Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times

Advertisements

How is the Caldwell, Nampa area?? My husband and I really love Idaho and would love to move back. We've seen houses are cheap in Caldwell and Nampa. But we have also heard that these cities can be bad. I was raised in Los Angeles and my husband in Phoenix so we're not easily startled. I do want to raise my children in a safe city though. Please tell me how the housing market is and how the crime is. Is there really a huge gang problem in Nampa? Please give any info you feel I would want to know as a parent.

Thank YoU!

Last edited by MommyCrum2; 04-15-2008 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM

879 posts, read 2,859,098 times
Nampa is better than Caldwell. Meridian may be a better option although not quite as cheap. Very family oriented and safe. I think most of the people on here check the Idaho forum too but you may want to post in the Boise Area forum.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,762 times
You have to visit and guage it for yourself. There are so many threads on this topic and some people present Nampa as SC LA, and some act like it is Stepford. It is some where in the middle. There are some characterless sprawling middle class suburbs and some run down ghettos rife with Latino gangs, pick your poison.

Either way you'll need to visit, with a city like Nampa or Caldwell you can't trust an internet board.

If you can afford it, definately move into Boise city limits.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,870 times
Default Hill Built Homes

I just wanted to give heads up on anyone wanting to build a home in the Nampa and Caldwell area.
I am building with Hill Built Homes and my wife and I are really regretting it.
Actually after this experience I am thinking of starting a web site like Angel's List for new comers thinking of building. This site would be a place people can relate and share problems with others and rate the building companies or individuals for either their excellent or disappointment.
Maybe have some help sections for problems.
If this sounds of interest to anyone. Let me know.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 AM

44 posts, read 142,907 times
Default No to Caldwell

I lived in Nampa for 8 years..thank goodness our realtor told us not to buy in Caldwell!! What a piece of crap city,and it's moving to Nampa. I really would not suggest either one if you have kids-the schools are awful. The poster who recommened Meridian is right on.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyCrum2 View Post
How is the Caldwell, Nampa area?? My husband and I really love Idaho and would love to move back. We've seen houses are cheap in Caldwell and Nampa. But we have also heard that these cities can be bad. I was raised in Los Angeles and my husband in Phoenix so we're not easily startled. I do want to raise my children in a safe city though. Please tell me how the housing market is and how the crime is. Is there really a huge gang problem in Nampa? Please give any info you feel I would want to know as a parent.

Thank YoU!
If you go to Nampa or Caldwell, get a good feel for your neighborhood before you move in. It really does go in all directions, mostly from great to bad to worse. Personally, I love Idaho but wouldn't live in either of those towns. Too much poverty and the resulting deviance, relative to most Idaho towns.

What really makes you love/loathe an area? Tell some of that and most of us could tell you if it will either be just fine or awful for you.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM

150 posts, read 580,651 times
My husband and I have made a vow that no matter how cheap Nampa and Caldwell are we will never move there. This is coming someone (myself) that is from a town right outside of Chicago.

They are trying to make Nampa better but its not working and it smells so bad because of the Sugar Beet Factory.

I suggest Boise,Meridian,Kuna and if you could possibly afford Eagle.

You will be so happy that you didnt buy a house in Nampa or Caldwell.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,417 times
I live in caldwell, it is nice, but you need to find a well kept subdivison before you move. Meridian is better for your tastes.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM

215 posts, read 789,290 times
You can get some really good deals in Nampa and Caldwell this is true, people who have posted before are right...you have to find good neighborhoods in these areas, Meridian is where I am and I like it due to the family-friendly feel you get from the neighborhoods and schools.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,647 times
Yeah, Meridian is a lot better, for both access and the demographic. In Nampa and Caldwell, you'd have to be willing to invest in land to find a good neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area