Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,462 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Joe, and I am new to the forums! I have been watching these threads over the past few weeks, and I must say, you are a wonderful group of people. Once again, I'm another person looking to leave his fast paced life behind, and find paradise -- in Hawaii. I'm 21, and currently live in Buffalo, NY. Anyone who has seen the weather channel will understand why I'm here on your boards, I'm sure. I have read so much the past few days, on all the numerous posts about people moving to Hawaii, yet I still have a few questions of my own.

Most situations seem to be families, couples, and for long term arrangements.
I'm just looking to get away for a year or so. My busy schedule, classes, friends,the cold... all of it! All I want to do is get away.

First off, I was looking into Hilo as my new home, however, I am open for suggestions. I'm looking for someplace small, not a bustling city. I need to be able to find a job, but nothing major. I have to be close to a beach! The only problem with Hilo being that I didn't really want a black sand beach. I want lots of sunny beautiful days! ...although the rain wouldn't bother me to much. Also, driving, I would rather leave my car behind if that would be possible. Is everything within walking distance? I would find a way to get my car there if I had to, though I read somewhere that what I drive wouldn't be suitable anyways -- a GT Convertible.

I understand the cost of living is extremely high, but if you were single and lived in something rather small, would it be that bad? I will have money saved, (and some help from my loving parents ) and plan to work throughout the summer, and move next fall... I don't think I could handle one more winter here. I really just want to explore, and see what's out there, I've spent to much time in the same place.

Well anyways, if I haven't lost your attention already, thank you for taking the time to read this.

~Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,281 times
Default hawaii

it sounds like you have your head on straight about what to expect out of hawaii....it's great to be able to do a "trial run" of an area.....1 year would be perfect to try hawaii out....my suggestion would be to ck. ot the north shore of oahu...it's a slower pace there, absolutly GORGEOUS!!!, very laid back....a lot of people will roomate there to save money...yet, you'd be close enough to the
city, to catch some interesting dining, times out etc. (honolulu 1 hour away)....people will mostly hire for partime work, so many people will work two partime jobs (depending on how much you need to live on)...keep in mind you won't have health insurance with the partime jobs....i admire what your doing and i say go for it!....my neice did the same as you a year ago..although she is thinking of going back now, she definitly has no regrets on taking the plunge

Old 02-23-2007, 01:26 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,281 times
ps...less rain on oahu north shore compared to hilo......and the waves in the winter are reallly something to see! (25 to 30 ft.)

Old 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,462 times
It's not so much a "trail Run" as an extended vacation. I don't think I could ever permanently move away from my family. It would just be nice to meet some new people, and make some new friends.

For the past 2 years I have been working for Hollister, which is a clothing store. I'm not sure how popular it is around there? I have worked both as full, and part time, depending on my college courses. I did a search at work, and we have two locations in Hawaii --

Ala Moana
1450 Ala Moana Blvd, Space 3222
Honolulu, HI 96814
808-955-4041

Pearlridge Center
98-1005 Moanalua Road, Suite 125
Aiea, HI 96701
808-485-1771

I could always transfer to a full time position with benefits. Hollister is owned by Abercrombie & Fitch, which I could also transfer too, but I'm not sure on their locations. However I just assume they are in heavily populated areas, and in huge shopping centers, like they are here.... which is the whole reason for me wanting to leave anyways, so it really wouldn't make any sense for me.
That also brings up my car question, I would probably need it then, right? I'm really just unsure of these store locations.

Thanks again,
~Joe

Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 AM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
car needed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: