Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,149 times

Advertisements

Diversity: which area in Boise is the best for diversity if someone were relocating to Boise? I mean diversity like tolerance towards others that do not fall into the straight, white, 2.5 kids, upper middle class category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just3ofus View Post
Diversity: which area in Boise is the best for diversity if someone were relocating to Boise? I mean diversity like tolerance towards others that do not fall into the straight, white, 2.5 kids, upper middle class category.
Pretty much anywhere in the entire city would work for you, it is live and let live around here. As with most cities, the closer you get to downtown the more diverse it is, so the Northend and Eastend and downtown areas will be the most diverse.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 27,525 times
Default Is there some are with a diverse community in Boise?

Hi we are fam from offutt looking to relocate and settle in the Boise area my research still shows low AA population,and an overwhelming percentage of registered sex offenders in Boise Meridian Nampa And even large numbers in Eagle....did you and your family relocate to Boise? If so is there a "black/AA " community? and have topical noticed any racial issues or racial tensions profiling hate crimes etc. ? We are raising a preteen male and a young female toddler....any areas suggested...? If at all? Thanks ~HTown Southern Bell

Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
This has been answered before, but Idaho has very little tolerance for sex crimes. Minor offenses like urinating in public can sometimes result in an indecent exposure charge which will land you on the list of registered sex offenders. Also knew a few guys that got hit with statutory rape charges because they were 18 and dating another high school student. Not condoning it, but consensual sex between high school students can result in having to register as a sex offender.

Have not heard of profiling in Boise. The police pull everyone over for minor offenses and the color of your skin doesn't matter.

As far as AA community you may want to touch base with St Paul Baptist Church in downtown Boise. They are the historical black/AA church in town.

I used to work with a woman with interracial family and asked her about discrimination. My sister was thinking about moving to the area and she is married to an AA man. This person told me that her kids were active in sports and occasionally(very, very rarely) if her kids were at a game they may hear a racial slur from the other team in the heat of battle. Other than that she could not think of any discrimination.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Pretty much anywhere in the entire city would work for you, it is live and let live around here. As with most cities, the closer you get to downtown the more diverse it is, so the Northend and Eastend and downtown areas will be the most diverse.
I wouldn't call the North End diverse. I see almost nothing but white folk wearing about three different brands of clothing and driving the same five cars in the North End. Or a few hippies and college kids that rent a dim studio for the price of a house. The East End is even less diverse than the North End (fewer hovels for the hippies to shack up).

I'm not calling those areas Stepford, and they are rather nice. But they still have a standard nearly everyone there conforms to.

Try the bench, for a more diverse area. There are rich and poor people, and more racial and cultural diversity than anywhere else in Boise/Meridian and possibly anywhere else in Idaho.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I wouldn't call the North End diverse. I see almost nothing but white folk wearing about three different brands of clothing and driving the same five cars in the North End. Or a few hippies and college kids that rent a dim studio for the price of a house. The East End is even less diverse than the North End (fewer hovels for the hippies to shack up).

I'm not calling those areas Stepford, and they are rather nice. But they still have a standard nearly everyone there conforms to.

Try the bench, for a more diverse area. There are rich and poor people, and more racial and cultural diversity than anywhere else in Boise/Meridian and possibly anywhere else in Idaho.
True the Bench is diverse but the downtown area (northend/eastend) also has racial diversity. The area in West Downtown, adjacent to the Northend between 27th Street and 30th Street is probably the most diverse area in the entire city. There is also a pocket in the East End near Broadway that has racial diversity. And of course the BSU area does too, which is downtown. But, jufrbo, racial diversity itn't neccessarily the main question from the original post. I understood just3ofus as asking about open minded and accepting people, in which case Boise fits this category, but I would say that the Northend and Eastend's are the most open minded and accepting areas of the city even if they are predominantly caucasian.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 03-07-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,169 times
I would put the bench at the top of the list for diversity, open-mindedness, and a sense of community. I grew up in the north end, live on the bench, and work throughout Boise. The bench reminds me of what the north end was like when I was growing up.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,479 times
Smile Diversity: which area in Boise is the best for diversity

