Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM

50 posts, read 145,324 times

Advertisements

Tell me your thoughts as i need to decide by June as that's when i plan to move. I'm 19 year old female from So Cal CA and looking to move out on my own for my first time. I will be attending an online college to get a court reporters certificate along with an AA in criminal justice. And hopefully i would be able to get a job as a receptionist or something.

Please Tell me your likes and dislikes about each of the state's that you know. My interests are the true 4 seasons, SNOW, safe and please state what areas would be good to look at. I want it to be more mountainy/foresty climate pluse rivers or lakes. I would like there to be lots of trees. Summer doesn't really matter as i'm used to hot summers.

If theres anything else that i should know please add in the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:28 AM

215 posts, read 788,825 times
I have lived in Meridian, ID, for the past 13+ years..have been through both Denver and Spokane and grew up in Utah so I think I can give you a little bit of guidance here! (but have to admit than I am biased to Meridian, ID). As for mountains, rivers, safety and peaceful...you do get that in Idaho.
I'm going to give you a website that lets you compare different cities to each other
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
As for what I like about Idaho...the Boise and Meridian area are great places to live, you have access to metro life, but are also very close to recreational areas for hiking, boating, skiing, etc. And Boise is known as "the city of trees" its a beautiful city, with the Boise river running right through the city...one of the favorite summer events is the ability to float the Boise river on inner tubes or rafts...how many cities can make a claim for that! The people are friendlier here than anywhere I have been...its a nice place to call home!

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy_M_L View Post
Tell me your thoughts as i need to decide by June as that's when i plan to move. I'm 19 year old female from So Cal CA and looking to move out on my own for my first time. I will be attending an online college to get a court reporters certificate along with an AA in criminal justice. And hopefully i would be able to get a job as a receptionist or something.

Please Tell me your likes and dislikes about each of the state's that you know. My interests are the true 4 seasons, SNOW, safe and please state what areas would be good to look at. I want it to be more mountainy/foresty climate pluse rivers or lakes. I would like there to be lots of trees. Summer doesn't really matter as i'm used to hot summers.

If theres anything else that i should know please add in the post
All three places have great things to offer.

4 Seasons- You will find 4seasons at each location, but because of Boise's high desert climate, it will have a longer summer season that extends into the fall.

Snow- Boise will probably have the least amount of snow (21.4inches). Easier to get around in the winter, rare if at all airport closure. Heavier snow for mountain adventures can be found about 1.5 hours outside of the city.

Safest- Boise, no doubt
Consistently voted one of the safest places in the country by Farmers Insurance. Some of the things factored into this equation to make the determination, are weather disasters and crime.

Mountainy/ forestry- trying to interpret exactly what you might want...Spokane will offer the closest environment to what you're looking for. For Boise and Denver, you'll have to drive outside the area to get that kind of feel. Boise has lots of trees down in the city, but it's not what you would call forested.

Coming from So. Cali, you have a lot of amenities at your finger tips and lots of things to do. If that's important to you, Denver might be the better choice in that category as it's the largest city of the three. In addition, you might have better luck in the job field as there's probably a larger pool of companies to choose from. Spokane has never thrilled me economy wise as it always seems to have a suppressed feel, just my opinion. Crime is high and leaving valuables in the car is just asking for trouble from what I've heard. Can't speak for Denver, but I'd imagine with the higher population, comes the crime. I can tell you average age in Boise is around 31 to 32 years, so my concern would be that you might be on the bored side??? Though there is Boise State... and that could offer some entertainment factor for you.....The fact that you're coming from such a large area makes me hesitate a bit... Just depends on what you're looking for. I think it's great that you're willing to get out there and explore the horizons!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,394 times
You have chosen some great areas and Torrie pretty much said most of the noteworthy stuff. You're going to be ambivalent to the end with three such nice places, though if by "SNOW" you mean a lot of winter recreation, Boise comes up a bit short (more next paragraph). I'm biased toward Boise, as it controlled growth while Denver and Spokane grew a bit too fast for my taste (and got the traffic and crime that come with that!). I also grew up in Boise, so it carries my personal bias from that angle as well. I used to frequent Spokane when I lived in the Panhandle (i.e., North Idaho) and my sister lived in Ft. Collins, CO for several years while I lived a 6-hr drive away in Los Alamos, NM. So, at least in subjective terms, I have some pretty full experience for comparison and contrast.

