Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 PM

99 posts, read 56,448 times

Advertisements

So, I just heard about that. My wife and I were supposed to be in the area at this very minute. We were going to leave on Friday, but, cancelled it due to the virus.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-0...-idaho-montana

Anyway, this is my first post on here. I know there are alot of "we're moving to the area......" So, ya thats us. Moving out of Nuttie-fornia after 54 years of being in the same 90 mile radius. We're hoping to be outta here by mid-June. I'll be posting up some more soon. Cheers, y'all!

Oh,ya. 6.5???? Pfffft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,765,471 times
Ironically Idaho is full of many fault lines across the entire State so go figure. This one happened to be centered more NE of Boise near Challis which is near the Sawtooth Mountain Range. But heck, the very Snake River is a fault line. So when one goes they all are a bit connected in their reactions. I don't think I'd let it keep me from moving to such a place. I was in the Bay Area for the 89 quake and that was a real mother Salt Lake just had a good one of which they are overdue for a whopper. We could get another soon or a very long while......who knows. This one reminded me of the 89 Bay Area quake in that it has a good amount of time that was like a wave back and forth east to west in this case. I couldn't wait for it to END! Here's a link stating that there is a newly discovered fault likely to cause some serious damage at some point. Looks very much like the one involved this time around near Stanley https://www.cbsnews.com/news/idaho-f...gnitude-quake/

Last edited by dcisive; 03-31-2020 at 08:59 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 09:57 PM

289 posts, read 312,164 times
I was in the garage when it happened. First the overhead door was moving and I assumed the wind was kicking up. Then all the shelves and stacks of totes were moving and it finally clicked... earthquake! Wasn't as intense as the two I experienced in western WA some time ago. I think one of those was a 7.2 but it was deep. The one we experienced today surely must not be unusual for the area. Maybe not common, but probably not unusual.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:39 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,029,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Boundndown View Post
So, I just heard about that. My wife and I were supposed to be in the area at this very minute. We were going to leave on Friday, but, cancelled it due to the virus.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-0...-idaho-montana

Anyway, this is my first post on here. I know there are alot of "we're moving to the area......" So, ya thats us. Moving out of Nuttie-fornia after 54 years of being in the same 90 mile radius. We're hoping to be outta here by mid-June. I'll be posting up some more soon. Cheers, y'all!

Oh,ya. 6.5???? Pfffft.
WELCOME!
You stand correct it was a 6.5 earthquake.
Same here as I have been in commiefornicate/corruptfornia-Nuttiefornia for over 59 years. Been through a few big quakes over 6.5 and I wouldn't let this stop me from leaving here.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,029,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Ironically Idaho is full of many fault lines across the entire State so go figure. This one happened to be centered more NE of Boise near Challis which is near the Sawtooth Mountain Range. But heck, the very Snake River is a fault line. So when one goes they all are a bit connected in their reactions. I don't think I'd let it keep me from moving to such a place. I was in the Bay Area for the 89 quake and that was a real mother Salt Lake just had a good one of which they are overdue for a whopper. We could get another soon or a very long while......who knows. This one reminded me of the 89 Bay Area quake in that it has a good amount of time that was like a wave back and forth east to west in this case. I couldn't wait for it to END! Here's a link stating that there is a newly discovered fault likely to cause some serious damage at some point. Looks very much like the one involved this time around near Stanley https://www.cbsnews.com/news/idaho-f...gnitude-quake/
Snake River is a fault line??? Wow didn't know that.
I remember the 89 quake in the San Francisco Bay area. It was centered in the Loma Prieta area which is over 100+ miles from here. Still that quake did lots of damage to the SF Bay area collapsing the Bay Bridge and the freeways. Lots of fires.
They shut down BART and all transportation systems. Took me over 6 hours to get home at 2AM in the morning via ferry.
Just like yourself, I won't let the earthquake in Boise or other earthquakes in Idaho stop me from leaving Corrupfornia.
I fear Tornadoes. You can see th ose coming. No Tornadoe Alley for me.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 AM

99 posts, read 56,448 times
I remember the 89 quake. I lived in Chico. I was in the Sears auto repair shop with my girlfriend who was from Oakland. The ball game was on the t.v in the service dept and that;s when it hit,

Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,703,581 times
If only this thread could have from it's origin point and going forward kept to the topic of the Idaho earthquake of yesterday & not ventured on into the realm of calling another state names.

If your intent is to go all things anti-California or political by extension, then go to the appropriate forum subset area & contribute to an already existing thread or create a specific thread that addresses your wishes.

I specifically came to thus thread because I have relatives near Boise & I saw the thread "earthquake" title in the 50 U.S. States portion of the forum. I did not come here for California-bashing.

Good grief people!

Last edited by atler8; 04-01-2020 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: eliminated line spaces

Old 04-01-2020, 08:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times
Epicenter was about 15 mi NNW of Stanley. There is a caldera NE of that point in the even more remote mountains.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...8jr5/executive

There was a 7.3 quake over at Mackay in the 70's or 80's, along a fault line running at the base of Borah Peak.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,780,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
If only this thread could have from it's origin point and going forward kept to the topic of the Idaho earthquake of yesterday & not ventured on into the realm of calling another state names.

If your intent is to go all things anti-California or political by extension, then go to the appropriate forum subset area & contribute to an already existing thread or create a specific thread that addresses your wishes.

I specifically came to thus thread because I have relatives near Boise & I saw the thread "earthquake" title in the 50 U.S. States portion of the forum. I did not come here for California-bashing.

Good grief people!
[mod note] It's cool . . . so far. "California Bashing" is the unofficial state sport, (and it's spinoff, "Washington Bashing"). It's usually all good natured, harmless fun. Most of us hail from the Golden State anyway. However, there is a limit to what is allowed, so you need not worry, it will be mild and remain 'in check'. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times
This is more of general interest than anything useful so feel free to ignore me on this! It is not anything actionable. FWIW..... I am active on 6 forum sites. (Yeah, I know too many!) The folks on this Idaho and the Wyoming forum are being pretty cool. Ditto for the 2 auto sites and the snowmobile site that I frequent.

The one site where people have nastily turned on each other is a vacationer site .... for the Outer Banks of NC. The limited owner sub-froum is staying cool but the general open-to-the-public sub-forum has gone pretty nasty. So, the group here is a relief for discussing things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area