Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:20 PM

500 posts, read 584,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I only read about 10 sentences in this whole thread. But read enough to know there's no need for me to get involved.

Here's the bottom line. Anytime a thread say I'm from here and what is it like there, you might as well ignore the post. Always leads to trouble.

It's like someone else posted in another thread. If you don't like it where you are, you probably wan't like it here. If you like it where you are, you will probably like it here.
Last line is not exactly correct. I'm no longer fond of where I am. It has changed way too much for my tastes. The spouse agrees and he is a "Bama Boy" and ready to "get away from people", so to speak. We are both Southern to the core with deep Southern roots in Alabama and other Southern states. I'm tired of being in that super crowded city that is more diverse than many cities in this nation. What, with an elementary school in my suburb that has families with 80 different native languages. Then let's talk about my accent. Yes, it is Southern and get me in Bama and it goes right back to the way I grew up. My accent is no longer normal to where we live. Hence, why I'm ready to tell this place that is my birthplace to kiss my backside and to take me back to my roots. Where people don't think you are about to rob them or you are mentally unstable if you speak to them in the grocery store.

We have a kid at UA. Grew up a Bama fan and was the only place considered. The other kiddo is looking at other schools in the South. UA gave this one the nod as well, but older sibling there and does not want to follow in the same footsteps. Looks like I may be Rolling with The Tide while drinking my Hotty Toddy next year.
FYI, we do not call it UAT

When we are in Tuscaloosa or Bham, we love it. We have looked at moving to outside of Tuscaloosa near the lake, which might be a better option for the OP and have also looked in Mountain Brook. I don't give a rats ass what someone thinks of me, where I live, what cars I drive or anything. I live my life, I have my friends and I take care of my business. If the neighbors need help, I'm there. We also go to church . We have owned property already in Tuscaloosa for several years due to being Bama fans. Kid does not get in state tuition, still lower than our in state flagship and getting a top notch education and an helluva time with football.

As for gun ownership. Let me just say, you will never know if "mama packing" or not and same goes for my kids. Kid that is at UA does have a handgun and shotgun. Lives off campus. No guns allowed on campus. If kid was so much as going to shoot some clays and was stopped by the UAPD and searched vehicle and found a firearm, kid could be suspended. Lots of students that attend UA own guns, just don't have them on campus in their dorm room or their room in their fraternity or sorority house. Yes, my kid is Greek.
Alabama has some weird gun laws as far as age restrictions. A 19 year old can not buy a gun but they can carry. There is a guy that has gun classes and part owner of a local target club in Tuscaloos that kid took a class from that was very informative. He's out in Coker.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't give a flying flip where someone is from. The hitch comes when someone moves to a place because they don't like where they were then try to change the new place to be like their former home. Just, NO! Don't want to go off into politics..... but a good example would be Chicago, all of Illinois and Michigan. If you left those places because of the messed up, screwed up systems there, don't vote the same way in your new place.

Sounds like the OP is not one to come in and try and change everything. Sounds to me like they would fit right in as they are more of the live and let live kind. Thinking that up around Lake Tuscaloosa, Lake Nicol might be somewhere that might interest them. Or out west of Ttown in the area of Coker, AL

Whichever, best of luck and it sounds like the OP's daughter will love Alabama and so will their son. I love the idea of the OP researching the incubators that UA has going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 PM

500 posts, read 584,055 times
Let's discuss the dining options in Tuscaloosa.
YUM! If I lived there 365, I'd weigh 365lbs. HAHAHAHAHA
Except, I'd be walking the riverwalk daily.

This past week we dined at two new places and both were fantastic.
Tuscaloosa has some great dining options!

301 Bistro, LOVED! The drinks, the food, the atmosphere, all excelent. All 3 dishes were really well prepared and the handcrafted drinks were very tasty.

The Levee, heard the owners were former employees of Cypress Inn. We had a large group of 15 dining that night and everyone said their meal was very good and they would be back. I had the petite filet, very good. Spouse had the fried catfish and said it was done well. View is nice.

