Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 AM

40 posts, read 112,997 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Getting very serious about a move to Boise/Meridian/Eagle in the next 3-4 months.

When I started looking into one thing that is vitally important to us (Internet speeds), I found that virtually every option is woefully inadequate.

We have a business that is operated out of our home (no, nothing scammy or get rich quick). We download/upload relatively large files on a regular basis. I was very disappointed to learn that every Internet option (including Qwest) was limited to upload of 896 Kpbs or slower. That is 1/4 to 1/3 what is offered in virtually ever other moderate-sized city in the USA. Most Qwest plans in other cities have 2-3 Mpbs (more than 2-3x faster upload).

We thought that Boise prided itself on being a high-tech center? Why such slow Internet speeds?

Thanks,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM

139 posts, read 384,946 times
Tim,

Have you tried the local Qwest site? Qwest® Heavy Duty™ Internet High Speed Internet/Broadband service

I'm seeing upload speeds of 5 Mpbs and download speeds of 40.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,369,595 times
I use Clearwire wireless internet, 4G, 3 to 6 Mbps, and they advertise bursts up to 10 Mbps.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGray View Post
Tim,

Have you tried the local Qwest site? Qwest® Heavy Duty™ Internet High Speed Internet/Broadband service

I'm seeing upload speeds of 5 Mpbs and download speeds of 40.
This is the landing page for ALL of Qwest's services areas. It is correct that they offer up to 5Mbps in some of their locales, but I have not found any address in/around Boise that gives anything other than 896Kbps as the upload speed. I've tried numerous addresses (grabbed from real estate listings) from downtown (and non-downtown) Boise, Eagle, and Meridian. All displayed a max upload of 896Kbps.

Actually, that's my point. Qwest offers far better upload speeds in other service areas. Why not "high tech" Boise?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I use Clearwire wireless internet, 4G, 3 to 6 Mbps, and they advertise bursts up to 10 Mbps.
Hi TohobitPeak!

Unforunately, those are download speeds. If they were upload speeds, I would sign up and be thrilled. Upload speeds for Clearwire are advertised at 1Mpbs (slightly faster than Qwest).

Since you appear willing to help... Can you run a test for me?

Visit Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test Click "Begin Test," then tell me what the upload/download speeds are...and your approximate geographic location (major cross-streets are OK).

For that matter, if anyone is using Qwest and would be willing to do the same, it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps Qwest under-advertises and over-delivers???

On on my current provider's second-lowest plan. I get 6.67Mpbs down / 3.07Mbps upload.

I'm curious whether the speeds you get with Clearwire are as advertised.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,492,287 times
Since you seem really concerned about internet connection, just a heads up from someone else who works from home. To say that the electricity in parts of Boise is "quirky" is an understatement. I've talked to engineers from Idaho Power and they told me that certain parts of town have some real big issues that they are trying to address. The power grid that flows through my neighborhood extends close to the Boise River, 3-4 times a month a duck or a goose flies into the power line and causes a quick power surge.

The power surges are bad enough that I have had to buy two new power supplies for my computer and once it really fried my hard drive. So make sure you have an online backup program and a couple of spare computers. For the most part the surges are just a little annoying, you have to walk around the house and reset all of your clocks. The damaging ones occur maybe every 12-18 months.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,508,170 times
I ran the test from my workplace, on CableOne and got 5.43 dl, and 1.07 ul.

We are a very small business, and are on the "Economy" plan, which advertises up to 5/1, so we are right in the ballpark.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Since you seem really concerned about internet connection, just a heads up from someone else who works from home. To say that the electricity in parts of Boise is "quirky"...
We have several computers with UPS on each. Also have a gas generator, in case of a longer power outage.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM

86 posts, read 233,276 times
I'm very interested in this topic too.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM

114 posts, read 288,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Since you seem really concerned about internet connection, just a heads up from someone else who works from home. To say that the electricity in parts of Boise is "quirky" is an understatement. I've talked to engineers from Idaho Power and they told me that certain parts of town have some real big issues that they are trying to address. The power grid that flows through my neighborhood extends close to the Boise River, 3-4 times a month a duck or a goose flies into the power line and causes a quick power surge.

The power surges are bad enough that I have had to buy two new power supplies for my computer and once it really fried my hard drive. So make sure you have an online backup program and a couple of spare computers. For the most part the surges are just a little annoying, you have to walk around the house and reset all of your clocks. The damaging ones occur maybe every 12-18 months.

Basic surge protectors do not help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: