Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM

6 posts, read 8,584 times

Advertisements

I have a potential opportunity to transfer to Volcano National Park on the Big Island for my job. I have never been to Hawaii. I have traveled quite a bit and love new places and new people. My children are grown, so it would be just me. I am a bit older, and more established. However, I am ready for a change and some new adventure. Am I crazy? Any advice, similar stories, or any suggestions on the best places to live in proximity to working at the park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:25 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,536,547 times
Assuming that the job pays enough for you to survive, why not?
As to living near the park, it is much cooler at that elevation and while the rain isn't really that heavy, it does mist a lot and is cloudy much more than some lower elevations.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,820,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianMomAloha View Post
I have a potential opportunity to transfer to Volcano National Park on the Big Island for my job.
Wow what a great offer. From your description of being independent at this stage of your life, I'd say to jump at the chance to spend extensive time at the park! Did I say WOW lucky you yet?

Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,708,585 times
You say that you are ready for some new adventure, so how could you possibly go wrong with living in Hawaii?

There are places to live within minutes from the entrance to the park. Depends on how much you want to pay. We have friends who are renting a beautiful 2-bedroom house about a mile from the park and they pay $1,200 a month. You could go further away to Mountain View, Keaau or even Hilo, which is only a 1/2 hour drive.

Read up on the many posts on this forum about the Hilo area.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 AM

mdand3boys: Thanks so much for your response. I am pretty sure it is enough to survive...I hope.
I have read a lot of information in this forum about how difficult it is to live there, financially. So it does worry me a little. I just want to be comfortable. Of course, my definition and other's definition of comfortable mya not be the same. Mine is basic needs plus a little to have fun ever so often.

CyberCity: The offer is not definite yet, but I wanted to do as much research as I could just in case it becomes a reality. I felt like it was a wonderful opportunity and that I was LUCKY! But after reading so many negative postings, I began to get a little worried. Thanks so much for your response!

Dreaming of Hawaii: Adventure ='s Hawaii! At least that is what I have always thought. Maybe I will get to experience it soon. My plan was to rent somewhere small for 6 months or so before I decided where to live for the long-run. I will check out all those places. I drive 45 minutes to get to work one way now, so 30 minutes doesn't sound to bad. Which would you recommend for a single person...closer to Hilo area or a couple miles from the park in terms of safety and access to market's, etc.?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Dreaming of Hawaii...thanks for your response also!!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,512,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianMomAloha View Post
I drive 45 minutes to get to work one way now, so 30 minutes doesn't sound to bad. Which would you recommend for a single person...closer to Hilo area or a couple miles from the park in terms of safety and access to market's, etc.?
You could commute, but I don't recommend it. Keep in mind that with gas approaching $5/gal, long daily commutes are expensive. And driving up and down the mountain from sea level (Hilo) to the park (4,000 feet) is not great for gas mileage. Plus, with frequent rain and fog and early darkness, traffic often only moves about 45 mph. That's one reason why so many people who work in the park live in and around the village of Volcano. A daily commute of a mile or two is fairly tolerable.

Save the distance drive for your weekly shopping. There are two small groceries in Volcano, OK for quick fill-ins... a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine... (and The Volcano Store has fantastic orchids), but their overall selection is too limited and too expensive for regular weekly shopping. The nearest supermarket and pharmacy are 20 miles downslope at Keaau, and major shopping is another 5 miles to Hilo.

I tell people the weather in Volcano reminds me of Seattle, and the community feel is one of its best features. According to the census, the average adult education level in the Volcano Census District is "some graduate school," and it's an internationally known artists' colony, so despite being tiny, the cultural offerings are off the charts. The Sunday morning Farmer's Market (6am to 10am) is fabulous, and a great place to meet and greet the neighbors.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-25-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Wow - everyone wants you to pick and move. I'll buck the trend and suggest since you've never been to Hawaii - you at least take a vacation first to the area before making a decision.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,788,841 times
I agree with Viper. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity but you should really go there in person if only for a few days.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,825,264 times
I also agree with whtviper1, you should visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island