Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times

Advertisements

Good evening everyone.I am considering
adopting a parrot from my job.We have no history on the bird.He is a congo african grey.Im no parrot expert but since i was in my teens i researched this parrot because i've always wanted one.Then this bird comes into my job and i have the oppurtunity.I know there are tons of toxic things and foods.I know teflon is very very very bad.My question is about my coffee pot.Do i have to move it to another room when i want to make coffee because i believe it is a "non stick" surface?Im also a smoker(please no negative comments) but i only have a few left and i am quitting.Should i thoroughly clean before bringing the bird home,if i decide to take him/her?Iwill not smoke around the bird,no way no how.Now,what about cleaning products?if i spray windex on the tv across the room will the bird get sick?I also have one more question about re painting a cage.He has a cage right now but it is definately not what i plan on keeping him in for long.Its kind of big but i don't think its completely appropriate for long term.A friend is going to give me a free cage but she said it needs to be sanded down(with those wire brushes) and repainted.What kind of paint do i get?Spray paint i would assume.I know it needs to air out for a week to be extra safe.I havent made it to the store yet to research.I did go to petco though and purchased some toys and treats because theres nothing in the cage now.He only came in a week ago and i know they need to be kept occupied if not handled.I just want to make sure i know everything i need to know in order to provide this bird with a great life.I'd really appreciate any input from fellow bird owners.Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Do you know this bird at all? Parrots usually like one sex or the other. If they do not like you they can do great damage if they bite you. Is it tame? Will it let you handle it? Will it come upon your hand? Make sure you feed it quality food and a varied diet including fresh veggies and some fruit each day. My African Grey used to love corn on the cob. It does need to be in clean surrounds. Keep in mind these birds are messy and can do great damage to anything they get their mouths on. You do not want them to be bored and want to offer different toys and things for them to shred and play with. Get a good book or two on these birds and read about them. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:50 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,872 times
Forget the refurbished cage...toss it, of no use whatsoever.

The coffee pot shouldn't be a problem. No bird however should be kept in or near a kitchen. At least one room away would be a good start.

You'll be the "mate". Seriously, you will be the primary focus of the bird's attention. They aren't solitary creatures by nature although sometimes they are by personal choice. You are all it has and no amount of toys will change that.

No strong smells, no candles, no incense, no smoke. If you must use strong cleaners then simply place the bird somewhere else until the scent moves on.

Out of cage time is essential. Living in a closet with bars doesn't appeal to you either does it? No open windows, curtains, hot stove tops, open water (toilet lids!). No roaming dogs or cats.

Buy a book or two and see if you have a nearby Parrot rescue society. They'll be happy to help.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times
Thank you so much for replying.I actually bought a book about greys while at petco.I read the whole thing.He was a little frightened (obviously) when he first came in but now when i stick my hand in the cage he goes on my finger.I know its common for them to bond to one person but hes let a few people handle him.He is plucking his feathers a little.But im hoping thats from the stress and boredom.He'll be going to the vet anyway.I was planning on keeping him in the living room,which is off the kitchen.I have pages of things that are toxic to the species and i plan on putting it on the fridge so every household member can see.Every free minute i get at work is to take him out.I figure ill try him and if i cant handle him id rehome him.But i know they get stressed very easily so.Every animal that entered my home so far hasnt left and they put me through hell sometimes.Now with the candles,can i burn them in a different room,or not at all?The book says they cant be around them at all but ive heard from people who own them they just dont burn them near the bird.Id rather be safe than sorry though.

Bazzwell,why do you say forget the refurbished cage?Just wondering.I hear mixed things.

There is also an amazon that came in with him.Red lored amazon i believe.Very tame.I wasnt sure about two birds though.Theyre currently in the same cage.They seem to get along fine.Theyre from the same home.The owners were evicted and have not contacted us and we cannot reach them at all.You'd think they'd want their birds back!Some people say they should stay together,while others say they'll be fine.Whats your opinion?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
Parrots are picky about who they like.
My daughter has one. She is an animal, bird lover, protector.
The bird loves her husband. He can do anything with this parrot.
It will sit on his shoulder and pick food out his mouth.
As much as my daughter loves and cares about this bird, it will not let her get close to it. It bites, attacks, etc.
It has never been mistreated. It is one of them African Grey things and several years old and it has been in the house for years. It ain't like it is in a new and strange enviornment.
It wont even let any of the kids around it.
It is strictly a one person bird.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Okay I own 6 parrot all of whom were rescues . If you do bring this bird home no smoking , no candles , no refurbished cages , get a new one . If you have to smoke I would suggest doing so outside . get a cage that has a playtop where the bird can be out of the cage for some time during the day to play and to explore . also keep all your sinks empty of water and also keep the lids down on the toliets . remove anything you might find harmfull for a child that is the best way to explain things concerning parrots . If i can be of any further help then please contact me in a private msg. good luck parrots are alot of fun . Also I wanted to mention something very important as well .
Make sure that you make provisions for this bird in case something should happen to you whom the bird would go to because birds live a long time and they are a lifetime commitment and have been known to outlive their owners .

Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
There is also an amazon that came in with him.Red lored amazon i believe.Very tame.I wasnt sure about two birds though.Theyre currently in the same cage.They seem to get along fine.Theyre from the same home.The owners were evicted and have not contacted us and we cannot reach them at all.You'd think they'd want their birds back!Some people say they should stay together,while others say they'll be fine.Whats your opinion?
Parrot ownership is far, far too complicated to go into here in detail. While I appreciate the good you're trying to do, it is not an easy road by any stretch of the imagination.

A) Be aware of what it's going to cost you to feed them properly.

B) Be aware of what any "exotic" vet bills are going to run you.

C) Be VERY aware of the vast amount of time, effort and energy they require to be looked after properly - and space. Space is a biggie. If you're house-proud and the constant supply of dander covering everything is going to bother you, think twice.

D) Be aware of the mental stimulation they require, the interaction they require - also things like UV light (which windows block out), and the constant supply of shreddable materials.

E) Be aware that all sorts of things you might once have been able to do in your house, you simply cannot - candles, aerosols, frying pans (surprised no one has mentioned this), etc. Teflon is lethal to parrots - you will not be able to use non-stick bakeware/cookware unless you can guarantee that no air from the kitchen will reach the parrot. (Non-stick gives off an odorless gas that isn't harmful to humans, but will kill a parrot faster than you can fry an egg.) Parrots do not have lungs - they have air sacs so there's a whole different set of rules.

On the issue of the two birds, it might be a lot more complex than you thought. If these parrots have been together for some time, and if they've bonded and they get separated you have going to be in for a rough time. Parrots mate for life. In captivity, a parrot will bond perhaps with a special person or another parrot (sex of other is not always the determining factor, no. Personality has far more to do with it.). Take the bonded pair away from one another and each will grieve. Unless handled appropriately, you can have serious behavioural issues develop.

Be very aware of the pros and cons of wing-clipping. It's not my place to tell you what to do, but it's something you need to consider and consider very, very carefully.

Is all this meant to scare you? Yes, to some degree. If you are going to go down the road, you need to start with your eyes open. Parrot ownership is just a lot of hard work. Extremely rewarding and like nothing else too - but it's not for everyone.

Put it like this: are you prepared to live for the next 20 or 30 years with a being that has the mental capacities of a five yr old and the emotional development of a two year old? It's just not something one should take on lightly.

Edited to add: NOISE. Do not underestimate the noise parrots can make. This is especially true if you live in anything other than in the middle of nowhere. Parrots make noise, and they make a lot of noise - their voices are designed to carry miles across a thick canopy of jungle. Think what that does in the suburbs.

I'm assuming these parrots are captive bred and are leg-banded?

Last edited by FiveHorses; 03-16-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Added thought.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post

Bazzwell,why do you say forget the refurbished cage?Just wondering.I hear mixed things.
An old cage that just needs a good scrubbing is one thing. Living quarters that need a total redo should simply be dumped.

A recent magazine article sums it up pretty well by simply saying that you should not paint areas your bird will come in contact with. Even the old standby Krylon suggests you not use their product for cage use. You'll be able to find a reasonably priced new home at your local pet store that will be far safer than anything you can rebuild.

Be honest with yourself about the actual cost of owning a Parrot, or any birds for that matter. They really can be quite expensive.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
An old cage that just needs a good scrubbing is one thing. Living quarters that need a total redo should simply be dumped.

A recent magazine article sums it up pretty well by simply saying that you should not paint areas your bird will come in contact with. Even the old standby Krylon suggests you not use their product for cage use. You'll be able to find a reasonably priced new home at your local pet store that will be far safer than anything you can rebuild.

Be honest with yourself about the actual cost of owning a Parrot, or any birds for that matter. They really can be quite expensive.
Tell me about that I have 6 and they run me about 100.00 a month in feed.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,058 times
Teflon - It is very bad, make sure that you are using newer teflon that isn't scratched (older will release more fumes) and the MOST important thing is to not let it overheat. We use normal non-stick cookware, but are not leaving anything on unattended. For the coffee pot, make sure it has a whistle or something in case you forget.

Smoking - Obviously you know not to smoke by the bird, but having a smoke "smell" to the home won't harm it. I smoke on the other side of the house, with a window or door open. (although, if you do quit you will probably want to clean anyways... going outside and making the inside smell good may help you quit! ) The bird isn't going to drop dead immediately if you smoke in the house, but think about longterm impacts on humans with second hand smoke, it is MUCH worse for birds. Also, make sure the bird can't get to your cigarettes/ashtrays to eat them.

Cleaning - Aerosols and pinesol-type scents are the worst, or any harsh bathroom cleaners. I clean using windex in the birds room, but have a window open and make sure she is far away from the mist. I use most products, but practice moderation and ventilation.

The Cage - Please get a new cage. Thing is, it's not just the scent, it's that most birds are chewers and THAT really will kill them.

Hidden costs/concerns - Make sure you find a bird boarder in the area that can watch the bird OUT of your home if needed. If you are painting, getting new carpet, etc. or are going out of town it's good to find one in advance. Usually they require specific tests/vaccinations. Make sure these are up-to-date in case of emergency boarding. Toys. Toys are expensive, you will need a lot of them. Also, go for natural or indestructible materials (avoid clothe, thread, or plastic the bird could eat). Table-top playsets or hanging perches are necessary to give the bird a place to hang out outside the cage.

Hope this helps, good luck with your new friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds