Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Agreed also
I utilized a sturdy stick at first with my Amazon until I was certain he wouldn't take a chunk from my arm, using the 'step-up' command while doing so. After a week or two of doing this, I offered my arm and gave the command and he had no troubles (and my arm was chunk-free )
That made me think of training our female to step up.... Problem is she only has one useable foot. That was interesting. I never used the stick and then stick/arm transition but I know that many do and are successful.

Oh ye gads! Perches. How could I forget perches?!

OP - please do not underestimate the importance of perches. I could write pages on the subject... but I'll spare everyone. Smooth, symmetrical round wood perches are a big, huge no-no. UBER bad for little tooties and can lead to painful pressure sores, wasted muscle, and later on, arthritis. There's a huge variety of good perches, so it's easy. Even better, some of the best perches are free if you have a parrot-safe tree (hard woods only, never anything like pine or any type of evergreen) that needs a bit of a trim.. They make excellent cotton rope, sisal rope, sandpaper covered wood, and formed concrete (heavy as heck) ones all with parrot foot health in mind.

Think about how important a parrot's feet are to them, to their general well-being, so they need looking after. Then you can teach them the "Let me see foots" trick .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:30 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
That made me think of training our female to step up.... Problem is she only has one useable foot. That was interesting. I never used the stick and then stick/arm transition but I know that many do and are successful.

Oh ye gads! Perches. How could I forget perches?!

OP - please do not underestimate the importance of perches. I could write pages on the subject... but I'll spare everyone. Smooth, symmetrical round wood perches are a big, huge no-no. UBER bad for little tooties and can lead to painful pressure sores, wasted muscle, and later on, arthritis. There's a huge variety of good perches, so it's easy. Even better, some of the best perches are free if you have a parrot-safe tree (hard woods only, never anything like pine or any type of evergreen) that needs a bit of a trim.. They make excellent cotton rope, sisal rope, sandpaper covered wood, and formed concrete (heavy as heck) ones all with parrot foot health in mind.

Think about how important a parrot's feet are to them, to their general well-being, so they need looking after. Then you can teach them the "Let me see foots" trick .....
That is true... my bird got foot sores, but mostly because she's stubborn and will sit on only one perch in the cage even though there are about 7 different ones. However, now that she flies that is no longer such a problem, when she's out she prefers the curtain rods, fan, or lamp.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
You are in for alot of work with a parrot, especially a Grey! They need a tremendous amount of mental stimualtion! Tons of toys and new ones added all the time. They are extremely smart and cannot be left in a cage unnattended to. They get bored very easily. They will quickly become a plucker if this happens. They need the right diet as all parrots do. I would think about it seriously before making any impulsive decision. They also, as other parrots need to be kept quiet and there cage totally covered for 12 to 13 hours a night, starting at dusk! This is also very important for the health of your parrot! I do not mean to be brash or change your mind, but many people get a parrot on impulse and the bird ends up locked in a cage suffering for many years. Or they are turned over to rescues. They are like having a 3 year old child forever and they can live over 50 years. Most people do not realize this and how much work they are! Good luck and I hope you make the right decision for the birds sake!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
Everyone is spot on with all the advice. I have rescued and re-homed several parrots and they can be a lot of work. The little conure we have now we bought from a pet store. She will go bike riding and kayaking with me and she is very quiet. She does talk quite clearly for a small conure. She says "Ricky I love you" and "Peekaboo baby" and more. She is a yellow sided Green cheek conure and when we went to the bird section of the pet store and approached the cages most of the birds ran to the back of their cages except for Peekaboo. She ran to the front and climbed all over my finger that I poked into her cage. We visited her a few times while we saved up the money to buy her, hoping she would still be there when we had all the money. Our dog (half black lab and half white pyrenees) lets her walk all over her. She will soon have her own My Space page !

Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 22,003 times
We have had our African Grey for 7 years. We were first time parrot owners. I honestly did not know what we got ourselves into at first..lol But I would not give him up for anything. They really are amazing animals. Ours took to my husband right from the beginning. I honestly thought he hated me for years. The one thing he taught me was patience. He would bite me so hard it would draw blood, and he would hiss and fluff up his feathers. It took a lot of work for him to be my friend and it was all worth it. He eats just about everything we eat. He is very spoiled just like our other animals. Though he is the boss of our house. Just be smart about the products you use around him and you can always open the windows to give him fresh air. Make sure there is nothing around his cage that he can get to that could hurt him if he chews on it. Its a lot of work but they are well worth it.

Also every bird is different. From their personalities, to food to what makes them happy. My bird does not like to be locked in his cage and covered at night. He lets us know when he is ready for the lights to be turned off by saying goodnight and continues to say it until we turn the lights off then he goes to sleep. So you will have to adjust to what your bird likes.

Last edited by BeckyVII; 03-24-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
My little conure (Peekaboo) likes to sleep clinging to the outside of her cage. I put one of my shirts over her cage at bedtime and she crawls around under the shirt for a while until she finds the perfect spot to sleep. Here is Peekaboo getting ready to go for a paddle around the lake.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss174/nomadiyak/IMAGE002.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
The best cleaner by far I have ever used is poop off and it just soaks right off and rinse and wallah you are done . I love my birds but they are by far the most work I have ever done in my life and love every minute of it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds