Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 26,899 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are considering a move out west. We are currently in Virginia and love spending time on our boat . . . tubing, skiing, just generally goofing off at a lake nearby. We are considering the Boise area and Colorado Springs. I saw a post that indicated there was very little swimming in Colorado because the water is just too cold, even during the summer. Is that the case in Boise? We love the west, the mountains, low humidity, etc., but would miss lazy days at a lake . . . Just wondering if we would have to totally give up that particular summer fun. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM

993 posts, read 3,254,457 times
Just jump in and get wet. No worries unless your high up in the mountains..

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM

139 posts, read 384,800 times
TJ,
As an avid water sports enthusiast and local Realtor, you can refer to the entire state of Idaho as "Waterworld". Summers are HOT here and the water is cool but not cold. You can go tubing in down town Boise or experience class 5 rapids an hour away. With plenty of local pristine lakes, I can guarantee you will be putting many hours on that boat of yours. The fishings not bad either.
Dave

Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 26,899 times
That sounds great. We're not really into wet suits!! We love the heat, but not the humidity. As far as I can tell from climate maps, it looks like your humidity is a bit lower than ours. Are the lakes big enough for skiing? Thanks so much! TJ

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

863 posts, read 2,994,363 times
We have lots of options for swimming and white water rafting, but your question seems to be regarding boating and swiming.

I have friend from Virginia who has talked about the boating they used to do on the Chesapeak Bay and while we do have boating lakes, I believe you will find it different here.

Lucky Peak is approz 15-20 min from most parts of town. It is a nice, local boating lake but gets VERY, VERY busy on Sundays and when when the temps rise. Parking is limited and the reservoir is narrow. Often there are so many boats and jetskis it can get a little nasty. If you go, plan to get there early to get parking, find a dock and get some sking or wake boarding in when the water is best and the crowds haven't yet arrived. Some avoid it entirely and go further down the road to Arrowrock, but the road is unpaved. Not every one is OK with that.

I believe Lake Lowell in Nampa is about to shut down from allowing boats. They say leaking gasoline is affecting wildlife. It's unfortunate for those in the area, but it's not fed with fresh water and gets a bit stagnant. When we had a boat we took it there once and gota bathtub "ring around the boat".

Further out East is CJ Strike. Clean, good fishing, nice and big, but for some may be a bit of a drive for a day trip. West (towards Oregon) is Owyhee. Then there are the mountain lakes, Redfish, Cascade, and Payette are the first ones that come to mind. The water is cooler so the swiming is nicest when the temps are high.

Boating summer fun is to be had in Idaho. You just may need to plan a little!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 PM

139 posts, read 384,800 times
TJ,
What humidity? The lakes are plenty big for skiing.
I sent you a message under separate cover.
Dave

Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM

68 posts, read 170,608 times
This is great to hear.....when it hits 115 here the lake is like bath water (yuck!!) - I would LOVE to introduce my kids to swimming in a lake, tubing, etc!
Thanks for a great question - I never would havethought to ask this.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,638,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGray View Post
TJ,
What humidity? The lakes are plenty big for skiing.
I sent you a message under separate cover.
Dave
This part of ID is semi-arid. High humidity is not a problem. In fact, sometimes it's a bit too dry. I have to run a humidifier indoors every now and then to keep from shocking my cats when I pet them.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 AM

8 posts, read 41,975 times
It is cold 9 months out of the year here. This year. ( 2010 ) It snowed well into April. I suggest not Boise. We have a horrrible governer. Its a slave wage state. Nothing really to do. Bad school system. VERY HIGH dropout rate.

** Trying to leave ASAP

Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM

114 posts, read 288,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgrl466 View Post
It is cold 9 months out of the year here. This year. ( 2010 ) It snowed well into April. I suggest not Boise. We have a horrrible governer. Its a slave wage state. Nothing really to do. Bad school system. VERY HIGH dropout rate.

** Trying to leave ASAP
and there was a dusting with serious cold front about Thanksgiving week.....hmmmmm thats about 7 months in between. 12-7=9 bad months????...that doesn't look right. SOUR GRAPES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area