Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 06:57 PM

36 posts, read 118,751 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some casual dining restaurants for lunch or dinner that are unique (i.e. not chains) with good food and atmosphere?

We do not necessarily need a kid-friendly menu, but definitely someplace that is appropriate for (well behaved) children.

We gravitate toward steaks, seafood, BBQ, Italian, American,

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Just ate at Barbacoa's tonite- Spanish, close to downtown Boise, Parkcenter /dynamite! Might be a little spendy, but definitely unique experience. Get the guacamole- they make right there at the table.

Asiago's- Italian, downtown Boise/ 1002 W. Main St.

Westside Drive Inn- 100% American; as casual as you can get- local favorite, definitely a hit with the kids/ Boise on State St, closest cross street I believe is 26th or around there

Romio's Pizza & Pasta- casual, good pizza, Boise on Milwaukee close to the mall

The Rib Shack- dynamite ribs, this one's in Eagle / 360 E. State St.

Epi's- Basque food, a little spendy but well worth it! Gotta make reservations for this in advance, as it's a local favorite. Meridian/1115 N. Main St. 884-0142. Say "hi" to Chris the owner- really nice lady!

Cafe O'le- Mexican, downtown Boise 404 South 8th

You can google some of these and you'll see them online. Yum! Happy eating!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Torrie

Is Bar Genika still at 202 S Capitol Blvd?

When I visited Boise a few years ago I enjoyed a few light meals in this welcoming, casual place.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:11 AM

71 posts, read 403,130 times
I might add The Blue Moose in Eagle has salads and sandwiches, The Stuffed Olive in Eagle serves gourmet-ish Italian in a casual setting, and Bardenay in Eagle is a brewery where you can order heavier meals or just sandwiches or just appetizers. All of these have extremely casual (kid-friendly) atmospheres.

Happy Dining.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Torrie

Is Bar Genika still at 202 S Capitol Blvd?

When I visited Boise a few years ago I enjoyed a few light meals in this welcoming, casual place.
You know, I have heard of this place...... isn't it a Basque restaurant? Haven't eaten there yet, but will have to try it. I think it's still there, but not sure.

Boise has a lot of neat places to eat for a city of it's size- I love the variety.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
You know, I have heard of this place...... isn't it a Basque restaurant? Haven't eaten there yet, but will have to try it. I think it's still there, but not sure.

Boise has a lot of neat places to eat for a city of it's size- I love the variety.

When I was there I guess I'd have described it as a bistro, maybe not a full tilt restaurant menu, but ate there several times and enjoyed it, had a nice, neighborhood kind of feel to it that I enjoy. Ypu're correct about it being Basque influenced.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post

Bar Gernika is great. It is kind of like a Basque pub and all items on the menu are Basque sandwiches, etc.
It is owned by Basque citizens and a lot of the regulars are Basque.
This website has info on the Basque Block in downtown.

http://thebasqueblock.com/gernika.asp

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Westside Drive In, one of the local favorite restaurants can be seen on the Baby Borrowers. See my post here for links

https://www.city-data.com/forum/boise...ml#post4485369

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 PM

I think on tonights episode of Baby Borrowers, the alternative restaurant Donnie Mac's Trailer Park cuisine will be featured.

Haven't eaten there myself, but it has a fun trailer park trash theme going on- a fun and casual place to eat.

Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cuisine - Boise, ID 83702
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area