Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,145 times

Advertisements

Aloha, everyone!
This is my second posting and my first posting was about how is it like to live in Hilo.
I want to thank you all for the comments and It helped me and my family alot on making a big move.
We have decided to visit Big Island next month to see how it is and to find a place. Even though It's pretty obvious that there is really now swimable beach around Hilo, Is it really true!? I'm sorry but I must hear this from the residents because I cannot believe it ... !
I'm a very beach friendly person, love swimming and scuba diving and most of the research says that the beaches around Hilo area is quiet dangerous with the rocks and there is a black sand beach up to north. Is there any beach that you think I could go to for a quick swim around Hilo or Puna?
Due to my boyfriend's education(plan to attend UH community and transfer to UH), we will only have to live around Hilo, we would love to live in Kona with more social life and nicer beaches but there seem to be no school around in Kona area really. If there is any school system around Kona, Please let me know!
Also, When you first move to Big Island, Where do you usually shop your furniture? If i shop from Costco or Kmart in Kona, Do they deliver it to Puna area..?Thank you so much!!!

Ps how is Maui??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
There are places to swim around Hilo and there are beaches, too. They just aren't the big sweeping white sandy type beaches shown on postcards. Hilo beaches have a lot more rocks than sand, but there's places to swim anyway. Try Richardson's, it's sort of little tidepools with bigger swimming holes along the coast. There's sandy spots, but not be sweeping white sands.

Kids like swimming off of coconut island, too. That's in Hilo Bay itself. There's Honoli'i just on the Waimea side of Hilo. I think that's "North", it's on the Waimea side of Hilo anyway.

For furniture, there are loads of garage sales each weekend. That's the least expensive method of getting new furniture. There's also Craig's List and several furniture places in and around Hilo. To start out with an inflatable bed might be a good start. They are about $50 and would last while you were looking for the rest of your furniture. You'd then be able to stash it away and bring it out when you have mainland guests visiting and needed more sleeping places.

Garage sales also have all those little household goods that make life easier but are expensive when you have to buy them all new. Dish towels, spatulas, small carpets, flower pots, lamps, Tupperware, small appliances, etc. etc. They've also all been pre-selected at least once by somebody and then lasted long enough to be sold again so that sort of thins the herd a little there.

Hilo probably has a nicer social life for college age folks than Kailua in the Kona district. There are a lot more university students in Hilo town these days whereas Kailua is an older group. More touristy and more retired folks "living in Paradise".

Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 12,145 times
Thank you hotzcatz!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Big Island Puna Beach Guide, Puna Hawaii Beaches, Big Island Puna Beaches In Puna

Ahalanui County Park Beach
More of a warm pond

Kapoho Tide Pools (Wai'opae Marine Sanctuary)
very easy nice snorkel with warm water mixed in

Kehena
When surf is right (can get bad) very nice to snorkel in area for good swimmer. Although weekends very busy and crowd will contain every type of person/personality imagined. Clothing optional. Sundays are very busy. The black sand was taken by a storm but is slowly coming back.

Issac Hale - Pohoiki
pretty much surf spot and fishing boats. You can get in water but...

MacKenzie - don't even try ever

In that link Pualaa is the same as warm pond

You can swim as Hotzcat said also in Hilo..

Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM

502 posts, read 985,667 times
Default Swimming in Hawaii if you are a haole

It is prudent to bring another person or be in a group in case there is a bad case of stink eye around, and you will be happier in the whole - yeah? Remember that the trouble makers seem to all ways travel together as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island