and other document formats like PDF, DOC, TXT, etc. In my experience, any public domain ebook that is available as epub is also available as either mobi or Kindle's AZW format so I've had no issues with my Kindle not supporting an ebook I want. But since Kindle has a bigger ebook store than Barnes and Noble, I don't need to look elsewhere very often anyway. Also, Kindle is available in many countries where the Nook/B&N isn't.

But I do wish Kindle support library ebooks and sharing like the Nook does.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
I love my Kindle, especially for travelling. Now I can take my entire collection of books with me rather than picking and choosing. I can understand why people still enjoy a physical book as it does hold some advantages. You drop a paperback in the water and the worst thing that happens is you have a soggy book!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
I have a Kindle, but I love that article and the flow chart! It definitely pointed me in the right direction.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I love my Kindle, especially for travelling. Now I can take my entire collection of books with me rather than picking and choosing. I can understand why people still enjoy a physical book as it does hold some advantages. You drop a paperback in the water and the worst thing that happens is you have a soggy book!
Water can really damage a paper book, especially to people who do their best not to get even the slightest crease or smudge on their paper books. But there are waterproof cases for e-readers which will keep them safe from water whereas you can't exactly put a paper book in a waterproof container and still be able to turn the pages! So although an accessory is required, I would still choose an e-reader over a paper book when it comes to reading near water.

For me, the choice of a Kindle over any other e-reader was a no-brainer. Kindle have the biggest selection of ebooks in the UK. The Nook/B&N isn't even available here and while the Sony devices are available, their ebook store is not! WHSmith and Waterstones sell ebooks for Sony e-readers (and something called an iRiver) but even if you were to combine their stores, they wouldn't even have 1/4 of the titles that Kindle's store supplies. I think the only other option is Kobo which has an equally small ebook store for UK residents.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM

July 19, 2010: Amazon Media Room: Kindle Device Unit Sales Accelerate Each Month in Second Quarter; New $189 Price Results in Tipping Point for Growth: Amazon.com Now Selling More Kindle Books Than Hardcover Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books