Cypress Inn. Did not go on this trip. Some people love it, some are eh and say they won't go back. We have had good experiences each time we have been there. Great view!

Nicks in the Sticks. This is a MUST! The $10 filet and a Nicodemous to sip on while waiting. Go early! It is "in the sticks" sorta, it is small, very small. Menu is short and sweet.

Five. Been here more times than I can count. Sometimes because other places are closed or we can get in here sooner. Food is always good. Menu is 5 appetizers, 5 main courses, 5 wines, etc. All very fresh. Sunday Brunch is a must here at least once.

Sweet Home Food Bar. Have only been for brunch and it was very good. They are one of the only places that abides by the Alabama laws for serving alcohol on Sundays. No mimosa till after 12.

Archibald's for BBQ. The one that is a shack. Don't wear any clothes you don't mind getting messy while eating some ribs. Like it better than Dreamland.

Dreamland. We have only been to the original. It is good BBQ, give ya that. It is good. There is a larger location next door to The Levee that has a wider menu selection.

Jim n Nicks. Good BBQ, more "polished" atmosphere. Still good. Gotta have some cheddar biscuits.

DePalma's. Only Italian place in town that is "upscale". Does not take reservations. I've liked it when we have gone. But, I do not do a pasta dish. The pork tenderloin was really good.

Chuck's Fish. Have not made it here but the kid loves it.

Innisphree. Been 3 times and will not go back. Service sucked! Kids all love it but they like it more for the bar atmosphere.

Side by Side. Have not made it here yet. Fine dining. They are a partnership with the UA Hospitality department. Everyone that I know that has dined here loved it.

Full Moon BBQ. Good bbq that is fast service. Glutten free menu

Miss Dot's is very popular. Kid likes it a lot. All chicken, southern type menu. This is where Luke Bryan did an impromtu gig this past Monday afternoon while in Tuscaloosa with his neice touring UA.

Iguana Grill, in midtown. Mexican. Not bad.

Chuy's. Tex Mex heaven! Opened this past fall. Also has a location in Bham at The Summit. We have them here in Texas, where they are from. Love Chuy's. So does the kid as it appears on the monnthly statement often, as does Innisphree, lol.

Moe's BBQ on Univesity downtown Ttown. Kid says the BBQ is really good. However, after like 9:00pm it is a bar. Kids hangout, I swear it is based on monthly statement.

Steel City Pops. You have to! You just do! Try fun flavors!

Buffalo Phil's on the strip in Ttown. Good burgers and sandwiches. Always packed. Good go-to for a quick lunch and a drink.

Speaking of drinking. Tuscaloosa, rather UA is a drinking school with a football problem
Lots of local micro brews. My favorite is out of Gadsden, Back Forty Brewery's Truck Stop Honey. The Black Warrior Brewery on University is a good hangout to have a couple local brews. Almost all of the local dining places carry local brews.

Mellow Mushroom, it's a chain but the pizza is good. Nice bar setting as well.

Avenue Pub & Grill. Really like this place. Their Thai nachos are really good as are the burgers. They have live music almost nightly. It's small but worth a visit. They make a drink called a Berry Bash. MMMMM, YUM!

There is a new chophouse in town as well. Went in where Tin Top was in the small strip right behind University downtown. There are some other local places and bars in that little strip.

All of these places and the bars, clubs, big name artists that hit Ttown, etc are one reason my kid wanted UA and loves it. Kid had been there for games and knew it was the place to be. I feel the same. It's my "home sweet home" even though I have a small condo there, it feels like home and why I insisted our place had to be close to campus, the stadium, the strip and downtown. I love that I am less than a mile from all of these places.

