Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times

Advertisements

Now that I have gone back & reread your entire post here, I'd say that you are the one with the bashing complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Now that I have gone back & reread your entire post here, I'd say that you are the one with the bashing complex.
Actually, your reading comprehension needs work. I wasn't bashing Atlanta. I said that I supposed I could devote time to listing Atlanta's problems, but I really don't feel the need to do so. What's more, I wasn't even referring to you. There have been several Atlanta posters on this forum who show up here a good deal and do those things. The post I was referring to in my discussion was the ridiculous, over-the-top one earlier comparing the entire population of Birmingham today to post-Nazi Germany.

And, to be honest with you, I never visit the Atlanta threads. Not once. I just don't feel a need do so. Can we stop with the shrill nonsense now?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickyb View Post
A half century i.e. only 50 years ago is not long enough to diminish the atrocities committed in Birmingham (bombings, killings, segregation, George Ward Park activities, etc), or assassinations of prominent people like King in Memphis,. Cities like Bham and Memphis will be plagued by their own bad histories for a very very long time. Nor should other people forget these things. If you don't learn from history's mistakes, we shall repeat them ! but cities like Bham and Memphis try to pretend they have rocketed past their own PASTS !!, or worse yet , try to pretend to others, like outsiders, new businesses etc etc, that all these real ills have been eradicated or magically have disappeared on their own- WRONG, they have not, and any person visiting or moving to a Bham or a Memphis, can see it for themselves ! nobody is that blind, and it's good to teach history, no matter how grim or negative - why do you think the television is constantly engaged in telling stories, through movies, specials etc about NAZIs in Germany and how they also eliminated JEWS ? Nope, we haven't gotten past a measley 50 year old societal trauma - not by a longshot.
Birmingham is no longer the Birmingham of the 50's or 60's anymore. It's good to continue teach the history in order not to repeat it. The generations that were born after the Jim Crowe era have no idea what it's like living during that time. No matter where you live in the world there is going to be discrimination even outside the country but that doesn't mean everyone is like that.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM

As for reading comprehension needing work, if you weren't referring to me then why did you cut & paste part of what I wrote & include it in your diatribe that imediately followed my post here? That right there in and of itself looked like a direct reference back to me.
And furthermore on that reading comprehension thing, I never have listed any of the possible faults of Birmingham but you started a short list of those of Atlanta. You can't misreperent what you wrote here as it's all in black & white print.
And finally, in the first place I heard the NPR story, the original topic of the thread, on the radio & saw it listed among the newly updated thread topics in the state by state forum heading this morning so I went to the thread to see what sort of input was there. I don't see why I should need to get clearance to visit the thread or have have to justify why I was at the thread. I don't care if it was a Birminghma NPR story or a Fairfield, Ct. story. If I heard it on NPR and found it interesting I have every right to follow-up the story.
I don't & didn't ever care to get into a tit for tat listing of Birmingham's or Atlanta's faults.
You can characterize me as shrill because I defended my self but you cut & pasted from me & then tried to claim that you were not referring to me. That doesn't hold water.
I was unfairly attacked here & do not appreciate it at all.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
As for reading comprehension needing work, if you weren't referring to me then why did you cut & paste part of what I wrote & include it in your diatribe that imediately followed my post here? That right there in and of itself looked like a direct reference back to me.
And furthermore on that reading comprehension thing, I never have listed any of the possible faults of Birmingham but you started a short list of those of Atlanta. You can't misreperent what you wrote here as it's all in black & white print.
And finally, in the first place I heard the NPR story, the original topic of the thread, on the radio & saw it listed among the newly updated thread topics in the state by state forum heading this morning so I went to the thread to see what sort of input was there. I don't see why I should need to get clearance to visit the thread or have have to justify why I was at the thread. I don't care if it was a Birminghma NPR story or a Fairfield, Ct. story. If I heard it on NPR and found it interesting I have every right to follow-up the story.
I don't & didn't ever care to get into a tit for tat listing of Birmingham's or Atlanta's faults.
You can characterize me as shrill because I defended my self but you cut & pasted from me & then tried to claim that you were not referring to me. That doesn't hold water.
I was unfairly attacked here & do not appreciate it at all.
Knock off the drama. I called you shrill because that's awfully apparent from the tone and content of your posts on this thread.

The reason I performed a cut-and-paste on your post was because you decided to weigh in with a bunch of nonsense on not dragging Atlanta into the issue. My response in that post was pretty clear: When an Atlanta poster, bickyb, decided to launch into his tirade comparing Birmingham to Nazi Germany, I simply made the point that Atlanta didn't have clean hands during the Civil Rights era and moved on. A rather mild and well-reasoned response, in my opinion. What's more, my discussion went on point out that, unlike the poster in question, I don't feel the need to visit the Atlanta board and enumerate that city's flaws, even though it would be easy enough to do. The problem is that you didn't bother to read the post to which I was referring, evidently thinking it's about you all the time.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM

I had no need to read the other post by the other person because I am only now concerned in how you very clearly attacked me with the cut & paste you did immediately after my post. You can't take back what is very clearly written by you on this thread. If you have issue with what bickyb wrote then take it up with him & cut & paste from him & don't cut & paste from me.
And yes, an attack on me does make it about me.
Raj Kapoor made 2 references to Atlanta in his post of last night that I took issue with & I had every right to do so & respond to them without you losing it here.
Furthermore, I have yet to say a single thing about Birmingham that could be construed as derogatory & you have at least twice now started in on Atlanta with a short list of it's faults or history.
You refuse to acknowledge the reason I gave as to why I visited the "NPR Birmingham story" thread in the first place & seem to think that I don't belong here.
So, what is your problem? You saw "Atlanta" at the heading of my post as my location & obviously saw "red" porbably as a result of your own insecurities. You are the one who created the drama here this morning with your over-the-top response to me at a perceived slight aimed at your city which I very clearly had not ever made!
Enough with the foolishness!

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM

302 posts, read 335,789 times

Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I had no need to read the other post by the other person because I am only now concerned in how you very clearly attacked me with the cut & paste you did immediately after my post. You can't take back what is very clearly written by you on this thread. If you have issue with what bickyb wrote then take it up with him & cut & paste from him & don't cut & paste from me.
And yes, an attack on me does make it about me.
Raj Kapoor made 2 references to Atlanta in his post of last night that I took issue with & I had every right to do so & respond to them without you losing it here.
Furthermore, I have yet to say a single thing about Birmingham that could be construed as derogatory & you have at least twice now started in on Atlanta with a short list of it's faults or history.
You refuse to acknowledge the reason I gave as to why I visited the "NPR Birmingham story" thread in the first place & seem to think that I don't belong here.
So, what is your problem? You saw "Atlanta" at the heading of my post as my location & obviously saw "red" porbably as a result of your own insecurities. You are the one who created the drama here this morning with your over-the-top response to me at a perceived slight aimed at your city which I very clearly had not ever made!
Enough with the foolishness!
No. It meant that you didn't bother to follow the train of thought on the thread and thought it was all about you. It clearly wasn't, given that it was about the bombthrower who visited the forum prior to you. Personally, by the time you had come along, the NPR story was pretty much old hat since we were dealing with a flamer on our hands. Sorry that we just didn't stop flogging the other poster to throw confetti in the air at your deathless insights, but we had moved on.

As far as my itemizing of Atlanta's faults, you obviously really do need to work on the reading comprehension. I said rather clearly that I could go over the Atlanta forum to stir the pot, but I chose not to and even pointed out that I have never, ever visited the Atlanta forum. Context matters. Why you can't grasp this is beyond me.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Dude, the bottom line is your little opening of, "Don't drag Atlanta into this" shows just how much of a homer some of you guys are. Like Atlanta is just too holy and chaste to be mentioned in a thread about a smaller city. There's always an Atlanta or Charlotte person handy to check in to one of our local threads to add some snarky uninformed put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area