Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not really - passenger counts dropped dramatically with subsidized federal government airfares. It lost half of its ridership in a span of 6 months last year. Only 859 people took the ferry last July of which many would have been tourists.

One way airfare Molokai to Maui was less than taking the ferry (about $55 for air versus $60 for ferry)
I did a dummy flight and they want to charge $400+ for two people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I did a dummy flight and they want to charge $400+ for two people.
I get $122 round trip per person including taxes on Mokulele MKK to OGG July 17 to July 18 the first one I tried

Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
Does anyone here know when the best time for my wife to apply? Here on the mainland, you submit your application to a school district that you want to teach in around April. I have a feeling an application should be submitted sooner in Hawaii.
She should have her application in as soon as possible and then ask the principals of the schools where she'd be interested in teaching if they have any openings. Then, the principal can ask the DOE to hire her. You have to be a bit proactive with the DOE if you want to be hired, from what I've heard.

As for fitting in, quiet and humble works really well around here. Bragging and keeping up with the Jones' or Shigematsu's or whoever, isn't really the style.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
She should have her application in as soon as possible and then ask the principals of the schools where she'd be interested in teaching if they have any openings. Then, the principal can ask the DOE to hire her. You have to be a bit proactive with the DOE if you want to be hired, from what I've heard.

As for fitting in, quiet and humble works really well around here. Bragging and keeping up with the Jones' or Shigematsu's or whoever, isn't really the style.

My wife is going to give a call to the recruitment office to get info. We are pretty private people and like to stay in our lane. If quiet and humble is what is good for fitting in, we like that. We now live in a neighborhood where it's people trying to outdo others and we just look at that as a waste of precious time.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 AM

With shipping, we are going to put most of our stuff in storage here, but there are some things I want to bring along. I want to bring our tools i.e. Table saw, miter saw, and numerous other power and non power tools, a couple mattresses, mountain bike, snowboard and skis, some pots and pans, some dishes and glasses, picnic table, grill, and other odds and ends like TV's and other electronics and my wife's classroom. Couches, living room furniture, kitchen table, hutch, bedroom furniture, we are going to sell. The things we would bring, I don't think we need anything close to a 20' container, but would rather something much smaller to bring the few things we want to bring. I think it would be easier to go that route than to individually mail everything over. Any suggestions?

We also have a cat. I have read a little on it and was told to follow the list to the T.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-20-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Will a POD work for you?

Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Will a POD work for you?

A POD would definitely work. There would be nothing bigger going in there other than a queen size mattress and one twin. .

Old 06-21-2017, 04:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Picnic table? That seems large, heavy and easily replaceable with one already here? Check pricing of the POD shipping and check Craig's List for the island and see if it would be easy enough to replace the tools instead of bringing them from the East Coast. Shipping that distance can't be cheap.

Some of the least expensive shipping options are those Flat Rate USPS boxes for small heavy things. Books/media has a special very inexpensive 'media rate' (at least, I think they still have it) but it's for media only. You forget and leave a pencil in the box and they open it and find it, they will charge the higher rate. You can have the boxes sent to your name at General Delivery to which ever post office you'll be near at first.

FedEx & UPS are usually much more expensive shipping options, but they have websites where you can find out the shipping rates.

There's mattress shops over here, too. It was USA Mattress or America's Mattress or something red, white & blue, then it was Train Wreck or Sleep Train or something silly and now it's Mattress Mart or some such thing. Oh, wait, now they're 'Mattress Firm'. Whatevers, but, they sell mattresses even if they can't figure out their name. Might be cheaper to buy new than to ship across the continent. I think you can get a set of dishes at Ross' for about $20? Only a set of four, though.

Otherwise, check out how much luggage you can bring. If everyone maxes out their luggage allotment, that can bring over quite a bit.

Ocean freight is usually the least expensive method to bring things over, maybe they can do ocean freight from the East Coast to here? I've not tried to get things shipped from the East Coast lately.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Picnic table? That seems large, heavy and easily replaceable with one already here? Check pricing of the POD shipping and check Craig's List for the island and see if it would be easy enough to replace the tools instead of bringing them from the East Coast. Shipping that distance can't be cheap.

Some of the least expensive shipping options are those Flat Rate USPS boxes for small heavy things. Books/media has a special very inexpensive 'media rate' (at least, I think they still have it) but it's for media only. You forget and leave a pencil in the box and they open it and find it, they will charge the higher rate. You can have the boxes sent to your name at General Delivery to which ever post office you'll be near at first.

FedEx & UPS are usually much more expensive shipping options, but they have websites where you can find out the shipping rates.

There's mattress shops over here, too. It was USA Mattress or America's Mattress or something red, white & blue, then it was Train Wreck or Sleep Train or something silly and now it's Mattress Mart or some such thing. Oh, wait, now they're 'Mattress Firm'. Whatevers, but, they sell mattresses even if they can't figure out their name. Might be cheaper to buy new than to ship across the continent. I think you can get a set of dishes at Ross' for about $20? Only a set of four, though.

Otherwise, check out how much luggage you can bring. If everyone maxes out their luggage allotment, that can bring over quite a bit.

Ocean freight is usually the least expensive method to bring things over, maybe they can do ocean freight from the East Coast to here? I've not tried to get things shipped from the East Coast lately.
Tools will be hard and expensive to replace. It would be much cheaper to send them over than to buy new ones. Also, acquiring tools is a life long thing. I'm guessing I can box them up and mail them. The reason i say the mattress is because the mattress we own is a $3000 mattress that we purchased for $500. It was the floor model and you can't get a better deal than that. Also our main TV is $1500 and paid $500 for it. Yup, it was a shelf model. Was reading that I can break down my mountain bike and box it up. That could work. We will also have to ship our Jeep. I will most likely drive it cross country and ship it from there. Yeah, plates and stuff, that is easily replaceable. The picnic table is no big deal. The grill, its a Weber and I love it and they aren't cheap. I did a dummy quote for the items we would want to ship. Waiting for them to get back to me and will see where we stand. Did it from U-pack.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM

52 posts, read 46,529 times
Quote:
Tools will be hard and expensive to replace. It would be much cheaper to send them over than to buy new ones. Also, acquiring tools is a life long thing. I'm guessing I can box them up and mail them. The reason i say the mattress is because the mattress we own is a $3000 mattress that we purchased for $500. It was the floor model and you can't get a better deal than that. Also our main TV is $1500 and paid $500 for it. Yup, it was a shelf model. Was reading that I can break down my mountain bike and box it up. That could work. We will also have to ship our Jeep. I will most likely drive it cross country and ship it from there. Yeah, plates and stuff, that is easily replaceable. The picnic table is no big deal. The grill, its a Weber and I love it and they aren't cheap.

We're moving to BI, Hilo side next month on the 26th. A few months ago I also had a long list of items to ship and obtained a hefty quote from a shipping company. But the more my wife & I thought about why we are moving in the first place.. to downsize & live simpler.. we decided that much of what was on our "Must Take" list were just things that we don't really need. Long story short... after many postings on Craigslist, and a weekend yard sale, we've sold most our things and have just a few boxes and our cars to ship... and pocketed about $5600 in the process . It was hard letting go of a few things... but again.. they're just things. Most of which I've already forgotten about. And as for the "Must Have" items, we can replace those... or not, when we get settled.

By no means am I criticizing your choice to ship your items over. That may be the best option for you. But, like me, as you start taking inventory of all your "stuff", you might find that you don't really need as many things as you thought.

Either way... Good luck with your move!

Last edited by mijax; 06-21-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island