Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 04:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,303,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
I totally agree, many of these neighborhoods are gems that aren't being utilized to their full potential(Roebuck, Crestwood, and Glen Iris come to mind especially) and if the city wants to attract and retain more residents these are the areas that will have to do just that. I think this will work as well for the biggest neighborhoods in town as well. I think that the city has gotten on the right track and has discovered a template that can work (Avondale, Norwood to a lesser degree) for appreciating home values and overall quality of life in a neighborhood without having to displace residents. I'll be watching to see if the city gets aggressive with investing in itself.
Curious what more you think could be done in Crestwood. I'd wager it's currently one of the most desirable neighborhoods inside city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 04:45 PM

380 posts, read 350,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Curious what more you think could be done in Crestwood. I'd wager it's currently one of the most desirable neighborhoods inside city limits.
I want to see the complete streets program in Crestwood too. I think Crestwood, Roebuck and Glen Iris especially would benefit significantly from the improved streetscapes. Improved lighting, more pedestrian friendly, bike lanes, widened sidewalks, and improved storm water management. Bike lanes and more pedestrian friendly usually signals a healthier and more connected neighborhood. I certainly agree that Crestwood is one of the top tier city neighborhoods and does very well with landscaping and doesn't really need the improved street parking that Avondale does since it is much more residential and suburban looking by comparison. I think that the quality of life can elevate even further and will be yet more attractive with these improvements. Crestwood is a step ahead of Roebuck and Glen Iris in my opinion but investment in these areas has the potential to push them to the next level.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:19 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,512,834 times
Quote:
I totally agree, many of these neighborhoods are gems that aren't being utilized to their full potential(Roebuck, Crestwood, and Glen Iris come to mind especially) and if the city wants to attract and retain more residents these are the areas that will have to do just that. I think this will work as well for the biggest neighborhoods in town as well. I think that the city has gotten on the right track and has discovered a template that can work (Avondale, Norwood to a lesser degree) for appreciating home values and overall quality of life in a neighborhood without having to displace residents. I'll be watching to see if the city gets aggressive with investing in itself.
I've been saying for months now that the city leadership sleeps on the available option of implementing state authorized statute to allow a tax increment finance (TIF) district designation over several neighborhoods. Huntsville has done this several times and turned meagerly dilapidated areas into areas of significant investment. The state TIF law sole existence is because of the need for one to cover the Birmingham City Center back in 2000. Until the city implements more TIFs throughout rather than the lone one today, other areas are going to continue to be lacking on the major revitalization front. I've told those with influence within Birmingham City Hall this repeatedly since the summer, so they should heed that advice.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I want to see the complete streets program in Crestwood too. I think Crestwood, Roebuck and Glen Iris especially would benefit significantly from the improved streetscapes. Improved lighting, more pedestrian friendly, bike lanes, widened sidewalks, and improved storm water management. Bike lanes and more pedestrian friendly usually signals a healthier and more connected neighborhood. I certainly agree that Crestwood is one of the top tier city neighborhoods and does very well with landscaping and doesn't really need the improved street parking that Avondale does since it is much more residential and suburban looking by comparison. I think that the quality of life can elevate even further and will be yet more attractive with these improvements. Crestwood is a step ahead of Roebuck and Glen Iris in my opinion but investment in these areas has the potential to push them to the next level.
I agree Crestwood and Glen Iris are presently lacking on the multimodal infrastructure. Crestwood Boulevard, for example, needs sidewalk and dedicated bicycle infrastructure along the corridor from 5th Avenue South split to Irondale (and that neighboring jurisdiction should take into the available CMAQ funds from the RPCGB to continue the infrastructure all the way to Kilgore Memorial Drive). Birmingham could do an entire makeover the major arterials and collectors through the (formerly known as Eastwood) Crestwood commercial district where Oporto Madrid Boulevard, Crestwood Boulevard, Montclair Road, and Montevallo Road intersect. Those superblocks could be broken up so that the area becomes more mixed-use and pedestrian-friendly in nature. Similar initiatives should be implemented along 1st Avenue North/Gadsden Highway/Parkway East (both the US 11 segment and AL 75 segments). Throughout Glen Iris along several corridors connecting the neighborhood to George Ward Park and the existing bicycle lane and sidewalks along Greensprings Highway.

Hopefully, with the newly minted Birmingham DOT led by former UAB campus planning and design director, James Fowler, these initiatives will become priorities because the city must embrace alternative modes of infrastructure if it wants to become a global economic player that attracts and retain talent from other places.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:36 AM

306 posts, read 343,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I agree Crestwood and Glen Iris are presently lacking on the multimodal infrastructure. Crestwood Boulevard, for example, needs sidewalk and dedicated bicycle infrastructure along the corridor from 5th Avenue South split to Irondale (and that neighboring jurisdiction should take into the available CMAQ funds from the RPCGB to continue the infrastructure all the way to Kilgore Memorial Drive). Birmingham could do an entire makeover the major arterials and collectors through the (formerly known as Eastwood) Crestwood commercial district where Oporto Madrid Boulevard, Crestwood Boulevard, Montclair Road, and Montevallo Road intersect. Those superblocks could be broken up so that the area becomes more mixed-use and pedestrian-friendly in nature. Similar initiatives should be implemented along 1st Avenue North/Gadsden Highway/Parkway East (both the US 11 segment and AL 75 segments). Throughout Glen Iris along several corridors connecting the neighborhood to George Ward Park and the existing bicycle lane and sidewalks along Greensprings Highway.

Hopefully, with the newly minted Birmingham DOT led by former UAB campus planning and design director, James Fowler, these initiatives will become priorities because the city must embrace alternative modes of infrastructure if it wants to become a global economic player that attracts and retain talent from other places.
This!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:24 AM

I don't know if it has been covered or not but the 1,000+ job announcement coming soon will be related to the Jefferson Metropolitan Park-McCalla campus. The Jefferson County Commission voted to rezone several acres of land last week within the McCalla district.

Last edited by jero23; 10-25-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,303,962 times
Good points about Crestwood Boulevard. I think 56th Street in Crestwood is also a good candidate.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM

477 posts, read 361,721 times
Quote:
I don't know if it has been covered or not but the 1,000+ job announcement coming soon will be related to the Jefferson Metropolitan Park-McCalla campus. The Jefferson County Commission voted to rezone several acres of land last week within the McCalla district.
That would be great news. I saw a 75 acre site in Trussville got an EDPA AdvantageSite designation today so maybe it'll be on the radar of an industrial employer as well.

Anyone heard an update on Birmingham's bid to get the two USDA division HQ's to move here from DC? I'm for all job growth, but getting office/professional job growth is critical for downtown.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I've been saying for months now that the city leadership sleeps on the available option of implementing state authorized statute to allow a tax increment finance (TIF) district designation over several neighborhoods. Huntsville has done this several times and turned meagerly dilapidated areas into areas of significant investment. The state TIF law sole existence is because of the need for one to cover the Birmingham City Center back in 2000. Until the city implements more TIFs throughout rather than the lone one today, other areas are going to continue to be lacking on the major revitalization front. I've told those with influence within Birmingham City Hall this repeatedly since the summer, so they should heed that advice.
I agree and I recall us discussing the (TIF) option for neighborhood development previously. I can think of at least 5 community sectors that the city needs to utilize the (TIF) designation. I have yet to see any movement on them but I sincerely hope that someone in city government is listening. Seeing it transform the railroad reservation to the up and coming Parkside neighborhood makes this a no brainer and a head scratcher as to why the city hasn't become more aggressive in further developing these areas.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Absolutely! This breakdown of specific arterial and heavily trafficked corridors in Crestwood, Roebuck, and Glen Iris is spot on for areas that can benefit a lot right now from improved infrastructure. I absolutely would love to see those superblocks (Crestwood, Roebuck) broken up and bring in more of a mixed use and pedestrian friendly nature. I think it would add to the urban character of the neighborhoods go a long way in making these neighborhoods real smart growth areas. I could easily see all three areas having an influx of commercial and retail (restaurants, big box retail etc) as well as resident growth with these improvements. As you mentioned if the city wants to retain more residents and increase residential growth by attracting people from outside into the city in a real way it must prioritize these areas as current and future growth areas and embrace smart growth infrastructure improvements. I would love to see the the big neighborhoods(East Lake, Woodlawn, Ensley, West End) get this multimodal infrastructure too at some point when it becomes economically feasible, would go a long way to improving quality of life.

Last edited by cherokee48; 10-25-2018 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area