ROLL TIDE

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
On establishing residency - it's possible, but may take a while. I've just read discussion on the U of Alabama Facebook page, where a son finally did establish residency but it took until his junior year. His parents lived out of state. He was living in an apartment and had been for 1+ years, his car was registered in Alabama under his name with insurance from an Alabama agency, he had not visited home for a year and a half, he was over 19, registered to vote in state, and he had held a part time job in Tuscaloosa (for UA, though) for about a year and a half.
Parent(s) actually moving to Alabama, it may also take a while to establish residency after your daughter has matriculated at UA.

Have you visited campus yet? You can probably ask this question on your visit.A visit is also a great way to help you and your daughter make a final decision.
Frankly, I would get more than one answer on the residence question, and from more than one school official. The Office of the University Registrar determines this.

A quick search on the university's website yielded these:
http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/res...ency-nutshell/

http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/residency/

http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/res...dency-tuition/

It's a start. Good luck, and Roll Tide!

Last edited by Southlander; 04-23-2016 at 09:26 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,598 times
I moved 3 months ago from my appartmt and the landlord suing me for $6000 rent and damages($3000 rent and 3000 damaged) . i have photos and video showing the damage of the apartment as leaking roof, broken kitchen cabinets and he never fixed them, can i use them to defend my self. it is possible he win the case even we never signed a contract or lease. Thank you

Old 04-24-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by be526096 View Post
I moved 3 months ago from my appartmt and the landlord suing me for $6000 rent and damages($3000 rent and 3000 damaged) . i have photos and video showing the damage of the apartment as leaking roof, broken kitchen cabinets and he never fixed them, can i use them to defend my self. it is possible he win the case even we never signed a contract or lease. Thank you
I think you need to make a new thread.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:49 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,428,694 times
I'm a native CA boy. Grew up in Sacramento, spent a fair amount of time in San Jose before moving to Mesa, AZ. Now I was probably a tad more conservative than my Bay Area friends, but was liberal with my AZ co-workers.

Moved to Anniston, AL for about three years and I am glad I had AZ as a stepping-stone for culture shock.

Anniston had a 'Carpets For Christ' flooring store. In CA, Christians might have the little Christ-fish symbol on a business card; AL cards have the whole bible verse. Two times strangers would ask if I was new in town and if I belonged to a church yet, then invite me to theirs......stuff I was not used to.

As for fitting in, I can't say how well you will do as I try to avoid people as much as I can. Wife did have some issues at work because she wasn't part of a clique, but that was her.

In any event, the only reason I am posting is for my choices in AL BBQ:

Jacksonville, AL - Cooter Browns. One of the few reasons I would set foot back in AL. Try it without sauce first - the rub is amazing (do not buy the rub from them, though. It's not the same.)
Welcome | Cooter Brown's Rib Shack | Jacksonville, Alabama

Anniston, AL - Dad's BBQ. Completely different experience. Wife didn't care for it as much, but it was a nice change of pace from Cooter's every now and again.
Dad's Bar-b-que menu - Anniston, AL 36201 - (256) 238-4323

It's been four years since I've been there, so things may change.

As a day trip, Gadsden has a nice park with a waterfall. Forget the name....

Old 04-27-2016, 06:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
Anniston is not entirely and conclusively representative of life all over Alabama and especially not what can typically be experienced in Birmingham.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,776,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
As a day trip, Gadsden has a nice park with a waterfall. Forget the name....
Noccalula Falls

Old 04-29-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Two times strangers would ask if I was new in town and if I belonged to a church yet, then invite me to theirs......stuff I was not used to.
The HORROR! How dare they?!

Old 04-29-2016, 11:34 PM

64 posts, read 79,548 times
Hi all. I've been busy with work and just checked in. Thanks for the additional input. Much appreciated. We signed up for orientation in July. Agreed to go to college in AL without ever visiting. Most people think that is nuts. but life is an adventure, and all the Indians at my work have traveled a much larger distance to begin their dreams. We went with the 2nd half football tickets so she can experience some real football weather. They go on sale in June I think. this machine I hear of seems totally cool. Boston is quite parochial like that, with many secret societies and private clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area