Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM

124 posts, read 476,498 times

Advertisements

I searched the threads for any info on the best cell phone coverage in the Boise area and found that it was Verizon.
The post was 5 years old. Any new input on best coverage? Which companies do you use?
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I don't have any new information. Verizon still works in Boise. That's the only company my family uses so i don't know how well other companies work

Old 07-19-2019, 10:34 AM

213 posts, read 343,614 times
Yeah, Verizon is the best in the area. My brother tried FreedomPop cell service and was miserable. My husband uses Ting (off the Sprint network) and has issues. But at $25/month it's worth putting up with those issues. I think t-mobile works ok here.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:57 AM

72 posts, read 46,212 times
Up until two years ago, I had Sprint here and it was terrible. Now I have AT&T and it works great! I'm sure Verizon is really good, too.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM

51 posts, read 72,133 times
I have ATT as well and have zero issues. I drive from Boise to Idaho Falls often and don't lose service.
I am curious what Sprint users have to say though as their plan prices are hard to beat.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:55 AM

232 posts, read 565,852 times
I have Verizon and my wife has AT&T.

Neither of us has any issues in/around the Boise area.

We travel to areas around Spokane and Seattle, plus through central Oregon and on into Northern California. Some of those trips go through some very barren parts of the country where cell service is a sometimes thing (the road signs saying "Next gas 100 miles is a clue), and invariably my Verizon has greater coverage than her AT&T service.

That said, with the 5G systems being installed, that may change. 5G has slightly less range, but much higher speeds. The major cell service companies are planning to expand coverage as they upgrade to the new standard.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:17 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times
FWIW.... I work in the cellular industry and expect rural coverage expansion to not get much priority at all with 5G. The money is going to be focused on expanding capacity in the higher use areas; that is where 5G helps and where the cellular companies are getting slammed for usage. They are going to have a lot of expense in rolling out 5G, because they are going to need to add a lot of added backhaul lines from the higher numbers of smaller cells. Those lines and cells involve not only construction expense but continuing operating costs each month. They are still grappling with that big deployment and operating expense and how to make it work and that is going to make the roll-out slooow in the US, with its wide open spaces and non-government subsidized business model.

BTW, 5G is a a 'mixed technology' setup. The newer higher speed technology is intended for the suburban/urban settings but the 4G LTE technology is still part and parcel of the whole 5G standard. The 4G is intended to continue in the more rural areas; it might be labeled under the 5G umbrella, but is not changing (for now).

I don't agree with everything as said in this article but it speaks to the potential 'sea change' that 5G could represent for the cellular operators.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-i...-need-to-know/

Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 AM

719 posts, read 1,568,162 times
Stick with Verizon or AT&T or one of the prepaid carriers that use one of those networks. I had Verizon for years but switched to Cricket several years ago and it works about equally well in my experience (Cricket is owned by AT&T).

Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 PM

31 posts, read 42,024 times
In the city of Boise, T-Mobile and Verizon are probably the best. I'd say they trade blows. AT&T was not that great when I had them a couple years ago, but I've heard they have improved.

I have Sprint now and it's fine, but not as good as T-Mobile or Verizon. But I'm paying $25 for unlimited, with roaming allowed (unlike most prepaid plans). In a few places, like in Walmart, it will roam on T-Mobile LTE so it fills in some of the dead zones. Some areas Sprint is very good and fast, like around downtown I can pull speeds above 80 Mbps. Some dead spots for LTE indoors (I can almost always still get enough signal to make a call), but it works well everywhere I need it to.

Rural coverage, Verizon is probably best. AT&T probably has an edge over T-Mobile, but T-Mobile has significantly expanded rural coverage over the past few years and it's pretty good in a lot of places now. Including covering some places no other carrier does like Idaho City. So depending on where you go, it may be a coin toss. Sprint does not have much native rural coverage in comparison, but with roaming allowed in many places on T-Mobile and US Cellular (no limits and LTE), and Verizon (for calls and texts, limited data), it is still competitive.

As for prepaid, besides the normal options (Cricket, Metro, AT&T/Verizon Prepaid, etc), Project Fi is pretty nice. You get T-Mobile and Sprint in Boise, which combined means almost no dead zones around town. And same with rural areas, chances are one or the other will work. And once you get to rural Oregon you can pick up US Cellular too which fills in a lot of rural areas. The network switching only works on some phones though (like Pixels).

Old 09-19-2019, 05:57 PM

232 posts, read 565,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
FWIW.... I work in the cellular industry and expect rural coverage expansion to not get much priority at all with 5G. The money is going to be focused on expanding capacity in the higher use areas; that is where 5G helps and where the cellular companies are getting slammed for usage. They are going to have a lot of expense in rolling out 5G, because they are going to need to add a lot of added backhaul lines from the higher numbers of smaller cells. Those lines and cells involve not only construction expense but continuing operating costs each month. They are still grappling with that big deployment and operating expense and how to make it work and that is going to make the roll-out slooow in the US, with its wide open spaces and non-government subsidized business model.

BTW, 5G is a a 'mixed technology' setup. The newer higher speed technology is intended for the suburban/urban settings but the 4G LTE technology is still part and parcel of the whole 5G standard. The 4G is intended to continue in the more rural areas; it might be labeled under the 5G umbrella, but is not changing (for now).

I don't agree with everything as said in this article but it speaks to the potential 'sea change' that 5G could represent for the cellular operators.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-i...-need-to-know/

Thank you very much for an excellent explanation. I had no idea about the mixed technology part....very good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area