Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 PM

17 posts, read 40,532 times

Advertisements

Mahalo to all who have offered their opinions and suggestions, we are really having second thoughts about this area as the annual rainfall is almost 3-5 times greater then where we live now. We are looking for an area that gets less than 50 inches of annual rainfall. It appears this is going to be on the other side of the island somewhere between Capt. Cook and Kona..so now is the time for people living on that side of the island to jump in here and offer up their views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachsean View Post
Mahalo to all who have offered their opinions and suggestions, we are really having second thoughts about this area as the annual rainfall is almost 3-5 times greater then where we live now. We are looking for an area that gets less than 50 inches of annual rainfall.
Remember what I said about microclimates? There are bands of 30 - 50" rainfall running nearly all the way around the Big Island, if that's what you're looking for. Matter of fact, if you want to look at where cattle are pasteured today, I'd scout out the alpine meadows above Puna, and the areas around Waimea.

Here's a link to a rainfall map for your reference. http://www.hiloagent.com/images/Hawa...d_Rainfall.jpg

Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks D, have spent what seems like days looking over rainfall maps and annual totals. This is going to take some time to find what we want. Starting to feel like goldilocks looking for just the right one not to windy, not to dry, not to wet and not too far..hahaha

Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Less then fifty inches of rain may not be good. That's on an average and in less than average years, you'll be in drought conditions which means dry dusty and whoever dusts the house will be less than happy. If you get four inches of rain in an hour, that will add up pretty quick. If that same four inches shows up as mist and fog, it's gonna be an entirely different critter. You can't really use raw rainfall data to actually select a spot. You have to see what that rainfall actually looks like.

Also, if you find a spot you just love, it won't really matter if it gets more or less rain than the "perfect" amount. Fly over and visit for a couple of days, look around the area and get a good overview. Figure out what amenities you want access to and see what areas have those amenities. Moving over and renting for a couple of months or better yet a year, would go along way towards getting the perfect spot.

Other than rainfall and geography, there is the social aspect of where to live as well. Look around at the people in the area you want to live in. If they are your sort of people, then that will be somewhere you'd be comfortable living. Some areas have a lot higher percentage of transplants than others, some areas you can wear your rubber boots to the grocery store and blend in, some places spurs in the grocery store won't raise any eyebrows, other areas are more the fruit-on-a-stick-in-your-drink kinda places.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Some areas have a lot higher percentage of transplants than others, some areas you can wear your rubber boots to the grocery store and blend in, some places spurs in the grocery store won't raise any eyebrows, other areas are more the fruit-on-a-stick-in-your-drink kinda places.
I'd be really happy if I could find a fruit-on-a-stick-in-your-drink kinda place near me where I could wear my rubber boots.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Will be over soon to walk through some properties and get a feel for the area. As for the fruit on a stick drink thing, no thanks I'll have to pass on that kinda crowd, not my scene. But if you have some single malt scotch that works for me

Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
What's the chance of finding Cruzan Rum in HI? I'd rather wear my rubber slippahs than boots, though.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 PM

21 posts, read 43,548 times
I'd be willing to wager that the chances of finding Cruzan are pretty close to nil. Plenty of Sailor Jerry and Hana Bay (and Bacardi, of course). Mr. Shorty and I are quite fond of Whalers, which is what most of the places we frequent float on the top of their mai tais.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
What's the chance of finding Cruzan Rum in HI? I'd rather wear my rubber slippahs than boots, though.
No worries. Cruzan is a favorite in Hawai'i too, and periodically sponsors Bartender competitions. Rum and tropical fruit juices are made for each other, right?

Of course, being so close to the action in St. Croix, as you've been, I'm sure you're aware that Cruzan today isn't all that it used to be, since they were bought by the Beam organization... The Death of Cruzan Rum - Spirits - Chowhound

Once you're settled, you might enjoy trying some fine Hawiian rums, of which there are a few, such as Koloa rum, a premium single batch rum made from Hawaiian cane sugar on Kaua`i; and Okolehao Hawaiian Rum single barrel rum from Maui.

Hana Bay and Lahaina and Malibu, not so much. They're made elsewhere and just marketed as Hawaiian. .

Okole maluna!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Nah, I don't need to read articles, Cruzan here is da bomb. When I try others, I'm right back to Cruzan (dark of course).

But, we look forward to sampling the local rums as well!!!

Paid for our flights today...we will be HI residents late August! No sweat booking the dogs as carry-on baggage, despite dire warnings by one gloom 'n' doom poster. $100/dog all the way FLL-KOA (three flights). Alaska Airlines ROCKS and OMG the customer service reps are the best, so friendly and patient.

For those who will feel the need to post that I need to do this that and the other with the dogs before arriving...it's done, HI is getting the documents express mail Monday, Kona receiving vet hired.

Now to sell ALL OUR STUFF...

Manager of a local charity thrift shop has her eye on whatever's left before we fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island