Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That's what I have been finding in my research; that Hawaii is in high demand for teachers. Not sure why it would be very difficult for her to get hired as Viper suggested if she meets all the requirements. Maybe there is something I'm missing.
My opinion- just don't count on it. It's not a done deal. I get the feeling any teacher thinks they'd automatically get hired - I just don't buy it's that simplistic. It's a job. You have to interview. The hiring manager had to say yes. Just saying.

I read posts and it seems like any breathing qualified teacher thinks they'll be hired. I don't buy it. My opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My opinion- just don't count on it. It's not a done deal. I get the feeling any teacher thinks they'd automatically get hired - I just don't buy it's that simplistic. It's a job. You have to interview. The hiring manager had to say yes. Just saying.

I read posts and it seems like any breathing qualified teacher thinks they'll be hired. I don't buy it. My opinion.
I'm not saying it's a done deal; nothing is guaranteed in life and nothing is just given to you, but rather has to be earned. If the hiring for HDOE is a far hiring system, I have few doubts she would not be considered for a position. Being last year HDOE was short 1600 positions and one of the positions in high demand is in her content area, they really have no choice but to hire fairly. Being short 1600 positions in such a small state, one has to assume no one is knocking down any doors to teach there. By no means am I intending to come off contentious, I'm just stating the reality Hawaii's in for retaining teachers and acquiring teachers. If for whatever reason she does not receive an offer from the HDOE, she can also look into private schools. If neither of the two pan out, yeah, it will be disappointing, but we just stay in Virginia. What's meant to be is meant to be.

Not to be boastful and this will not come off humbly. She will have to do at least two interviews and she interviews very well. She can look amazing on paper, magna *** laude, will be five years contracted teaching experience, two degrees and two masters, but if she sounds like an idiot in an interview, none of her accomplishments matter. When she interviewed in Virginia, she interviewed for three school districts and received an offer from each one. She beat out numerous teachers for the same position and it is safe to assume Virginia is more competitive than Hawaii in acquiring a teaching position. Again, I'm not assuming it's a guarantee she gets an offer, but it won't be because she is not qualified. When she interviews, they may very well not like her teaching style. It might not fit into what outcome they want. They may not want to hire a teacher with two masters because they would have to pay her more. It is cheaper to hire a teacher with just a bachelors. They may think she is too old and may be too set in her ways to adjust for teaching in Hawaii. We can list the what ifs all day. All she can do is apply and take it from there. If she gets offered a position, we have a big decision to make depending on where they want her to teach. If she doesn't, we continue our life in Virginia and Hawaii will be a place we just visit. And right now she is half way through her administrative masters. If she ends up landing a administrative job here in Virginia with the DOE, we may very well decide not to move to Hawaii.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's a done deal; nothing is guaranteed in life and nothing is just given to you, but rather has to be earned. If the hiring for HDOE is a far hiring system, I have few doubts she would not be considered for a position. Being last year HDOE was short 1600 positions and one of the positions in high demand is in her content area, they really have no choice but to hire fairly. Being short 1600 positions in such a small state, one has to assume no one is knocking down any doors to teach there. By no means am I intending to come off contentious, I'm just stating the reality Hawaii's in for retaining teachers and acquiring teachers. If for whatever reason she does not receive an offer from the HDOE, she can also look into private schools. If neither of the two pan out, yeah, it will be disappointing, but we just stay in Virginia. What's meant to be is meant to be.

Not to be boastful and this will not come off humbly. She will have to do at least two interviews and she interviews very well. She can look amazing on paper, magna *** laude, will be five years contracted teaching experience, two degrees and two masters, but if she sounds like an idiot in an interview, none of her accomplishments matter. When she interviewed in Virginia, she interviewed for three school districts and received an offer from each one. She beat out numerous teachers for the same position and it is safe to assume Virginia is more competitive than Hawaii in acquiring a teaching position. Again, I'm not assuming it's a guarantee she gets an offer, but it won't be because she is not qualified. When she interviews, they may very well not like her teaching style. It might not fit into what outcome they want. They may not want to hire a teacher with two masters because they would have to pay her more. It is cheaper to hire a teacher with just a bachelors. They may think she is too old and may be too set in her ways to adjust for teaching in Hawaii. We can list the what ifs all day. All she can do is apply and take it from there. If she gets offered a position, we have a big decision to make depending on where they want her to teach. If she doesn't, we continue our life in Virginia and Hawaii will be a place we just visit. And right now she is half way through her administrative masters. If she ends up landing a administrative job here in Virginia with the DOE, we may very well decide not to move to Hawaii.
Wow! sounds like all you want to do is sue or blame Hawaii for all your problems. So sorry. Suck it up. Oh, and by the way. what do YOU do for a living. Statue?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Wow! sounds like all you want to do is sue or blame Hawaii for all your problems. So sorry. Suck it up. Oh, and by the way. what do YOU do for a living. Statue?

I'm not following your point? I have no problems and why would I sue Hawaii? If there are any issues in my life, I own them and don't pass blame on others. In our short time on the BI, we absolutely fell in love with it and know we can make a home there, but we have to be practical and realistic with our move there. We can't move there if my wife is not able to find a job. I will have a pension which will give me time to find some odd jobs here and there for a few extra bucks, but we won't move there unless she secures a teaching position first. I apologize if any of my post came off as contentious and that was never my intention. I'm not trying to pick any fight and that is not in my nature, but I think Viper is wrong imo, that the odds of her getting an offer is stacked against her. If Hawaii is desperately looking for teachers she has just as much a shot as anyone else. I don't think it is wrong to disagree with someone and have a conversation about it. Maybe he is more aware of the ins and outs of the HDOE then I realize. For all I know, he is an employee in their system and he is telling me how it is. Anyway, if she gets an offer, great, if not, so be it. I'm not going to cry about it and most definitely not sue the state of Hawaii.

I'm currently a police officer for the City of New York.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:00 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Quote:
<SNIP>They may not want to hire a teacher with two masters because they would have to pay her more. It is cheaper to hire a teacher with just a bachelors.
From what I've heard, part of the problem Hawaii has with hiring teachers is that they don't always recompense teachers for their higher degrees. Starting teachers may all get the same amount, no matter how many higher degrees they have or years of experience. Which pretty much means they're hiring new teachers so they not only lose folks who are unable to make the switch to Hawaii, but they also lose some teachers who find out teaching isn't really what they thought it was. I could be wrong about this, though, but I think I overheard some teachers talking about the relatively low pay they were getting since all the new hire salaries were the same and they were experienced, etc. etc.

This is common in Hawaii, though. There's a lot of folks who will take lesser pay to have a job in Hawaii so they do and that pretty much drags all the wages lower since employers know they can get folks willing to work for less.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:05 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Oh, Mijax, sorry for not noticing the topic had expanded to includ racism earlier! I'd reread some of the posts and then noticed you had been responding to something the OP had said and weren't adding in a new topic. Oooops! You were entirely correct in your writing and I'd made a mistake not noticing the topic had expanded.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
From what I've heard, part of the problem Hawaii has with hiring teachers is that they don't always recompense teachers for their higher degrees. Starting teachers may all get the same amount, no matter how many higher degrees they have or years of experience. Which pretty much means they're hiring new teachers so they not only lose folks who are unable to make the switch to Hawaii, but they also lose some teachers who find out teaching isn't really what they thought it was. I could be wrong about this, though, but I think I overheard some teachers talking about the relatively low pay they were getting since all the new hire salaries were the same and they were experienced, etc. etc.

This is common in Hawaii, though. There's a lot of folks who will take lesser pay to have a job in Hawaii so they do and that pretty much drags all the wages lower since employers know they can get folks willing to work for less.
From the website it looks like she would fall into step 7. She would already qualify to have her SATEP and she will have 5 years experience as a contracted teacher. Who knows though. If her starting salary is $38,000, that's horrible. Virginia teachers don't even have a union and they start out more than Hawaii teachers. Why even have a union? Though nationwide other than the northeast and probably California, teachers get paid crap. That's why in NY property taxes for an average house can range from $10K to $25K a year. Cops also do very well in those states as well. Teachers, cops, and firefighters salaries are well above a $100K. Then when you look at the Virginia state police, their starting salary is $38K, after the academy it goes up to $42K, and after 12 years of service goes up to $46K. They don't have a union or association either.

