Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 AM

355 posts, read 564,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY THE LAND PRO View Post
mustangjoey,

Yeah it's a really culture shock going to the midwest from Idaho everything is different and more don't know if faster is the word. However, the weather was a bit different and took awhile to get use to (Cold was similar to that of Sun Valley maybe a little colder the humidity was brutal.) Thank goodness, I was able to have my wife decide to move back to Idaho because of the great community and safety there is here. So grateful for my wife decision because without her blessing I would not have been able to move back to Boise.
Same here, I'm so glad my wife was open to moving here this time. We first looked back in 2007, and I was all for it, but it wasn't a good time and she definitely wasn't. Things change, and she became interested again a year ago or so, and I was really excited. She came out on her own to check out the area again, looked at homes, and was sold. I didn't need any convincing!

It hasn't really felt like much of a culture shock for me, as I think the Boise/Eagle/Meridian area doesn't feel much different from where we left, other than not being as crowded, cheaper and nicer people. It is crazy how much cheaper living expenses are, but also how much less the salaries are. Big change there. One of the things I love is that if you like a bigger city feel, places to shop, etc., you can find that. If you want a smaller town feel (I like driving over to Emmett for breakfast on the weekend ), you can find that very nearby also. There's a bit of everything.

I feel like it was an awesome move for us, and am so happy that we made the move. There were a lot of moving parts, and glad it all came together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:45 PM

33 posts, read 48,696 times
Default Oh I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsource View Post
Sully,

My post was in response to Coffeebreakwhatever, not addressed to you. Sorry if that was confusing.
Hrsource,

I see sorry I thought you were referring to me not responding to your post. I was confused anyways, make it a great day!

Sully

Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
Boise is on its way to becoming the next large, and crowded and expensive metro. It will follow suit as Portland and Seattle have. I notice the rents in Boise are climbing rapidly every year.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 AM

Default The Next Portland and Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Boise is on its way to becoming the next large, and crowded and expensive metro. It will follow suit as Portland and Seattle have. I notice the rents in Boise are climbing rapidly every year.
folkguitarist,
You maybe right the rent and housing has gone up. I don't think it will get to the point like Portland or Seattle at all. I see it maybe more like Salt Lake but I really don't see the comparison to the other city. Just my opinion see Boise as been under priced for a while and that is why there is an influx of people to this area.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
Boise underpriced? Maybe for rich people. But for those of us lower income folks who are considering relocating to Boise...the rapidly rising apt rents are not a welcome factor. The Californians are likely the culprits behind much of the rapidly increasing rents in Boise... Just like they are everywhere else they migrate to on the West Coast. Boise will become similiar to Seattle in time. U could get a 1 bdrm in Boise for $600 a few years ago. Now it's all $1000 and up. Minimum wage in Idaho is $7.25 an hour. The car traffic is getting nasty in Boise as well.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 09-06-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 AM

124 posts, read 233,113 times
Sully this is fantastic information. My family of 4 are looking to relocate soon from Massachusetts. Hopefully by next summer.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM

127 posts, read 140,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Boise underpriced? Maybe for rich people. But for those of us lower income folks who are considering relocating to Boise...the rapidly rising apt rents are not a welcome factor. The Californians are likely the culprits behind much of the rapidly increasing rents in Boise... Just like they are everywhere else they migrate to on the West Coast. Boise will become similiar to Seattle in time. U could get a 1 bdrm in Boise for $600 a few years ago. Now it's all $1000 and up. Minimum wage in Idaho is $7.25 an hour. The car traffic is getting nasty in Boise as well.
Why is it the Californians who are to blame when I see car plates from all over the country, Illinois, New York, Florida, Oregon, Washington, etc. etc? People are moving here from all over. I see it as diffusion in chemistry. Molecules will move from areas of higher concentration to lower concentration until equilibrium is reached. As long as there is overpopulation exists in other states, people will move into lesser populated areas.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:31 PM

355 posts, read 564,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
Why is it the Californians who are to blame when I see car plates from all over the country, Illinois, New York, Florida, Oregon, Washington, etc. etc? People are moving here from all over. I see it as diffusion in chemistry. Molecules will move from areas of higher concentration to lower concentration until equilibrium is reached. As long as there is overpopulation exists in other states, people will move into lesser populated areas.
Some people need something or someone to blame. I think it's one of the negative trends I see in our society, a lack of any personal responsibility for anything. Everything is someone else's fault and everyone is a victim.

Those who have a hard time buying something here should try to save up a $100,000 down payment on a $500k crap box in a rough area of California. It's much harder to buy a home there for a first time buyer than than it is here. Rents are also crazy high, and many people are putting half of their paycheck in a rent payment. Not everyone in California is making huge paychecks.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM

92 posts, read 128,108 times
I just started looking into Idaho as a potential place to move my family. Currently we live in Sarasota Fl, which on most days when you factor in humidity is the hottest real feel place in the country. When I run in the morining, typically it is 100% humidity with dew point at 75. Its hard to explain what that feels like.

Anyhow, we have been looking strongly at Minnesota, because we want all 4 seasons and mice trails and parks for outdoor acyivities.But, I just had a nurse tell me about Meridian Id. So far this looks like a fantastic place to move my athletic and energetic girls. I will continue to do more research and possibly plan a reconasance trip

Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
I just started looking into Idaho as a potential place to move my family. Currently we live in Sarasota Fl, which on most days when you factor in humidity is the hottest real feel place in the country. When I run in the morining, typically it is 100% humidity with dew point at 75. Its hard to explain what that feels like.

Anyhow, we have been looking strongly at Minnesota, because we want all 4 seasons and mice trails and parks for outdoor acyivities.But, I just had a nurse tell me about Meridian Id. So far this looks like a fantastic place to move my athletic and energetic girls. I will continue to do more research and possibly plan a reconasance trip
JJTT,

I would say that the community in this area is one of the best places. We get all 4 season here without the crazy degree drops that my happen in the midwest. However, unlike Minnesota with blizzards and tornadoes you will really won't see that as an issue in the Boise, Meridian area. Now would you have bad weather yes but not nearly to the frequency of the midwest. The athletics in this area are very good with a very competitive leagues throughout the age groups. If you need any reconnaissance done I would be happy to help out. Running in the mornings here are actually really nice and feels refreshing when you are finished with the run.

Sully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area