Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM

18 posts, read 65,424 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating to Boise from California but all the pictures I see look like a lot of open area without a lot of trees. Are there areas close to Boise with pine trees, more wooded areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,591 times
Pines you will have to drive 1 hour - 1.5 hours out.. Boise is rather deserty.. A lot of deciduous trees in the city proper, but outside it is quite barren. I would advise Hyde Park if you want the most wooded-area of the city. You can also live out by the so-called greenbelt. Well, I guess it is greener in the Summer when all deciduous trees are fully leaved, but it was quite brown there this year in the Winter.

If you can make the commute, Idaho City is in a very scenic and beautiful area, but the road is closed a lot from snow in the Winter, so I am told.

Have you considered Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area? It is much more beautiful and very foresty. I actually like the beauty of Northern Idaho quite a bit. It is also much more accessible. You will have to travel a sizable distance to get to any scenic forests if you live in the city of Boise.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-01-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Pines you will have to drive 1 hour - 1.5 hours out.. Boise is rather deserty.. A lot of deciduous trees in the city proper, but outside it is quite barren. I would advise Hyde Park if you want the most wooded-area of the city. You can also live out by the so-called greenbelt. Well, I guess it is greener in the Summer when all deciduous trees are fully leaved, but it was quite brown there this year in the Winter.

If you can make the commute, Idaho City is in a very scenic and beautiful area, but the road is closed a lot from snow in the Winter, so I am told.

Have you considered Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area? It is much more beautiful and very foresty. I actually like the beauty of Northern Idaho quite a bit. It is also much more accessible. You will have to travel a sizable distance to get to any scenic forests if you live in the city of Boise.
Thanks--I figured Coeur d'Alene would be a lot colder in winter, wouldn't it?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 AM

Yeah could be and snowier.. But lot more beautiful.. Boise isn't exactly Palm Springs in the Winter either though. It's dry cold vs wetter cold.. Boise is a desert, so pine trees are not plentiful.. Actually, they are completely absent from the environment, until you go to places you may consider "cold".

Colorado has warmer winters and big trees..

Have you considered Oregon?? VERY BIG trees and the winters are not that cold.. Idaho is much colder. However, Western Oregon is much rainier..

Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcemanDude View Post
Thinking about relocating to Boise from California but all the pictures I see look like a lot of open area without a lot of trees. Are there areas close to Boise with pine trees, more wooded areas?
The areas outside of Boise city limits and suburbs are mainly farm lands so there are not a lot trees in those areas, but in Boise itself there are a lot of trees and the closer you get to the river and downtown the more trees there are, some areas are thickly treed. The Boise River supports a rather large and dense cottonwood forest along its banks. Contrary to another persons post, you can get into the pine trees in about 1/2 hour from Boise...you can see them above the city on the mountains. If you drive up the main highways into the back country for less than an hour, you will be in more pine trees then you can shake a stick at. So, to answer your question, pine forests are close to Boise, very close.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Syringaloid, I was referring to the thick pine forests.. Of course, about 30 min from town, you start seeing pine trees, but he said he wanted to live in the pines.. That is why I suggested Idaho City. There isn't many places to live outside of Boise in the pines, as it is all very rural, unless you can find some rural property.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 AM

What about East Boise County--saw some nice properties up there? Can you get to Boise during the winter?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Yeah could be and snowier.. But lot more beautiful.. Boise isn't exactly Palm Springs in the Winter either though. It's dry cold vs wetter cold.. Boise is a desert, so pine trees are not plentiful.. Actually, they are completely absent from the environment, until you go to places you may consider "cold".

Colorado has warmer winters and big trees..

Have you considered Oregon?? VERY BIG trees and the winters are not that cold.. Idaho is much colder. However, Western Oregon is much rainier..
Don't take this the wrong way but I am trying to get away from the liberal mentality, which has essentially destroyed the California economy (and the state and municipality budgets). Not that I begrudge people their point of view, but as I consider it pretty much economic suicide to have the views the majority have in California, I'm looking to get out before the entire state's economy collapses. Oregon is California North, essentially, at least the populated areas. I would also like to stay close to California as I do have family/friends here so its an easy drive from Boise or Salt Lake, the other place I am considering.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcemanDude View Post
What about East Boise County--saw some nice properties up there? Can you get to Boise during the winter?

East Boise County: do you remember which towns or areas you saw? I just looked at a map and East Boise County almost looks like it would be the Atlanta area which is really deep woods and mountains.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM

278 posts, read 906,220 times
Wilderness Ranch (just across the Boise County line up highway 21) is probably the closest area to Boise that has a lot of pine trees. That or some of the areas along Robie Creek which is in the same general area. Those areas certainly are colder and snowier than Boise in the winter and are also a little far from city amenities.

The other posters are correct - Boise has a number of areas with mature, mostly deciduous trees. Pine forests only exist in the foothills and mountains outside of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area