Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM

51 posts, read 119,522 times

Advertisements

<h3>can anybody tell me if kona paradise in captain cook is a good place to live. Schools, shopping, crime, beaches are my main concern... Thanks for your help!

</h3>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:00 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Have you looked at a map? The only beach is Pebble Beach down at the bottom of the subdivision.

Captain Cook has a decent size grocery store, hardware store, and Farmer's Market.

Read the other threads here about schools in Hawaii. I would imagine that kids in KP would go to Konawaena schools.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM

151 posts, read 329,784 times
I can't seem to find much online about Kona Paradise either...I too like the looks of the expansive ocean views from all the houses. It looks like you need a car with good brakes from the steep hill, that you're a good 30 minutes or longer from Kona (considering slow island roads) that you won't have county water (catchment) and that Pebble Beach sometimes has an undertow. I wonder if there is cell phone service and high speed internet there - I'm assuming so since they have cable tv? I too am curious about the schools in Captain Cook as well, along with any other comments about living in that area or raising kids in that area.....

Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,272 times
I'd suggest your car have good brakes no matter where you live. Is this for a permanent relocation or vacation home?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
I I wonder if there is cell phone service and high speed internet there - I'm assuming so since they have cable tv?
Assume nothing.

Yes, you are likely to have internet service available if you have cable tv, but don't assume you have cable tv. And in particular, don't assume you will have cell phone coverage just because it is generally available in the area.. Your specific micro-geography has a lot to do with it. I get 4 bar reception at my place but my neighbor is shaded from the tower and barely gets 1 bar. At my friend's house near Pahoa he has coverage, while I can't get a connection. If you look at the coverage maps for the different carriers you will get an idea of how many holes there are in the coverage.

And don't assume the listing is accurate.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
Cel phone coverage is indeed spotty. And one phone service might work while another not. I have Sprint, and I cannot even get a constant connection when headed to S. Kona from town, and have to keep my phone plugged in or turned off (the battery goes dead from the tower searching). The phone also does not work well in some rooms of my house.

But another family member has Nextel, and it works fine while in the same car. And works in every room of our house. You'll need to ask your neighbors what service they use, and hope that your house gets the same good reception as their house.

By the way, Nextel is being shut down (Sprint is in control of Nextel), so don't think you've found an easy solution with them.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Relocation Samoi137

Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM

CyberCity & OpenD, you two are so knowledgable...I think I'm going to need you to greet me at the airport (wearing leis and Aloha shirts and slippahs of course and be my personal concierges and tour guides! Thanks guys!

"Never assume anything" will be my new motto

Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
"Never assume anything" will be my new motto
Ahhhhhhh, I feel like I've finally made a difference...

You're very welcome. I love to help people when I can. That's why I participate here.

The hardest thing for people to understand about Hawai'i, ironically, is that it is not like anyplace else. They are attracted to Hawai'i for what they find attractive about it because of its differences from what they are used to, then lose sight of the fact that everything is different about Hawai'i, in ways they simply cannot predict.

My own personal "aha" moment came the first time I went to wear a pair of leather shoes I had not worn for a while and I found them to have turned moldy under the bed.

A lot of one's satisfaction with living in Hawai'i has to do with one's flexibility, adaptability, and willingness to embrace change. I forget who originally posted the story here, a long time ago, but I will never forget it... about the woman who moved here, and who had a lovely home and the means to live comfortably, but who was making plans to move back to the mainland because she simply couldn't stand living someplace where she so had so much trouble finding fresh blueberries at the supermarket.

Good luck on your voyage of discovery!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
And those "aha" moments never end, either. Each time I move to a different house, it is a new "aha". Maybe it's mold on the leather chaps that never had mold before; or dirt so fine you cannot "see" it but can "feel" it underfoot on a wood floor; or how a kitchen appliance can rust in one house in a half-year, when it did not rust in 5 in the old house; or water-tank water is best left for showers and clothes washing, and not for drinking; or that ohana is buried in that little cemetery behind the church. And there is the all-common "hey you are my cousin's ex-wife's son!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island