Originally posted by just3ofus

Most people in Boise are friendly and accepting of everyone. If you have children, you may want to consider that the Bridge program is located at Borah High School (on the Boise Bench and including Southwest Boise.) It is a program to help high school refugee students with their acquisition of English so Borah High School has a large number of students from all over the world (many from Russia and Bosnia but recent refugees are coming more from Africa, Southeast Asia and the Middle East.) See more information on Borah Bridge Program: [url=http://www.borahsenator.com/featured/2011/09/22/bridge-students-foster-new-relationships-and-share-stories-at-borah/]The Borah Senator : Bridge students foster new relationships and share stories at Borah[/url]

Idaho has several refugee resettlement agencies so Boise is home to many refugees. Find more data from the Idaho Office for Refugees: [url=http://www.idahorefugees.org/refugees_in_idaho/]Refugees in Idaho :: Idaho Office for Refugees[/url]

Downtown Boise is also home to Boise State University which has a large number of students from around the world. Other downtown cultural attractions include the Idaho Black History Museum, Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial and Augustana Chapel (started as Swedish Lutheran). Downtown Boise is also home to CR Languages - Offering courses in: English as Second Language, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, with private lessons in Russian and Mandarin.

Boise also has the largest concentration of people from Basque heritage outside of Basque country. Boise State University is one of only two in the USA to offer Basque (Euskara) language studies. Downtown Boise is home to the Basque Museum and Cultural Center and also a Basque Preschool. And there are the Oinkari Basque Dancers of Boise and Basque Festivals, including the Jaialdi International Basque Cultural Festival held once every five years in Boise.

Boise's Ahavath Beth Israel (in Boise since 1896) is located on the Boise Bench and is thought to be the oldest Jewish Synagogue in the western USA (which has been in continuous use since built.) Other diverse groups are represented by: the Islamic Center of Boise, Boise Institute for Buddhist Studies, Treasure Valley Celtic Festival & Highland Games, Boise Highlanders Bagpipe Band, Cinco de Mayo Festivals, Idaho Jewish Cultural Festival, Gene Harris Jazz Festival and Native American events sponsored mainly by the Shoshone, Bannock and Nez Perce. During early Frontier days Boise had it's own China Town in the downtown area but everyone has been assimilated into all Boise neighborhoods so the city is no longer separated into cultural areas.

People of Hispanic heritage live through out the area but with higher populations in the Nampa and Caldwell areas (an easy commute to Boise by freeway.) The Nampa school district offers some bilingual classes (taught in both English and Spanish.) Other languages frequently heard in Boise include: Bosnian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi and others.

Although the state was given a bad reputation by a hate group which left Idaho decades ago, most Idahoans go out of their way to counter that incorrect and outdated image, especially in the Boise Metropolitan area.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,441 times
Go out of their way to make their home into yet another 'multiculti' failure ending up in its third-worldization, rather, it seems. As if the fact that pretty much all major cities (except the most elite Liberal ones of course, hypocrisy obliges, like Boston and Portland) are well on their way to achieving that end isn't enough already...

Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Parmenide View Post
Go out of their way to make their home into yet another 'multiculti' failure ending up in its third-worldization, rather, it seems. As if the fact that pretty much all major cities (except the most elite Liberal ones of course, hypocrisy obliges, like Boston and Portland) are well on their way to achieving that end isn't enough already...
If you're referring to the last paragraph in the last person's post...then I would most strenuously object to your view...and that's as a far-right tea party christian conservative. You seem to have ZERO concept of what you're talking about when it comes to Idaho...so perhaps it would behoove you to type less and LISTEN to what others have to say more...

Wanting to have nothing to do with the stain of the aryan scum that hung around Hayden (that were run out of there in 1996) has nothing to do with other issues at play in big cities that cause them to become screwed up multicultural messes.

So your post just displays your complete ignorance of what's going on here (and I'm not calling YOU ignorant...but I am saying your condition is one of ignorance of our issues here).

As moderator, I need you to use a whole lot more common sense and decorum before posting things like this in the Idaho forum again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area