Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

42 posts, read 64,748 times

Advertisements

Anyone else catch this show on the History Channel? It's about 8 different "clans" who live completely off the land, off grid on the east side of the Big Island. I didn't want to see all the hunting, but I like hearing the accents and I wanted to see a non-tourist part of the island

One thing I thought was amusing, is that the hunting season is supposed to take place during the "dry" season. It was raining every day they filmed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1122 View Post
Anyone else catch this show on the History Channel? It's about 8 different "clans" who live completely off the land, off grid on the east side of the Big Island. I didn't want to see all the hunting, but I like hearing the accents and I wanted to see a non-tourist part of the island
It looks like those some of those "clans" were hunting in my "backyard", considering that I left a couple of hundred acres of it in its "natural state", complete with lava tubes and wild pigs. "Scotty Boy" and "Charlie Boy" of the "Spear Clan" are probably cousins of mine.

Folks that didn't catch the show can watch it online at the History Channel's website...
Watch American Jungle Full Episodes & Videos Online - History.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1122 View Post
One thing I thought was amusing, is that the hunting season is supposed to take place during the "dry" season. It was raining every day they filmed!!!
It still rains quite a bit on the Hilo side of the Big Island even during the "dry" season.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

It still rains quite a bit on the Hilo side of the Big Island even during the "dry" season.
Indeed Hilo's average driest month is wetter than Portland, Oregon's wettest month.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,444 times
I just watched the first episode and I now feel that I have a complete understanding of what life must be like in Kailua for Whtviper1.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM

189 posts, read 260,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
"Scotty Boy" and "Charlie Boy" of the "Spear Clan" are probably cousins of mine.
You must be proud...

Old 11-30-2013, 08:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,444 times
From The Ka`u Calendar News Briefs
The Ka`u Calendar News Briefs, Hawai`i Island

THE HISTORY CHANNEL’S NEW SERIES AMERICAN JUNGLE misrepresents 
hunting in Hawai`i, according to a statement from Department of Land & Natural Resources. DLNR finds the series’ depiction of hunting activities “to be inaccurate, offensive, and in some cases, potentially illegal.” The department has launched an investigation into possible law violations occurring during filming of the show. Activities such as night hunting depicted in the show, both on public and private land, are illegal.

Division of Forestry and Wildlife, which oversees DLNR’s hunting program, denied a permit request last spring for the production to film on state forest lands.
“We denied the film permit request because it failed to provide sufficient details to indicate the show’s content and raised concerns as to possible illegal activities that might be depicted in the series,” stated DLNR chair William Aila, Jr.

“Cultural insensitivity of the series is also a concern to DLNR,” the statement said. “The series depicts ‘clans’ that are fighting over access trails to territorial hunting grounds that inaccurately portray restrictive access to Hawai`i’s public lands, which are held in public trust for the people.”
In the first episode of the series, spears and dogs were used to hunt a cow. “However, in an archival review of more than 60,000 historical documents, there is no evidence that native Hawaiians hunted pigs in the forest with spears, let alone cattle,” the statement said. Cattle are not recognized as game animals in Hawai`i and are illegal to hunt without a special feral cattle control permit.

“Hunting serves important historical, cultural and practical roles in Hawai`i,” said Gov. Neil Abercrombie. “When guided by lawful and ethical hunting practices, hunting supports worthy conservation objectives in protection of native species and habitats against invasive and destructive elements. Portraying our local hunters as primitives demeans our people and their contributions to subsistence and wildlife conservation. This appears to be a fictional ‘reality’ production with no connection to actual hunters in Hawai`i. If we discover any laws or regulations have been broken, we will vigorously pursue legal and/or criminal charges.”

Others expressing concern in the statement are Hawai`i County Game Management Advisory Commissioner Willie-Joe Camara, Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement chief Randy Awo and Inga Gibson, Hawai`i director of The Humane Society.

On the Facebook page for rustyboar.com, TJaye Ailama Forsythe, who came up with the idea for the series, responded to DLNR’s statement: “This is a television show, not a documentary. Television shows have fictional and non-fictional elements to them. American Jungle was considered more of a reality show because these are not actors, and they are not reading from a script. If the show was meant to be an accurate depiction of hunting in Hawai`i, we would have created a documentary.”

Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
Not to mention the heinous pidgin accents.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Not to mention the heinous pidgin accents.
Gotta love that unique Hawaiian Culture this show brings to all of us.......

Must be why all the tourists flock here.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
It is so sad that some tv goofs decided to have a "reality" show that is so far away from any truth. Yes, we do have people who hunt wild animals here on the Big Island, but (1) I don't know of any "clans" who hunt together, (2) they hunt feral pigs and sheep mainly, although now they are hunting the axis deer that were brought over illegally, (3) they hunt with guns and dogs, not spears and dogs.

Kinda makes me sad to think of how my home is being portrayed on national tv. I hope that not many people watch it.

Makes me wonder how true to life the show "Alaska The Last Frontier" is.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
It is so sad that some tv goofs decided to have a "reality" show that is so far away from any truth.
I hate to tell ya, but "reality" shows are not reality... never were, never will be. They are heavily produced, typically pre-scripted, with Production Assistants constantly prodding the participants, feeding them lines and ideas, creating artificial situations, trying to get people to fight with each other, trying to get people to do stupid things, IOW, to do anything that is less boring than what real people actually do 99.9% of the time. I mean really, would anybody want to watch a show about your life?

I get why producers and networks love them, because they are faster and easier and cheaper to produce than almost anything else. Why I can't understand is why people watch them. They're bogus.

Quote:
Yes, we do have people who hunt wild animals here on the Big Island, but (1) I don't know of any "clans" who hunt together, (2) they hunt feral pigs and sheep mainly, although now they are hunting the axis deer that were brought over illegally, (3) they hunt with guns and dogs, not spears and dogs.
The State also recently opened a limited season of hunting for feral cows on the Mauna Kea slopes, up around the Mile 22 marker on Saddle Road. I can't find the details now that applications have closed, but I think a suitable rifle or shotgun was required. No bowhunting. Oh, and turkeys are also popular with hunters.

Quote:
Makes me wonder how true to life the show "Alaska The Last Frontier" is.
See above.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-06-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: