Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:05 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,563,021 times

Advertisements

I am possibly buying at the area of Ustick and South Montana Ave. I have just seen a few posts that Caldwell is pretty bad. Is it really that bad or are there good and bad pockets. More to the point is this a bad area?

Thanks for any advice

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 AM

149 posts, read 1,097,778 times
Yeah, there are worse places to live in the US, for sure. But, IMO, Caldwell is the worst place in Idaho to live.

If you have a job in Caldwell, I'd move to one of the suburbs, like Greenleaf is nice. I'd never want to live in Caldwell, though.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 AM

39 posts, read 238,212 times
Wink Caldwell

Caldwell has it's good and bad areas. 10th and Ustick...? Would that be West Valley Estates? I wouldnt want to live in a track home in that area. Too many renters. I agree that Greenleaf or Notus would be better.....

I did see an big older home (1947) on 7.8 acres on Notus rd for $265k, the owners didnt like Idaho and are moving back to Cali. That is rare, 95% of the people I've met from Cali love this place.

Buy land, it's going away!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 PM

I am actually looking at a new duplex 2/2/1 so a renters area is acceptable. I was checking to see if renters would be scared off from the area and I would have a hard time renting or not. I've been told they should rent for 665 pretty easily

Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM

Default renting in Caldwell

I don't mean to sound bad towards renting, I just had too many bad experiences with the "people next door" drugs, crime, rotten kids......
Just know your renters rights, there are alot of slumlords!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:54 PM

thanks for the heads up. I will however be the slum lord. Since the duplex is brand new you can be sure I won't be renting to questionable people who might destroy the place. I wil be looking for people with decent credit and rental history as well as criminal checks during the application process. All my rentals are far from slums. That's a type of rental and renter I don't want to deal with

Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
thanks for the heads up. I will however be the slum lord. Since the duplex is brand new you can be sure I won't be renting to questionable people who might destroy the place. I wil be looking for people with decent credit and rental history as well as criminal checks during the application process. All my rentals are far from slums. That's a type of rental and renter I don't want to deal with
People with decent credit, rental history and a good criminal check are HOME OWNERS.
I wish you the best of luck though. Really.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,422 times
I agree with Topgun. Getting good renters can be difficult. Getting rid of BAD renters is even harder here in Idaho. There are so many rules and loop holes the renters can use on you. Even with good credit what looks to be the perfect renter can turn into the renter from H**L and you WILL be stuck with them and their damage. And even lucky if they do not turn around and sue you. If you are not familiar with Idaho rental rules you better get a real close look at them first. We have been down that road and I would NEVER consider buying rental property again. I hope it will work out better for you.

Chris

Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,999 times
I've spent some time in Caldwell looking for property for my clients and I've have found that Caldwell has a history and I believe it's just that, History. Caldwell in on the fast track rebuilding itself and I believe it to be a safe place to live. If you're moving ot a newer community you'll be just fine.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,093 times
I was drawn to Caldwell by the home prices there (when traveling to Idaho to look for affordable housing). The residential area away from downtown was not that bad, but downtown is kind of dirty and scary. House prices were great though (fall 05) running in the 125k-200k range for new homes.

My wife did not like Caldwell at all, and there wasn't a lot of good news coming out of the area while we were there. It might be going in the right direction though for all I know, since the residential area was full of families/kids everywhere and it looked like they were building a new school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area