Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Them being one-sided is a fact.
I didn't think the LSU game was put away until Richardson scored the game's only touchdown late in the 2nd half. Up until that point LSU was very much in it and could have come back or been with in striking distance with just one touchdown.

So no. Not a fact.

Notre Dame got a beat badly but even in that game they had their missed oppotunities and a call or two that could have gone their way. It was one sided but still very entertaining for me and I'm sure a few other people around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I don't disagree with what you say regarding the snob viewpoint. But I think you shouldn't underestimate the energy, atmosphere, and even influence on people's lives here. I live my life half the time in a UAB bubble and its still around. My mentioning of bumper stickers and such is more meant as an indicator rather than just that the decorations here might be a little different.
I don't underestimate it. I just recognize the fact that it is big only because there are no other teams to dilute what is a state wide phenomenoa. People who cheer for a&m, state, Troy mostly still pick a side. I did not mean the comment about seeing flags and bumper stickers all year round as a direct response to you. LCT mentioned earlier she saw flags during the off season as if that shouldn't be happening and that people don't cheer for other sports.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
I guess I have 2 points:
(1) college football is extremely dominant here. Many other places don't have any single sport having such a dominance (i.e. some like pro football, some college football, some pro basketball, some hockey, etc...)
(2) college football is more dominant in social life here than all sports put together in many other places. Sports, as a whole, just don't dominate the social life as much in some place

Again, no judgement, just my view.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
We're Alabama fans but we don't really get that involved, and the trash talk is just so much mindless babble from either side. The Toomer's Corner tree poisoning at Auburn was just senseless and inexcusable.

We love when an Alabama or Auburn game is televised because that means all the restaurants without TVs are empty.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:06 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
One thing I've noticed since I moved to Alabama is that while Alabama-Auburn is more or less pretty well split down the middle among white folks, it's overwhelmingly pro-Auburn for African-Americans. What's up with that?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 AM

522 posts, read 847,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
One thing I've noticed since I moved to Alabama is that while Alabama-Auburn is more or less pretty well split down the middle among white folks, it's overwhelmingly pro-Auburn for African-Americans. What's up with that?
I have never seen this before. It has always seemed pretty much equal to me.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
I haven't noticed that.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I think it is because the image of George Wallace on the steps of Foster Auditorium is still a very poignant image for many blacks. AU is considered to be more open and accepting of minorities. It is also a misconception that UA never starts or recruits black QBs and that Auburn does. Although this isn't true I think this is why more blacks tend to pull for AU.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think it is because the image of George Wallace on the steps of Foster Auditorium is still a very poignant image for many blacks. AU is considered to be more open and accepting of minorities. It is also a misconception that UA never starts or recruits black QBs and that Auburn does. Although this isn't true I think this is why more blacks tend to pull for AU.
The first part was my line of thinking as well, I wasn't sure if I was off-base for thinking that since it's been decades since Alabama (and every other school, for that matter) integrated, but I'm sure for many (especially the older folks), the scars still remain.

And you're right, both schools have reputations for starting certain types of quarterbacks (though Sims - a black QB at Bama - is currently pencilled in to start this fall, but will most likely at least be seriously pushed by incoming transfer Coker) , but that's just the system each school runs. For some time now, throwing ability has been somewhat de-emphasized in lieu of scrambling ability, and that's starting to even trickle into the NFL. Alabama still uses the tried-and-true pro-style offense, whereas Auburn uses a fast-paced spread.

And on multiple occasions, I've heard black fans (presumably Auburn fans) talking about how Bama rarely plays black QBs so that's probably a big reason why they're very much pro-AU. And don't forget, while AU doesn't crank out the same number of NFL players that Bama does (but they're not *too* far behind), they tend to hold up much better in the Show. Bama players rarely can hack it in the NFL. Hell, Iowa (my team) does a better job of putting out productive NFL players than Alabama (Dallas Clark, Chad Greenway, Bob Sanders, just to name a few).

Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM

I was with you until:
"Bama players rarely can hack it in the NFL."

That's just fan biased BS. You're going to have to point to some sort of reliable source but I know there's not one unless you cherry pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area