Truly, Boise has great access to winter recreation, but Spokane is definitely more centralized between the Cascades and Clearwater ranges, which are hard to beat in all four seasons, and you'll get all four, no holds barred. Spokane is also a better place to look for entry level work. Also, Denver would work on those fronts as well. Boise can get some mild winters and, although the city gives all the trees your heart can desire, Boise itself is a high desert ecosystem with the Boise River providing an oasis.

Like I said, Torrie covered all the bases. My one disagreement with Torrie is that Boise may bore youth. It's no SoCal or NYC by any means (and if you thrive on 24-hr good times, then Torrie's right), but there is a formidable youth and underground culture, and Boise's nightlife is MUCH safer than that of Spokane and Denver. If mingling at night and multi-seasonal recreating in light are your cup of tea for free time well spent, Boise leaves nothing to be desired. This is especially true of you would like an area that maintains a quaint feel with a ~200K population. Denver and Spokane both make the city vibe quite apparent.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Boise is Mayberry compared to Spokane.
People in Boise are better groomed too.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise is Mayberry compared to Spokane.
People in Boise are better groomed too.
Yeah, Spokane just has a run down, dirty vibe around the city center, and that goes out for a substantial radius from there. It had nice neighborhoods that I have seen, but all my friends then were service sector, flop house demographic. I had two friends who let me tramp at their houses, one to the north of the river off Maple, just about 10-15 blocks from downtown and another one to the south of the river, just up the hill on Maple from the Interstate, and the neighborhood vibe in those areas led us Idahoans to nickname the place Spo-Compton. Assaults were commonplace and my friends both told me that murder "wasn't exactly a surprise" when it happened. I was involved in numerous shady interactions walking to/from bars in those areas and you could get a lot more than some missing cooking ingredient from the neighbors. It was good to be a large, ungroomed, unpretentious male in a group of the same during those visits.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Like I said, Torrie covered all the bases. My one disagreement with Torrie is that Boise may bore youth. It's no SoCal or NYC by any means (and if you thrive on 24-hr good times, then Torrie's right), but there is a formidable youth and underground culture, and Boise's nightlife is MUCH safer than that of Spokane and Denver. If mingling at night and multi-seasonal recreating in light are your cup of tea for free time well spent, Boise leaves nothing to be desired. This is especially true of you would like an area that maintains a quaint feel with a ~200K population. Denver and Spokane both make the city vibe quite apparent.
I knew I might catch some smack from someone for even suggesting that, LOL! I remember what it was like to be young...especially living in Southern Cali......oh yes, it was all about the clubs when I lived there and the 24-7 atmosphere. Kinda funny how your priorities change as you get older. I know for me, moving to Boise at 19 would have been a shock.....I guess it just depends where you're at in your life and what you're looking for.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Tracy,

OK...since you're from SoCal, let me put it into some perspective.

Boise: This of a mix of Irvine (Meridian), Pasadena/Glendale (North End), Cucamonga (Eagle), and Corona (east end). And the downtown area feels like the South Coast Plaza metro area, with BSU right smack in the mix. Older areas REALLY feel like sort of the Anaheim area. Not horrible, but sort of run down and older.

Spokane: Take a mix of Lancaster/Palmdale, throw in some Barstow, mix in the LBC...that's about it. But...get over to Coeur d'Alene, and you get a happening social scene on Sherman around the resort, some of the most gorgeous scenery at the lake, etc.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM

108 posts, read 340,279 times
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Tracy,

OK...since you're from SoCal, let me put it into some perspective.

Boise: This of a mix of Irvine (Meridian), Pasadena/Glendale (North End), Cucamonga (Eagle), and Corona (east end). And the downtown area feels like the South Coast Plaza metro area, with BSU right smack in the mix. Older areas REALLY feel like sort of the Anaheim area. Not horrible, but sort of run down and older.

Spokane: Take a mix of Lancaster/Palmdale, throw in some Barstow, mix in the LBC...that's about it. But...get over to Coeur d'Alene, and you get a happening social scene on Sherman around the resort, some of the most gorgeous scenery at the lake, etc.
This was really helpful comparison. Thanks a lot. I can see it all now....
North End sounds great!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds495 View Post
North End sounds great!
'Tis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area