Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well we thought it was a nice store. Good layout and pleasant atmosphere. I read somewhere else that the refurb job being done on the RG has swelled over 100 mil. Looks good so far. Im glad this will make Belk and other stores bring their A game.
Also, the owner of the mall said that there will be some new restaurants coming.

I think that is very important. In my opinion, I think the sports bar and Olive Garden should be replaced by restaurants that are not found in just any neighborhood. Maggiano's being on the top of my list. (and I have told them so)
I know OG does big business, but it would go well in the perpetually empty former Italian place at Patton Creek. (A great location with the new Chapel Lane opening up at TG, making a whole new way to avoid HWY150 or 31)

Of course he may have meant inside the mall, but I personally hope they are going to replace some things or take a little parking area on the north end near CPK.

I would like to see JAlexander and Bonefish Grill continue as I am sure they will. I wish some of the auto places were gone.

Too bad they don't call me every time they plan a change. lol

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I agree. The two or three auto places are not a good fit. Im not too crazy about the fedex office either. I think all the outparcels should be upscale restaurants.

im guessing the place that took over after carrinos is gone too? Maybe the new flyover will bring more traffic to that corner.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I agree. The two or three auto places are not a good fit. Im not too crazy about the fedex office either. I think all the outparcels should be upscale restaurants.

im guessing the place that took over after carrinos is gone too? Maybe the new flyover will bring more traffic to that corner.

Yes, Carinos/Creekside is gone. Creekside got one of the worst opening week reviews I have ever read. I almost tried it twice some months later and just was too hungry to risk it. LOL

The new flyunder is going to work really well for me when not coming from 280.

For the next three years the Galleria is entering a period of many leases coming to an end. Inside and out. They are positioned well to continue to drive this place upward. It is well known in real estate now that just being a hangout is sure death sooner than later. It may look busy but bags in hand tell the story.

There is nothing wrong with some of the places, it's just that if you can go to them in a promenade it seems a little out of place in a commercial center with two skyscrapers.

Stix and the Sports Bar are both at the promenade in Fultondale which seems good and appropriate. I think when one goes to the top three commercial centers in a city one expects something a little more special and unique.
Like Bhamguy had pointed out a lot of places have gentrified themselves out of here and it is time to move to the next level. The Summit and Brookwood Village have both proven that the better national chains do well here, so I am waiting for Maggiano's and a couple more.

raj

aside; the new road also opens up a piece of property next to Rooms to Go that could be a very good restaurant location. That lot and RtoG were where THE EMBASSEY was originally planned. It would have continued a more urban theme in that area. Not to mention visibility. I am sorry they joined hotel row along Hawkins Pky.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 11-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: to add

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Visited this store on Tuesday night. I was soooo impressed. What a class run operation they have. It's not that it's better than Belk, because both have some nice stuff and nice people working there. It's that it's a better shopping experience than the NORDSTROM's I've been to in my life. Employees are absolutely there to serve and it's awesome. I was telling them thank you for the efforts, while we looked and they offered to assist. When we did make a shoe purchase, that experience was just as good as any I've had. I will be back, and I'm spreading the word now: go to Von Maur!

As a follow-up, the entire shopping mall seems better, brighter, and has good people working in it. I hadn't been in a while, say 6 months or so, and I was impressed with the improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area