$38K would be a tough salary for her to start out with especially in Hawaii. She can call recruitment to make sure.

http://www.hawaiipublicschools.org/D...rySch16-17.pdf

Old 07-11-2017, 05:34 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times
idk, i think you're speaking out of naivety, which is an observation, not an insult.

To understand WHY there's a teacher shortage, you must understand the reasons for it. And there are very good reasons why Hawaii has one of the highest teacher turnover rates in the nation, and are perpetually short on teachers. And understand why they advertise in mainland markets trying to find suckers, I mean qualified instructors. Logically, if teaching jobs in hawaii were so great, or even so average, locals would be snapping these jobs up until there wasn't a shortage! Instead, they're advertising nationally to pull as many (proverbial) warm bodies as they can off the streets!

- Low initial teacher salary, very high cost of living. Many new teachers quit after the first few years because the cost of living numbers simply don't pencil out. The starting salaries are abysmal. Maybe if you take extra work over the summer breaking big rocks into little ones or something you can make ends meet, but many teachers find it's simply not worth it. Especially given the extra time they put in the classroom trying to help the keeds. Then you consider the fact that certain more difficult teaching jobs, such as SPED or teaching in low income areas don't pay more than other teaching assignments, and its easy to see why teachers run, not walk for the exit.

- Lack of support from the HSTA bureaucracy. YMMV, but you're largely on your own in the classroom without much support from the administration. Many teachers buy and provide supplies to the kids because this type of support is absent. Many kids are from poor or broken families, if you're trying to get them to color with crayons, there will be no coloring done unless you provide the crayons. Etc.

- Getting dumped in high turnover, low income areas. Like most union jobs, seniority means a lot, and lack of it means that you don't really have much of a choice of it when it comes to the location and type of assignment you'll be assigned. So fresh out of school or fresh off the plane, you'll get dumped out in the boonies, and your classroom will likely consist of kids that aren't motivated to learn, to say the very least. Talk about setting people up for failure, huh? You'd think that they want veteran teachers for these areas because they're better able to help the kids and deal with the stresses of the job, but nope. The teachers with seniority get to teach in higher income, easier areas.

IMO it takes a special type of person to teach in hawaii and be successful in the long term. A lot of sacrifice for menial pay. You do not become a teacher in hawaii because you are trying to make a living wage or because of the shorter work year. You do it because you helping the kids. The highest paying education jobs in the state isn't in the classrooms as teachers, it's working in the administration. If you can work your way up to become part of the bureaucracy, you wont have to deal with issues in your classroom, and make a lot more money than these newbie teachers, probably double.

I think you're better off teaching in private schools or in the college system. At the very least, the kids will be more motivated towards learning.

Last edited by rya96797; 07-11-2017 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 06:06 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,440 times
you really need to rent, and not buy initially. buying without living here in hawaii is a mistake.

and rent in hilo, not puna (stereotyping here) unless you like dealing with the local version of rednecks, all too frequently drugged out, and probably the highest petty theft rate in hawaii.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
you really need to rent, and not buy initially. buying without living here in hawaii is a mistake.

and rent in hilo, not puna (stereotyping here) unless you like dealing with the local version of rednecks, all too frequently drugged out, and probably the highest petty theft rate in hawaii.

I did notice that on the BI, that y'all have your version of rednecks, Hawaiian rednecks. Lot of jacked up pick-up trucks and Jeeps with oversized tires. We have the same thing in Virginia, but Hawaii is missing the Confederate flag flying on their trucks, but I did see the state flag flying proudly. Mudding is a pastime here in Virginia, not sure what the pastime is in Hawaii for your version of rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island