Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 04:16 PM

522 posts, read 855,599 times

Advertisements

Some positive news on our Fortune 500 baby!

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ves-up-on.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 04:21 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,919,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Some positive news on our Fortune 500 baby!

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ves-up-on.html
Good news for Vulcan Materials and HealthSouth moving up a ~100 and 200 spots respectfully. Maybe they can both break into the top 500 in a few years if they can keep up that kind of pace.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,588,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
the place truly is a wonderful minor league ballpark. The whole experience, from the park that neighbors it, to the new residences outside of it, is a great family experience. LOVE LOVE LOVE going to games there, and wish they had moved to downtown years ago.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:37 PM

"It's nice to have you in Birmingham."
[vimeo]171646269[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/171646269

Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,682,456 times
Wow. Just, wow! I had no idea B'ham had all this going on. I'm looking forward to my visit next month a lot more now! Thanks for all the posts here!

Old 07-16-2016, 06:15 PM

Tune in to FOX for boxing at Legacy arena in downtown Birmingham Alabama. The undercard is getting underway and Deontay Wilder will defend his title later on tonight.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 AM

It indeed looked like a big crowd. I hope the champ has a speedy recovery.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...irmingham.html

Quote:
Nearly 12,000 boxing fans attended Deontay Wilder's WBC heavyweight title defense on Saturday at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex's Legacy Arena - the highest attendance mark yet for a Wilder fight in the Magic City.
Wilder defeated challenger Chris Arreola in eight rounds by technical knockout. According to fight officials, attendance was set at 11,974 - a significant jump from Wilder's last fight in Birmingham, which drew around 8,500. Wilder brought 9,347 to UAB's Bartow Arena for an earlier title defense against Eric Molina.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 AM

Last weekend was a big hit with thousands coming to the city for the Wilder fight and Slossfest...this weekend (and following week) it will be gospel singers.

Birmingham hosts up to 10,000 gospel singers for week-long convention at BJCC | AL.com

Quote:
"We're expecting from 7,500 to 10,000 singers from all over the country, from Japan, the United Kingdom and the Bahamas."
The convention runs from July 23-29. On Saturday at noon, the convention will have its annual Serve Day at the BJCC North Exhibition Hall, connecting with local charities to distribute food and clothes and conduct a health clinic. Birmingham choirs will present a welcome program Saturday night at 6 p.m.
Concerts happen nightly at 6:30 p.m. in the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel ballroom.
"They perform every night," Gaffney said. "During the daytime there are classes on just about anything in music: voice, piano, organ, percussion, the music industry, computers and music."
Classes will be held in various meeting areas around the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex.

This is the first time Birmingham has hosted the annual convention, which moves around to different cities each year.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:03 PM

213 posts, read 406,588 times
If "cool news" is good news then here's another item.

Portland State University recently published an in-depth study of the migration patterns of young college educated (YCE) people in the top 50 metro areas, using the periods 2008-2010 and 2012-2014. Based on the positive data for our city, it named Birmingham a "turnaround metro".

Here is a link to John Archibald's somewhat plaintive column which cites this study (the column contains a link to the study itself for those who are interested):

Birmingham named 'turnaround metro,' but now what? | AL.com

The PSU study states that overall Birmingham had a 20.6% growth rate in the desirable YCE demographic. Archibald says that during 2008-2010 Birmingham was losing these people, but by 2012-2014 the situation had reversed, and there was a net gain of 1,206 such individuals (not sure where John got that figure as I could not find it directly in the study, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking for it).

Nonetheless, this may represent a significant turning point in Birmingham's current evolution forward, where we are now gaining YCE's rather than losing them.

Now let's hope there will be enough good jobs in Birmingham to assure that this continues well into the future. And I mean well paying, professional type jobs (IT, STEM-related, medical technology and research, banking and finance, insurance, etc. etc. etc.) that will make young educated people want to be in Birmingham. Because they can build solid, lucrative careers here that have a bright future.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:20 PM

522 posts, read 855,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
If "cool news" is good news then here's another item.

Portland State University recently published an in-depth study of the migration patterns of young college educated (YCE) people in the top 50 metro areas, using the periods 2008-2010 and 2012-2014. Based on the positive data for our city, it named Birmingham a "turnaround metro".

Here is a link to John Archibald's somewhat plaintive column which cites this study (the column contains a link to the study itself for those who are interested):

Birmingham named 'turnaround metro,' but now what? | AL.com

The PSU study states that overall Birmingham had a 20.6% growth rate in the desirable YCE demographic. Archibald says that during 2008-2010 Birmingham was losing these people, but by 2012-2014 the situation had reversed, and there was a net gain of 1,206 such individuals (not sure where John got that figure as I could not find it directly in the study, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking for it).

Nonetheless, this may represent a significant turning point in Birmingham's current evolution forward, where we are now gaining YCE's rather than losing them.

Now let's hope there will be enough good jobs in Birmingham to assure that this continues well into the future. And I mean well paying, professional type jobs (IT, STEM-related, medical technology and research, banking and finance, insurance, etc. etc. etc.) that will make young educated people want to be in Birmingham. Because they can build solid, lucrative careers here that have a bright future.
Good find! Oxford Pharmaceutical's is one of the places, where YP could find a career I believe and they have recently opened. I believe that will add more jobs to what they already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area